Revoke my Grand Master title.

MoseySusan
Go to solution Solved by Kirby,

9 minutes ago, 2Far said:

The cyclists on our MUT have forgotten all their manners. I counted six out of maybe one hundred who said "On your left" Sunday morning.

Remember to count how many folks can hear and properly react/acknowledge an "on your left"/bell ring.

25 minutes ago, 2Far said:

That does not obviate the courtesy of letting the slow folks know.

I disagree (to some extent).

Situational awareness is a PREREQUISITE for use of a MUT, road, trail, footpath, river, whatever.  PERIOD.  Of course, situational awareness creates a situation where a bell or "on your left" is generally unnecessary.  A warning would make sense in the same sense that car uses a turn indicator or a horn.  I find, sadly, it's a 50/50 chance that any reaction you get - probably only 10% of the time - is a BAD reaction.  Like the person stops, veers erratically, loses their line, turns their head & pivots the body, etc.. 

If folks paid attention to the world around them, the onus wouldn't be on the folks behaving normally. It would be much smoother sailing all around.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Situational awareness is a PREREQUISITE for use of a MUT, road, trail, footpath, river, whatever.  PERIOD

To this end, riding parents teach their newly riding children to keep right while on the MUT. And many times, announcing “on your left” results in the kids turning their heads to the left to look at who’s talking and then veering left. So, I like to pull up alongside, tell the kid they’re looking great on that bike and riding like a champ, then pass safely along. 

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Of course, situational awareness creates a situation where a bell or "on your left" is generally unnecessary. 

I'd suggest... ANY announcement or noise from a cyclist on a MUT is better than none.  A cyclist can be approaching fast from the rear they can be nearly silent. That can end badly... 

I seldom ride my bike on a MUT. 

WoGB and I walk our dogs every day.  We notice just about everyone (runners, cyclists, other walkers, other dogs) during a walk, long before there is an issue. We may only get passed by someone on a bike once, or maybe twice on a 2 mile walk.  That said....

Have you walked a dog on a MUT?    Muts on MUTS...  (had to do it)  My dogs WANDER when they walk, based on what smells good (or bad), they don't tell me.  They are on a 26' long leash.  Our Beagle is ALL over the place... that's what Beagles do on a walk.   Parker (or Jack Russel) tends to walk just to my right, but from time to time he just zooms to something that smells good. 

I try to look behind me from time to time.  But most of the time I'm more concerned about what the dog is going to do next. 

I tend to walk to the right, however if Bella (or Parker) would suddenly move to the left, I move left.  Parker is 18 pounds,  I'm 228 pound at 6'3"  I'm blocking for my dog... just in case I didn't notice, and someone is quietly approaching rather fast from the rear.  

7 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I'd suggest... ANY announcement or noise from a cyclist on a MUT is better than none.  A cyclist can be approaching fast from the rear they can be nearly silent. That can end badly... 

I seldom ride my bike on a MUT. 

WoGB and I walk our dogs every day.  We notice just about everyone (runners, cyclists, other walkers, other dogs) during a walk, long before there is an issue. We may only get passed by someone on a bike once, or maybe twice on a 2 mile walk.  That said....

Have you walked a dog on a MUT?    Muts on MUTS...  (had to do it)  My dogs WANDER when they walk, based on what smells good (or bad), they don't tell me.  They are on a 26' long leash.  Our Beagle is ALL over the place... that's what Beagles do on a walk.   Parker (or Jack Russel) tends to walk just to my right, but from time to time he just zooms to something that smells good. 

I try to look behind me from time to time.  But most of the time I'm more concerned about what the dog is going to do next. 

I tend to walk to the right, however if Bella (or Parker) would suddenly move to the left, I move left.  Parker is 18 pounds,  I'm 228 pound at 6'3"  I'm blocking for my dog... just in case I didn't notice, and someone is quietly approaching rather fast from the rear.  

On the Mut, bikers are the cars we encounter on the roads.  It is their responsibility to slow down around people and maintain a safe distance.  At the same time, dogs on long leashes wandering around are the work of the devil.  The Mut is not personal property, it belongs to everyone.