Sense of Taste and Smell?

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by Randomguy,

How do you rate yours? 

I will say that, when compared to my wife, my senses of taste and smell are definitely not great.  We'll be eating something, and she'll ask me if I taste the cherry/sour/garlic/whatever, and I'm always like :dontknow: "maybe?":scratchhead:  Or the classic wine sniff - no way I smell much more than "it smells fruity" or whatever.

How about you?

How does you sense of taste and smell compare to those around you?

26 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So you and I are highly evolved!

23 and Me sends me reports about character traits that have a DNA origin. One of them is preference for salty or sweet. I wouldn’t be surprised if level of sense of smell is an evolutionary adaptation. 

3 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

23 and Me sends me reports about character traits that have a DNA origin. One of them is preference for salty or sweet. I wouldn’t be surprised if level of sense of smell is an evolutionary adaptation. 

My wife is a salt fiend. I'm more a sweet lover.

Pretty heightened sense of smell and my taste is pretty good.  I can usually sniff out a local fire pretty quickly and unlike my wife can smell rain.  The air just smells differently when it’s raining or about to.  I can also sniff out alcohol and pot on people pretty quickly. 

The other evening I kept smelling dog crap in the house. My wife couldn’t smell it. I checked the house & dog, nothing. I then checked our shoes in the laundry room and my wife stepped in dog crap & had it in the treads of her shoe…

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I haven't noticed any loss of taste or smell.  I'll been taking care of my vacationing brother's family's pets this week and I could smell Rango the foot-long Bearded Dragon's poop - a little bigger than a quarter in size and about 1/4" high - a yard away from the screened-top terrarium.  My SiL said I don't have to clean it up, but I've been doing it anyway to spare my nose.  It's as if he craps right on the flat-stone section to make sure I'll see it - it does make the job easier and it's also where I've been depositing his daily feed of lettuce so I wash the stone, too.

As far as tasting the flavors assigned to various wines, teas, etc. I always detect the non-sweet stuff: nutty, bark, etc. but the "hints of..." berries, flowers, fruit, etc. have usually just come across to me as a little bit of sweetness, though peach and cherry are unique enough to stand out to me.