New Life For An Old Workhorse :)

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by Kzoo,

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

Nice. good looking ksyriums

I really like those wheels.  Good looking, lightweight, and reliable - except they did develop cracking around the nipples and the rim had to be replaced.  Other than that, I always liked them.

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I really like those wheels.  Good looking, lightweight, and reliable - except they did develop cracking around the nipples and the rim had to be replaced.  Other than that, I always liked them.

my rear one cracked...mavic replaced it, meh.

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Good looking, lightweight, and reliable - except they did develop cracking around the nipples and the rim had to be replaced.  Other than that, I always liked them.

My wife had trouble with that when she nursed our youngest son. They didn’t need replaced the doctor just told me to rub them with pure lanolin from the pharmacy. The cracking all went away in a few days.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

You only just loaned it to him, and it looks like he's already bent the top tube!  :angry:

He is heavier than me!  That bastard!

I do need to let him know to watch the nipples for cracking and to follow @Longjohn's advice.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Longjohn said:

How old is that workhorse? It looks pretty new except for the rim brakes.

That's a 2007.  But relatively new bar tape, and the drivetrain is newer being 11sp Di2 (vs the old 10sp regular DuraAce that was one it before the switch).

The rim brakes are also why I think it will be a good "get into the sport, and learn what you need in your next bike" sort of situation.  I think, living in CO (Silverthorne/Dillon) between a bunch of ski resorts like Keystone, Vail, Copper, Beaver, etc., there are a ton of climbs where the lightweight Roubaix will shine, but the rim brakes - compared to disc brakes that most road bikes have now - may be the weak spot especially as he is quite a bit heavier than me (+50 or 60#s). Since I felt the rim brakes barely sufficient for long sustained descents of passes, I bet the sure and strong braking of a disc set-up will be what he eventually settles on.

• Awesome 1