How much jewelry do you wear?

Airehead

Is any of it sentimental?

I usually just wear my wedding ring and engagement ring.  I haven't been since Monday morning because I had to take them off before going to nuclear medicine.  Now I keep forgetting to put them back on.  I am really not that sentimental about them.  I am still married without them.

I do have a couple pieces that my dad has given me that I am sentimentally attached to even though I only wear about once a year.

• Heart 1

Wedding band and earrings…usually a small turquoise stone and silver post, but I have a few hoops and some that dangle. I have necklaces received as gifts, but rarely wear them. And I like to wear “energy bead” bracelets. The kind made from colorful stones threaded on elastic. 

• Heart 1

I don't typically wear any.   There are only two pieces that have real sentimental value.  One was a gold and pearl pin that my Dad got for my Mom.  I recalled him talking about how he kept passing it in a store window and wanted to get it for her, but it was too expensive for him at the time.  He eventually saved up and got it for her.  The way he told the story really stuck with me.

The other piece is my Mom's "lucky bracelet".  She had a scarab bracelet for as long as I can recall and every time someone in the family had a big exam, or job interview, medical test or other big event, she'd wear the lucky bracelet.  I got it after she passed, and even though I don't really wear jewelry, I'm planning to wear the lucky bracelet to my nephew's wedding. :nodhead:

I used to wear a watch, but I haven't done that in ages.  I have a number of pieces because I used to wear some at work, but my niece doesn't wear any jewelry and I can't picture her wanting any of the pieces.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

Ceramic wedding band for myself and a huge box of watches, mostly mid-range Swiss, German, and high end Japans. I end up wearing the Fitbit more than any watch. Been meaning to sell them off but time and reluctance. 

Wife has a large collection; kind of obvious from my previous career. But, she hardly wears any of it. She has a diamond round solitaire she only puts on maybe once or twice a year. Last appraisal I got for it was 60k (2.65ct F IF Ideal), I keep suggesting we could just sell it, but she prefers to keep it. I understand. Of all her jewelry, of which she has a lot, it is the one she wears when she fancies up. Mostly she wears a simple halo princess cut mounting and South sea pearls for earrings. 

I don't think the diamond is all that sentimental but the story is interesting. I got it during an estate sale where I bought the whole house to get the jewelry box. Back then we didn't have 2 nickels to rub together and was a gamble of most of our "home down payment" monies. I ended up with a 2 gallon cooler full of silver coins that ended up, in itself, returning a massive return. The diamond was in a simple platinum mounting covered in hand lotion at the bottom of the jewelry box underneath a bunch or minor pieces. Happy little find. Since we had made so much from the other pieces, she asked if she could keep it. 

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

I don't think the diamond is all that sentimental but the story is interesting. I got it during an estate sale where I bought the whole house to get the jewelry box. Back then we didn't have 2 nickels to rub together and was a gamble of most of our "home down payment" monies. I ended up with a 2 gallon cooler full of silver coins that ended up, in itself, returning a massive return. The diamond was in a simple platinum mounting covered in hand lotion at the bottom of the jewelry box underneath a bunch or minor pieces. Happy little find. Since we had made so much from the other pieces, she asked if she could keep it. 

What made you think there was something in the jewelry box that was worth taking the risk?

• Heart 1

Wedding band and a watch when at work. Otherwise no watch.   I also wear a medical ID bracelet. 

WOChrisL doesn’t wear much, not even her wedding bands. She has an allergy to the bands (I tease her that she’s allergic to marriage). We have been looking at platinum bands but she doesn’t want to spend that much.

• Heart 1

A wedding ring and a watch. 

Our original wedding rings have sentimental value because I made them.  My current ring was carved by a good friend and Haida artist.   I also have my great grandfathers ring he bought to celebrate his first year as a bakery owner.  It had a pave set diamond and he showed his friends how diamond could cut glass and shattered a edge of the stone.  I don't wear it, it is a sentimental hand me down. 

• Heart 2

Einstein wears his titanium wedding band and if we go somewhere he wears the Brietling watch I gave him as a wedding gift.  He seems to really like that, however it just cost a crapton of money to send it to Brietling for maintenance.  It was losing a minute per day which was driving Einstein nuts.

@goldendesign,  wish you lived near me.  I have bags and rolls of jewelry from my mother.  She liked what she liked whether it was platinum and diamond or costume special.  I have no idea what most of it is worth.  Leads to a problem because I would like to give each grandchild something of merit.

• Heart 4

5 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Einstein wears his titanium wedding band and if we go somewhere he wears the Brietling watch I gave him as a wedding gift.  He seems to really like that, however it just cost a crapton of money to send it to Brietling for maintenance.  It was losing a minute per day which was driving Einstein nuts.

Most pilots love their Breitlings.  That was a really nice wedding gift.  I just send my Omega out for reconditioning too.  I hope there is no sticker shock in getting it back. :) 

• Heart 2

48 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Most pilots love their Breitlings.  That was a really nice wedding gift.  I just send my Omega out for reconditioning too.  I hope there is no sticker shock in getting it back. :) 

It was like 800 dollars to do the maintenance--- I think that included making sure it was still water proof.  What was I going to say, no don't do it???

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

wish you lived near me.  I have bags and rolls of jewelry from my mother.  She liked what she liked whether it was platinum and diamond or costume special.  I have no idea what most of it is worth.  Leads to a problem because I would like to give each grandchild something of merit.

If you're looking to get the lot looked at, look up certified jewelry appraisers near you. I'd be happy to call them on your behalf to scope them out. Primarily you'll want someone with the NAJA  as well as a diamond cert of some sort. I'd go with a GIA graduate gemologist/diamonds. Though there are other laboratories education certs that are just as good.

Tell them you want an estate fair market appraisal. You won't get the overly inflated "replacement value" price which is usually a 7-10% yearly appreciation at 10 years. Instead you'd get the current market value of the items. 

Side note the above "replacement value" is a gotcha the industry came up with in the 90's when the push to sell more diamond engagement rings came from DeBeers. That way every retailer can say "Our diamonds are priced so good your stone will appraise for DOUBLE!!!"

• Heart 3

I rarely wear much. We bought some silver bands a couple years ago because both our rings were too small and beyond resizing. I wore mine regularly. I took it off one day after a hot, humid commute home.  I forgot to put it on when we went out that night. Haven't been able to find it since! 

I wear my Garmin watch since I use it on the commutes. I have a nicer watch if we dress up a bit. Needs a new battery....

I was given a copper wristband from my grandpa. I like it, but it has to be Goldilocks weather or the thing is uncomfortable. 

• Heart 1

Only earrings and a watch with an artistic watch face, if I go somewhere.  Even with earrings I'm getting lazy/forgetful --though I have some inventive designs:  a pair of silver swans, silver phoenix birds, crescent moon and star set, etc. It's real silver because my ear lobes are sensitive to costume jewellery...meaning they turn red and itchy.

I actually consider my prescription glasses now a form of jewellery...for amount of money spent and colour/design of frames. I'm wearing set of titanium rimmed glasses...stylish, yet light and doesn't leave dents in my head.

• Heart 3

7 hours ago, goldendesign said:

If you're looking to get the lot looked at, look up certified jewelry appraisers near you. I'd be happy to call them on your behalf to scope them out. Primarily you'll want someone with the NAJA  as well as a diamond cert of some sort. I'd go with a GIA graduate gemologist/diamonds. Though there are other laboratories education certs that are just as good.

Tell them you want an estate fair market appraisal. You won't get the overly inflated "replacement value" price which is usually a 7-10% yearly appreciation at 10 years. Instead you'd get the current market value of the items. 

Side note the above "replacement value" is a gotcha the industry came up with in the 90's when the push to sell more diamond engagement rings came from DeBeers. That way every retailer can say "Our diamonds are priced so good your stone will appraise for DOUBLE!!!"

Thanks. I will do some research. 

2 minutes ago, Allen said:

That would freak me out. I would have to have it cut off within minutes of not being able to remove it. 

It doesn't bother me.

My finger has grown around it so it doesn't hang out to catch on stuff, and it has worn down a good bit. When new it had beaded edges, they are long gone and the ring itself is thinner.

It wasn't a very expensive ring to buy, but it has held up thru some pretty hard times.

IMG_5065.JPG

IMG_5064.JPG

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Further said:

It doesn't bother me.

My finger has grown around it so it doesn't hang out to catch on stuff, and it has worn down a good bit. When new it had beaded edges, they are long gone and the ring itself is thinner.

It wasn't a very expensive ring to buy, but it has held up thru some pretty hard times.

IMG_5065.JPG

IMG_5064.JPG

• Heart 1

When I worked at the forge I had to buy a bigger ring because my fingers got so big. Not too long after I retired I was able to go back to my old ring. A year after that I couldn’t keep it on my finger and I went to my wife’s grandad’s ring. The harder you work with your hands the bigger your fingers get.

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

When I worked at the forge I had to buy a bigger ring because my fingers got so big. Not too long after I retired I was able to go back to my old ring. A year after that I couldn’t keep it on my finger and I went to my wife’s grandad’s ring. The harder you work with your hands the bigger your fingers get.

I used to tease my LBS partner, a farmer, that he had 5 thumbs on each hand.  :) 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2