Not A Fan Of This Trend

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by Prophet Zacharia,

I think what @Razors Edgeis concerned with is the addition of lactose to beers, which poses risks to the lactose intolerant. Lactose is a non-fermentable sugar, which means it’s hat the yeast cannot convert it to alcohol. It is used to add sweetness to beers and improve the mouthfeel. Primarily used in stouts (aka milk stouts) it is being widely adopted in other beer styles to set a beer apart from the brewery across the street. 

27 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I think what @Razors Edgeis concerned with is the addition of lactose to beers, which poses risks to the lactose intolerant. Lactose is a non-fermentable sugar, which means it’s hat the yeast cannot convert it to alcohol. It is used to add sweetness to beers and improve the mouthfeel. Primarily used in stouts (aka milk stouts) it is being widely adopted in other beer styles to set a beer apart from the brewery across the street. 

I'm actually fine with lactose (THANK GOD as I love milk, cheese, most dairy), but not as much a fan of the "milk" in my beer.  But your information on WHY is now prompting me to rethink my initial aversion or, at least, hesitation, which is based upon a relatively small sample size. 

I will have to revisit this with some more hands-on samples!

So, I'm still not a fan, but I also might not be a hater. Time will tell.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

which is based upon a relatively small sample size. 

FTR, this was the mistake I made for years with poo-pooing anything with an IPA label regardless of the other information involved. I was behind the curve on that one.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm actually fine with lactose (THANK GOD as I love milk, cheese, most dairy), but not as much a fan of the "milk" in my beer.  But your information on WHY is now prompting me to rethink my initial aversion or, at least, hesitation, which is based upon a relatively small sample size. 

I will have to revisit this with some more hands-on samples!

So, I'm still not a fan, but I also might not be a hater. Time will tell.

There is a milk stout from Tallgrass Brewing called “Buffalo Sweat” I would highly recommend 

34 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I had an oat milk IPA the other day. It was pretty good. I don’t know how @Randomguy or @Razors Edge would react, but it’s a smaller, local brewer so neither of them will likely ever have/get to experience it. 

4 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I had an oat milk IPA the other day. It was pretty good. I don’t know how @Randomguy or @Razors Edge would react, but it’s a smaller, local brewer so neither of them will likely ever have/get to experience it. 

If it was "oat milk" RG would have a meltdown!  If it was "oats & milk", he'd be fine but wouldn't have any (it ain't Zima!).

These "milkshake" concoctions are part of another bad trend: with 6.7% and 6.2% alcohol they're 1.5x to 2x the alcohol of regular beer, which is normally 2.5% to 4% alcohol and almost all of these new beers are sold in 16 oz. of larger cans.  Some of the new stuff is 8% or more alcohol - close to wine strength!  Natty Daddy Beer by Anheuser-Busch is 8% alcohol.  These are all cases of adding alcohol to intentionally make the drinkers get drunk faster, not for "taste" and Anheuser-Busch aims at heavy drinkers by selling it in 25 oz. cans and with ads like: "Big stories call for a big Daddy. With its 8.0% ABV, Natty Daddy is a big, bold, cold..."

Even when I was in college, I enjoyed working on a light buzz drinking regular 12 oz. beers.  If I drank three of these milkshakes or Nat Daddy type "beers" I be lit 2-3 times what 3 regular beers or 6 light beers would do for me.

I don't like that trend.

5 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

These "milkshake" concoctions are part of another bad trend: with 6.7% and 6.2% alcohol they're 1.5x to 2x the alcohol of regular beer, which is normally 2.5% to 4% alcohol and almost all of these new beers are sold in 16 oz. of larger cans.  Some of the new stuff is 8% or more alcohol - close to wine strength!  Natty Daddy Beer by Anheuser-Busch is 8% alcohol.  These are all cases of adding alcohol to intentionally make the drinkers get drunk faster, not for "taste" and Anheuser-Busch aims at heavy drinkers by selling it in 25 oz. cans and with ads like: "Big stories call for a big Daddy. With its 8.0% ABV, Natty Daddy is a big, bold, cold..."

Even when I was in college, I enjoyed working on a light buzz drinking regular 12 oz. beers.  If I drank three of these milkshakes or Nat Daddy type "beers" I be lit 2-3 times what 3 regular beers or 6 light beers would do for me.

I don't like that trend.

I DISAGREE - with almost everything in here!!!  :frantics:

Honestly, I don't think I have had ANY beer that was 2.5%-4% abv. except a radler, shandy, or similar.

• Solution
6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I DISAGREE - with almost everything in here!!!  :frantics:

Honestly, I don't think I have had ANY beer that was 2.5%-4% abv. except a radler, shandy, or similar.

Nor do I think any of the beers discussed previously in the thread in any way resemble ANY Natty Bo or Anheiser Bush* product.

*I recognize AB now owns many craft labels, but please exclude those when taking this comment as intended.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I don't like that trend.

You should watch this series if you want a decent understanding of beer. 

https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/everyday-guide-to-beer