Should I start drinking my lunch?

Square Wheels

I'm thinking about a juice "fast".  

I watched Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead this weekend, and while I don't usually fall for fad diets, this show reinforced a lot of what I've been hearing over the years.

I could use it to drop the last 10 - 20 pounds I want to lose.

I'd be thrilled if I discovered my bladder issue was related to something in my diet.  The thousand urologists I've seen and several surgeries and countless drugs I've taken have all failed me.  This can't hurt.

Have any of you tried a juice diet for an extended period of time?

If I try it, will I die from it?

Why would you drink only juice, unless you have to for medical reasons?

Without proper calorie intake, you will lose muscle, further lowering your BMR.

You will run a protein deficit.....again, losing muscle and further lowering your BMR.

You will be loading up on sugar and limted nutrient intake....again, lowering your BMR.

bad idea if you ask me.

• Heart 1

oh, I thought you meant like hitting the bar and knocking back a few shots

you know, drinking lunch like a man

But now I see you mean juicing like a sissy-boy

Hell no, you should kill you a deer, put it in an ice chest, and eat off of him till he's gone

• Heart 1

oh, I thought you meant like hitting the bar and knocking back a few shots

you know, drinking lunch like a man

But now I see you mean juicing like a sissy-boy

Hell no, you should kill you a deer, put it in an ice chest, and eat off of him till he's gone

Can you juice a deer?

It was a good movie (I heard that the a Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead 2 is about to come out).

I don't think it will hurt you, and if you think you can, try it. I get too hungry with only juice and couldn't do it. Heck...I have trouble doing only juice even for one meal.

I'd be thrilled if I discovered my bladder issue was related to something in my diet.  

This can't hurt.

I would suggest it may be more practical to modify your current diet by adding what you think you may be missing or deleting what you think is causing the problem.  Changing one or two things would be a more controlled process where you'd would more readily see what effects the changes you've made are having.

Plunging into a radical diet change could cause a whole host of physical changes - some wanted, some unwanted.  If your desire to change your diet is driven by a reasoned choice supported by fact then have at it.  If your desire to change your diet is driven more by frustration and emotion then I'd recommend taking another look to find out what it really could do to you.

I don't know.  I am very temped to go on a cleanse with fruits and vegetable matter only.   However, I really fear the lack of protein would put me in the realm of tissue cannibalization.  My body is very lean and I don't want to lose one ounce of muscle mass

My idea of a cleanse is to avoid all processed stuff and eat lean animal muscle and lots of veg matter.  That diet makes me feel great.  I would like to cut out sugar and wheat all together, but it is very hard.  I would like to do a test on how I feel on that diet.  

Just a though....I have heard you mention about being gluten free.  I have noticed that the gluten free bread and flours is very refined and heavily processed grains.  Those things can cause a sugar spike as well.  They use things like tapioca flour, potato starch, rice flour, etc.  Lots of natural sugars in those.  Too much sugar makes you want to pee.  Take the sugars out and you might be on to some answers.

It might be ok in the short term, but it's not a long term solution to your problem. I have a friend who did the juicer thing after seeing that movie, He dropped a lot of weight very fast, but rebounded even higher when he stopped. Your best bet is to make changes in your lifestyle and diet that you can live with going forward. It's kind of like resetting your thermostat. Make a change in your diet and see where you settle out, then make another, and so on...

Like some have said, start by eliminating as many processed foods as you can and go with fresh, then maybe try cutting carbs or gluten.   If you try to make too many changes all at once or do something really radical, I think you just set yourself up for failure.  I'm going through this process right now due to some health issues (I'll explain some other time), so I know what you're going through.

Hang in there and hit me up if you need some recipes or ideas as you make the journey...

Hmm, to the original point, I think that juice cleanses or fasts are for people that have lots of weight to lose or lots of bad habits that they cannot taper off of, not with normal willpower, anyway.  Since you have been losing weight and have been exercising with intensity, I think you would lose to much muscle mass and not enough fat if you kept at it very long.  

For a weekend, might be good, though, shock the body and all.  I don't think a fast or cleanse is gonna work with the bladder issue, though.  I do like the shock and awe aspects, but the benefits are hard to maintain. 

Food is hard.