Zephyr's 1,000 miles - Miles Postings

Square Wheels

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

33 km. on Aug. 21

If that's 33.00 to 33.04 km, it's 20.51 miles, rounded

If it's 33 km rounded, then it's scientifically 21 miles because there are only 2 significant figures in 33 and the conversion must be rounded to 2 significant figures: just over 20.5 miles rounds to 21.  Note, by the way that scientifically 20.5 without any other info, round to 20, not 21 because science rounds the exact "5" to the nearest even number.  That avoids like 1.5 + 2.5 rounds to 2 + 3 and instead, it's scientifically rounded to 2 + 2.

But, since 33 km is just a little more than 20.5, it rounds to 21 and does NOT round to 20.5 if 33 is a rounded number.

Just trying to help the cause by half a mile here!

• Heart 4

18 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

If it's 33 km rounded, then it's scientifically 21 miles because there are only 2 significant figures in 33 and the conversion must be rounded to 2 significant figures: just over 20.5 miles rounds to 21.  Note, by the way that scientifically 20.5 without any other info, round to 20, not 21 because science rounds the exact "5" to the nearest even number.  That avoids like 1.5 + 2.5 rounds to 2 + 3 and instead, it's scientifically rounded to 2 + 2.

But, since 33 km is just a little more than 20.5, it rounds to 21 and does NOT round to 20.5 if 33 is a rounded number.

We all gotta hear the cumulative total...soon :D  Has everyone reported..give it another 1-2 hrs. for westcoasters or thereabouts.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

I work with numbers and other jargon all day. I am in no mood to contest or extrapolate what you just said. I'll accept it as the de facto standard of this group. Also, your Raven's are pretty good.

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

I'm glad I did. I drove to the far corner of the grid at 14.5 miles. You'd think I would be at 29, right!? Somehow I lost 2.7 miles. Need to look at a map. Probably a disfigured square. I'm effing tired though. I did my best. First 16 miles were easy. Last ten? A white hot mess. I am now harboring false resentments towards you folks.

there's this new thing called google maps. You drove your car? Why do you hate 'merica

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1