The robots are coming for all our jobs!

Ralphie
Go to solution Solved by jsharr,

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Not in my career they won’t! :)  I wouldn’t want to be just starting out though .

Don’t be so sure, they already have an Otto pilot feature. If they lock or remove the controls they could fit at least two more passengers in the plane and charge maximum price for those seats.

5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Don’t be so sure, they already have an Otto pilot feature. If they lock or remove the controls they could fit at least two more passengers in the plane and charge maximum price for those seats.

It could have been done 30 years ago.  The FAA is not embracing it and I suspect the flying public won’t either.  :)

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It could have been done 30 years ago.  The FAA is not embracing it and I suspect the flying public won’t either.  :)

Are the commercial jets have the technology to take off and land by themselves now?

I’m a country boy and I have only rode subways a few times but I think they are driverless. I know the ones I rode in Montreal were. Of course you don’t have to steer those, they follow the tracks.

Back in the late sixties the Westinghouse plant I worked at built a new building with everything futuristic. Instead of using a cart or a fork lift to move material they used a hovercraft type of device. It did the lifting and had a handle like a floor scrubber. You push it wherever you want it to go. Heavy loads would glide real easy riding on air.

They also had a driverless train to bring material to and from the new building up to my building through a long tunnel. It ran by computer using a punch card (remember those). The tunnel had a roll up door on the end of it and the train would stop, send out a signal and the door would open and the train would drive through. Sometimes the train would have a brain fart and after it opened the door it would just sit there for five minutes or so. The storeroom man was freezing with all the cold air blowing through the tunnel. He would go over and put the door back down. When the train got over it’s brain fart it would continue on and bust right on through the door. They would put a new overhead door up and have an engineer ride the train for a week to see what the problem was. The storeroom guy didn’t close the door while the engineer was on there because he would clear the brain fart and wouldn’t leave the door open for a long time. I don’t think they ever figured out what was happening. Eventually they scrapped the train and had a guy driving a tow motor pull the train.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Don’t we already do that?  We strap rockets on the wings instead of passengers inside.  They ‘pilot’ a bunch of them from a bunker in Battle Creek.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I’m a country boy and I have only rode subways a few times but I think they are driverless. I know the ones I rode in Montreal were. Of course you don’t have to steer those, they follow the tracks.

Back in the late sixties the Westinghouse plant I worked at built a new building with everything futuristic. Instead of using a cart or a fork lift to move material they used a hovercraft type of device. It did the lifting and had a handle like a floor scrubber. You push it wherever you want it to go. Heavy loads would glide real easy riding on air.

They also had a driverless train to bring material to and from the new building up to my building through a long tunnel. It ran by computer using a punch card (remember those). The tunnel had a roll up door on the end of it and the train would stop, send out a signal and the door would open and the train would drive through. Sometimes the train would have a brain fart and after it opened the door it would just sit there for five minutes or so. The storeroom man was freezing with all the cold air blowing through the tunnel. He would go over and put the door back down. When the train got over it’s brain fart it would continue on and bust right on through the door. They would put a new overhead door up and have an engineer ride the train for a week to see what the problem was. The storeroom guy didn’t close the door while the engineer was on there because he would clear the brain fart and wouldn’t leave the door open for a long time. I don’t think they ever figured out what was happening. Eventually they scrapped the train and had a guy driving a tow motor pull the train.

The transit trains in Metro Vancouver have been driverless for several decades.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

More than 60 years ago I at the age of 12/13 or so sat in a seat next to the operator in a SAGE center in Bangor Maine and watched an Interceptor aircraft perform a completely automated interception, firing it's weapons and returning to the landing pattern at it's base.  There was a pilot back in those days.  He took of and landed.  My cousin was one of the officers at the site.  I'm not sure to this day if my mother and I were really supposed to be there.

Computer people might be interested in the first automated air defense system and the invention of things that did not exist.

This is a very longish article but interesting.   https://www.ll.mit.edu/about/history/sage-semi-automatic-ground-environment-air-defense-system

Still needed a human pilot there for when the computers hit the fan.

On 8/10/2021 at 11:03 AM, Philander Seabury said:

Good time to retaar, because I don’t think I have the patience to be a robot tender. Everything is machine learning these days. 

It's going to get to the point where a "full time job" will be something like 6 hours, 4 days/week.  There won't be enough work for humans to do and if you don't pay them full time and take all the profit due to the machines for the company, the world will descend into anarchy.

Remember, 100 years ago and before, a lot of people were working 12 hour days, 6 days/week.

There are some jobs like teacher where you may have a team of two that works half of what a current teacher's job is and school coaches that work all week throughout their season.

Just now, MickinMD said:

There are some jobs like teacher where you may have a team of two that works half of what a current teacher's job is and school coaches that work all week throughout their season.

Teachers do complain - near incessantly - about working too many hours.  They may finally get a break!

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

It's going to get to the point where a "full time job" will be something like 6 hours, 4 days/week.  There won't be enough work for humans to do and if you don't pay them full time and take all the profit due to the machines for the company, the world will descend into anarchy.

Remember, 100 years ago and before, a lot of people were working 12 hour days, 6 days/week.

I think it was John Maynard Keynes who thought that decades ago and he was WRONG!, as RG and I would say!