giving other guys a chance

shootingstar

My niece who is a rom-com (romance) writer, tweeted this out this wk.  Her specialty is interracial love.

In her novels  (she has over 10 published titles), one of the individuals in main couple, is Asian or part-Asian. Her specialty is also that the storyline /background of main characters is that each person exists with a family, so in the secondary plot /or at least background, sometimes includes sibling(s), parent or grandparent.  She doesn't want the non-white character as a solo exotic person surrounded by whites just to add "diversity" to a storyline.  She wants to normalize that non-white person in the plot.

I'm proud of niece who doesn't want play up old stereotypes.

image.png.94bab2eb0a593c94a2b0857829e219c2.png

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

My niece who is a rom-com (romance) writer, tweeted this out this wk.  Her specialty is interracial love.

In her novels  (she has over 10 published titles), one of the individuals in main couple, is Asian or part-Asian. Her specialty is also that the storyline /background of main characters is that each person exists with a family, so in the secondary plot /or at least background, sometimes includes sibling(s), parent or grandparent.  She doesn't want the non-white character as a solo exotic person surrounded by whites just to add "diversity" to a storyline.  She wants to normalize that non-white person in the plot.

I'm proud of niece who doesn't want play up old stereotypes.

image.png.94bab2eb0a593c94a2b0857829e219c2.png

Based on current TV commercials, interracial love has become a stereotype.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Based on current TV commercials, interracial love has become a stereotype.

Not sure I would call it a stereotype, but a reflection of the real world. Even though there are higher levels of racism around here than I would like to admit, there are also a significant level of inter racial and cross cultural relationships. Enough that it is starting to be more normalized. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

31 minutes ago, groupw said:

Not sure I would call it a stereotype, but a reflection of the real world. Even though there are higher levels of racism around here than I would like to admit, there are also a significant level of inter racial and cross cultural relationships. Enough that it is starting to be more normalized. 

Sure, normalized is the best word.

Just trying to understand Mick's "stereotype" in TV.  The only thing I can think of. that interracial couples are still visibly rarer so that maybe in commercials it looks "too ideal", especially for various parts of North America and many social circles.

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

Sure, normalized is the best word.

Just trying to understand Mick's "stereotype" in TV.  The only thing I can think of. that interracial couples are still visibly rarer so that maybe in commercials it looks "too ideal", especially for various parts of North America and many social circles.

I think it’s also where you live. In culturally diverse areas like SoCal mixed marriages are common and it’s not just white and (fill in the blank).  Asians & Hispanics, Blacks & Asians, Hispanic & Black.  It runs the gamut out here.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I think it’s also where you live. In culturally diverse areas like SoCal mixed marriages are common and it’s not just white and (fill in the blank).  Asians & Hispanics, Blacks & Asians, Hispanic & Black.  It runs the gamut out here.  

It sure does matter where one lives  --only in terms what is noticeable. I personally don't know any Hispanics and Asians as couple. There are increasingly more immigrants from Latin American countries, including Mexico in Canada.  But to me, it's only been in the last 4 decades in noticeable numbers ...only in top big Canadian cities. I'm just basing on how much Spanish I hear out on the streets and for national/global employers I've worked for.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

The same here

• Heart 1

Just to give an idea..I was on VAncouver Island 3 wks. ago. We were listening to free jazz concert in the town square area.  There must have been 200 people on a lovely summer evening. I saw ..well, less than 5 people of colour. For sure it was not like a big city crowd at all in demographics. 1 of them was a black singer on stage..and she was from Toronto.  It must have been the music genre.... that attracted a certain demographic that evening in that area.

But anyway, it felt kinda wierd to me (and same old thing all over again, same feelin' all over again to me whenever in small towns or rural areas). The area probably has enough people with money for a vacation home in the area plus the locals who might be more the boomer hippish but actually lived interesting lives.  

The region actually has a strong local aboriginal presence in many different ways... since there are several aboriginal reserves, facilities, etc.  I know there was a Chinatown historically but that got demolished about 40 years ago or so. 

We left her hubby enjoying the music since he loves playing/jammin' on harmonica with his friends on this type of music.  She wanted to show me some of the local totem poles and mural she participated in painting a small corner.

On 7/31/2021 at 5:25 PM, ChrisL said:

Here as well.