The poor country that just can't catch a break...

Wilbur

Haiti is on the western half of the island of Hispaniola and mountains in the middle cut off moisture, making growing food and raising cattle, etc. difficult. The Dominican Republic is on the Eastern half of the Island and there are two tectonic fault lines that cross the island. The one to the north goes through a lot of territory in both Haiti and the DR, but it is rarely the cause of major earthquakes. The one to the south goes through Haiti's capital and barely touches the DR and it the big tremor producer.

So Haiti has both the awful climate and awful tectonics while the other nation on the same island is much more prosperous and it's land much more pleasant.

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

Haiti is on the western half of the island of Hispaniola and mountains in the middle cut off moisture, making growing food and raising cattle, etc. difficult. The Dominican Republic is on the Eastern half of the Island and there are two tectonic fault lines that cross the island. The one to the north goes through a lot of territory in both Haiti and the DR, but it is rarely the cause of major earthquakes. The one to the south goes through Haiti's capital and barely touches the DR and it the big tremor producer.

So Haiti has both the awful climate and awful tectonics while the other nation on the same island is much more prosperous and it's land much more pleasant.

And awful corruption for the trifecta. 

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

And awful corruption for the trifecta. 

This is probably the biggest issue in Haiti. Although north- central Haiti is desert like much of the lan was at one time one of the most fertile and lush places anywhere. Years of exploitation and poor farming practices has left much of the country denuded and the productive soils washed away. There is a lot of good work being done to reforest and stabilize areas but it is a long slow process. I’m not sure when or if we will ever get back there, i sure hope so.

• Sad 1

When the 2010 quake hit Haiti, among the first victims was a lovely lady who was local to where I grew up. Her son and my youngest brother were great pals, and he spent so much time at their house, she was like a second mom to him.

We were shattered when we got this news. https://toronto.citynews.ca/2010/01/13/ontario-nurse-killed-in-haiti-quake/

• Sad 1