What's this sites future?

Square Wheels
Go to solution Solved by Ralphie,

I still wonder what will happen when I'm gone. 

I'm not a company that has a plan to sustain it.

It's a big site with a lot of files and a big database, so not simple to transfer, but doable.

I've asked a few times over the years for someone to take it over, no serious offers.

I stopped having fun here a while ago.  I think my life is catching up to me, feeling sad most of the time.

One of the last straws here was a kind and simple request to not post TdF spoilers, boy was that met with hostility.

I need to update the software, probably next week.  After that, I won't be around much for a bit. 

The mods here are fantastic.  They can do anything I can do.

• Sad 4
  • Hugs 3

2 minutes ago, Redfacedwalrus said:

We're here for you, SW! If you need to take some time off, I'll be around for any moderation requests that come through. And maybe I'll share some more catgut. :)

Anyone can @ me if they notice server/forum software issues and I'll do my best to knock them out from my side of things.

Hey!! Long time no see! Welcome back.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

Just now, maddmaxx said:

Should this place dry up I will have no forums left.  I take part in a couple of facebook drag racing groups bu this is the last light still on before the dark night.

But yet, is it really @Square Wheels responsibility to tend to us if he would rather noT?  Sad but maybe a reality. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Should this place dry up I will have no forums left.  I take part in a couple of facebook drag racing groups bu this is the last light still on before the dark night.

Same here.   And i deactivated my fb account in January.   I don't miss it.   I'll be deleting it.

• Heart 2

27 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I stopped having fun here a while ago. 

So, SW, serious question - what would make it fun?

Secondly, maybe it's time to set up an LLC or some other entity to take over the daily running of the place.  People who are interested to see the place continue contribute financially.  With enough people the burden would be light. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

• Solution
7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

No.  Not his responsibility at all.  I'm grateful for a fun place that he created but he owes us nothing.  Frankly, in a world of forums that suck ass SW stands out head and shoulders above many far larger ones.

Yup!  The site is awesome for user satisfaction.  That is something to be proud of, but I am sure most of the time you feel like you are casting pearls before swine. 
What is the succession plan for your pathlab site?  Make this ride along like a poison pill little brother. 

12 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I still wonder what will happen when I'm gone. 

I'm not a company that has a plan to sustain it.

It's a big site with a lot of files and a big database, so not simple to transfer, but doable.

I've asked a few times over the years for someone to take it over, no serious offers.

I stopped having fun here a while ago.  I think my life is catching up to me, feeling sad most of the time.

One of the last straws here was a kind and simple request to not post TdF spoilers, boy was that met with hostility.

I need to update the software, probably next week.  After that, I won't be around much for a bit. 

The mods here are fantastic.  They can do anything I can do.

I'm not sure what is really entailed in "taking it over" but maybe explaining that whole deal would get some folks interested?  I definitely find even maintaining a minimal social media presence is difficult, let alone running anything resembling an active site.  It is surely time consuming and we do appreciate it - but that appreciation plus a dollar only gets you a cold Coke.

From the "stopped having fun here" perspective, that's where you really ought to be able to change that around a bit.  Maybe you aren't a dog person, but are a cat person - start some cat threads!  We love cats, and would enjoy hearing about yours.  Or dopey "at the office" shenanigans. We love those threads. And "food or beverage" talk.  You may be in a funk - truly depressed or just worn down from normal BS in normal life - but here you can at least be in the mix with folks who enjoy hearing from you. 

I loved the trials and tribulations of the BMW's journey to America thread. There has to be something like that you can share. Or, what's the next big vacation or last vacation? Or a big ride or run? Or a cool weekend activity that most of us missed and/or would never get to do ourselves?  Or just goofy ramblings about normal crap that goes on - that's 99% of the posts here. Or get your parody hat on and get insulted by Kzoo's misreading of the rot-bot's meter.

Sadly, if the TdF stuff wore you out, I can't imagine it will ever get better.  I tried yelling, arguing, embracing, and teasing, but that had no impact on true spoiler posts/innuendo.  On the plus side, WAY more spoilage occurred through my e-mail in-box as various cycling sites pushed out spoilers in their message titles :(  Regarding the spoiler stuff, though, I'm sure the current mods would be willing to take a more immediate "close and hide" approach next year, and you could deputize me or some other regulars to do it as well.  I'd happily swing that hammer to any and all spoilers as they popped up.

Time off/away, though is never a bad idea.  I've had several periods away this year, and they were nice.  I personally think you might need more time away from just daily life/grind and stress in general.  Work plus health plus family plus whatever else ADDS UP to a LOT of stress, worry, and zero reserves.  Take it easy. Take some real vacation time - just you or just you and the wife. Recharge. Consider other changes in life - job, routine, location, whatever.  I'd say come visit me and we could ride and explore DC or go camping, but that would likely give you an ulcer :D  but go put a bit of focus on you and what makes you happy.

I have no technical skills whatsoever, so I'm not much help with running the site.

I consider many of the people on this site personal friends and I care about them, and I would miss them if we didn't have this site.  But I also consider you one of the people that I care about, and if this site is impacting you negatively, I would want you to do what is best for you.

If the site didn't continue, maybe we could start a group text thread to share random pictures and thoughts.  A very low tech way of keeping in touch with people.  While I have some addresses and phone numbers, I don't have a lot of others.  If people were interested, they could send me whatever contact info they wanted to share so that we'd at least have a way of reaching one another if we couldn't reach them here.

But the main thing is that we care about you, and I'm  more concerned about your well being.  It can be hard to continue on, pretending everything is ok when you don't feel that way inside.  I wish there was more we could do for you, but please know you are important to us.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1