Sometimes I Hate The Weatherman!

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by MickinMD,

...or weatherwoman or the weatherbot that misleads me so bad!

Looking  at the weekend weather, I saw rain, rain, rain pretty much in the whole 10day "forecast" (hereafter known as The  Big Lie).  Any, the TBL indicated rain for Sat afternoon - starting at 4pm, and then, like I wrote, rain in TBL for Sun and most days over the next week. 

I thought, "I better get out before the rain", so adjusted my normal afternoon start to 11am, and headed out.  BRUTAL. Sun and humidity.  And it was deceptive sun and humidity (which is worse), but I sort of figured out things were not going to be fun after about 10 minutes when I realized my gloves were already soaked through.  Anyway, I adjusted expectations, dialed back a little, and added an extra water stop to stay close to hydrated.  It was a tough one, and not at all related to the difficulty of the ride :( 

Then - NO EFFING RAIN!!!!  It must have rained a little overnight as the sidewalk was wet in the morning, but nothing while I was awake (until 10pm).  I could have ridden in the more pleasant afternoon time period that I prefer.

On Sunday, my wife rode to the gym for her AM class, and when she got home, she was like, "Are you going to ride today?", and I came back with, "Isn't it going to rain?".  She told me she wasn't sure, but it was beautiful out now.  I had my share of BS to do around the house first, but I eventually finished that stuff up and said WTF? Time for a ride.  Holy SCHNIZZLE! It was BEAUTIFUL.  There was a mild breeze that actually made it feel like I was riding in air conditioning.  I was cool but not chilly.  Glorious mid-August weather.  I was still a bit knackered from the ride the day before, but this ride was LOVELY.

I hate that a bunch of crappy TBLs ended up messing with my weekend rides.  I would have taken an afternoon easy ride on Sat, and done a more adventuresome Sun ride had the "pros" gotten even close to reality in their TBL, but nope.  Screwed by inferior weatherliars.

I blame @BuffJim, but that is a story for another day :D

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, 2Far said:

What they tell us, is that "70% chance of rain" means that "70% of the coverage area will have rain". Lately, we have been in the Thunder & Lightning area but not the rain area.

That's the standard explanation, but without a "how big is the coverage area", it doesn't do much. :(  I feel like they could easily make the coverage areas be dsigned in such a way (jerrymandered) to give them an out to always be right - like making it a very long strip that runs north/south as most of our weather comes from the southwest, so it would hit that coverage area somewhere if it was long enough.

• Solution

We've been having extremely heavy thunder showers for several afternoons/evenings in a row.

Tonight, I finished taking evening-care of my on-vacation brother's family's dog Jake and bearded dragon Rango, and left for home just as it began to rain.  I went half a block and I needed highest-wiper-speed.  I got to the main road and night had descended suddenly and cars were going 25 mph where the speed limit's 40.  I took my time driving home - crossing paths with two drivers with no headlights on - they probably hadn't needed them 10 minutes earlier.

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

If you took all the economists and swapped them with weathermen and you took all the weathermen and swapped them with economists, nothing would change.

That's because economics and whether forecasting are both based on statistics. Statistics is the wave of the future.

4 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

If you took all the economists and swapped them with weathermen and you took all the weathermen and swapped them with economists, nothing would change.

And yet...you probably check the weather at least once a day!

You, sir, are ruining my bike rides!!! :angry:

23 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

...or weatherwoman or the weatherbot that misleads me so bad!

Looking  at the weekend weather, I saw rain, rain, rain pretty much in the whole 10day "forecast" (hereafter known as The  Big Lie).  Any, the TBL indicated rain for Sat afternoon - starting at 4pm, and then, like I wrote, rain in TBL for Sun and most days over the next week. 

I thought, "I better get out before the rain", so adjusted my normal afternoon start to 11am, and headed out.  BRUTAL. Sun and humidity.  And it was deceptive sun and humidity (which is worse), but I sort of figured out things were not going to be fun after about 10 minutes when I realized my gloves were already soaked through.  Anyway, I adjusted expectations, dialed back a little, and added an extra water stop to stay close to hydrated.  It was a tough one, and not at all related to the difficulty of the ride :( 

Then - NO EFFING RAIN!!!!  It must have rained a little overnight as the sidewalk was wet in the morning, but nothing while I was awake (until 10pm).  I could have ridden in the more pleasant afternoon time period that I prefer.

On Sunday, my wife rode to the gym for her AM class, and when she got home, she was like, "Are you going to ride today?", and I came back with, "Isn't it going to rain?".  She told me she wasn't sure, but it was beautiful out now.  I had my share of BS to do around the house first, but I eventually finished that stuff up and said WTF? Time for a ride.  Holy SCHNIZZLE! It was BEAUTIFUL.  There was a mild breeze that actually made it feel like I was riding in air conditioning.  I was cool but not chilly.  Glorious mid-August weather.  I was still a bit knackered from the ride the day before, but this ride was LOVELY.

I hate that a bunch of crappy TBLs ended up messing with my weekend rides.  I would have taken an afternoon easy ride on Sat, and done a more adventuresome Sun ride had the "pros" gotten even close to reality in their TBL, but nope.  Screwed by inferior weatherliars.

I blame @BuffJim, but that is a story for another day :D

Post post some sexy photos of your wife, please.