Is it too early to start thinking about winter boots?

Wilbur

My Sorrels are over thirty years old. I must have gotten one of the good pairs. The felt pack liners are getting hard to find. Sorrel online only had two pairs in my size when I ordered mine last year. I thought about buying them both but then I said to myself “Self, you are 71 years old, you will be lucky to wear one pair of liners out, don’t be greedy.” The new liners are made better than the old liners, they are reinforced in the back of the heel where the solid felt ones always wore out.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

35 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

My Sorrels are over thirty years old. I must have gotten one of the good pairs. The felt pack liners are getting hard to find. Sorrel online only had two pairs in my size when I ordered mine last year. I thought about buying them both but then I said to myself “Self, you are 71 years old, you will be lucky to wear one pair of liners out, don’t be greedy.” The new liners are made better than the old liners, they are reinforced in the back of the heel where the solid felt ones always wore out.

I have a pair the same vintage I use on snow machines.   The newer versions lack the quality Sorel was famous for. 

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Gump said:

I have a pair of Kenetrek mountain extreme for real cold days and Muck Arctic for times i may nt be moving as much. I also really like my Oboz Bridger winter hiking boots for most days and for snowshoeing.

The Kenetreks are awesome but last I checked they were over $600 CDN.  A little spendy for driveway work. 

I am a temperate dweller and I love my Timberlands. I use them for mowing and the rare snow shoveling/ blowing. They are very comfy, better than any I’ve had before. I am a very tough customer when it comes to footwear feeling comfy. But between these and New Balance and Hoka I been quite fortunate in that area lately. I hate not having happy feet!

I bought a pair of Merrells last Winter when I could not find my 20 year old boots. (packing & moving time) I really like the Merrells. Went snowshoeing several times. Much lighter than my old boots. Plenty warm. I think the temps were 10-20 degrees F

https://www.rei.com/product/173716/merrell-moab-adventure-mid-waterproof-hiking-boots-mens

• Heart 1

49 minutes ago, smudge said:

I have Sorel Mountaineers from about 1985. My lightweight winter boots are Merrells. I keep looking for replacement for the Sorels, just in case; but I have not been happy with what I've found.  They truly don't make 'em like they used to.

I had a pair of Rockports that I loved but the tread unfortunately wore.

In 2017 I purchsed Sorel Conquest boots.  They don't look like the picture you posted.   The boots I purchased aren't made anymore.

https://www.rei.com/product/121034/sorel-conquest-mid-outdry-boots-mens

They are my winter boots.  -10F and my feet are warm.   

WoBG and I walk the dogs in the winter, when it's icy I use ice cleats for better traction, and I'm good to go.  The dogs cheat, they have 4 paw drive.  

Product image for tobacco/black

• Heart 2

It's interesting seeing winter boot selections in different parts of Canada. For Metro VAncouver, even though they are surrounded by snow mountains (when it's not raining), I found the boot selection for women and for real warmth, almost laughable.  It was quite difficult to find winter boots for -30 degree C cold. I thought being in a bigger city, there would be more selection.

Whereas if you shop in our prairie city and in Banff town, you will find a broader range of winter boot styles for super cold weather. Provided you don't buy too late in season.

So not all Canadian winters are create equal. Nor are all retail boot stores.

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

It's interesting seeing winter boot selections in different parts of Canada. For Metro VAncouver, even though they are surrounded by snow mountains (when it's not raining), I found the boot selection for women and for real warmth, almost laughable.  It was quite difficult to find winter boots for -30 degree C cold. I thought being in a bigger city, there would be more selection.

Whereas if you shop in our prairie city and in Banff town, you will find a broader range of winter boot styles for super cold weather. Provided you don't buy too late in season.

So not all Canadian winters are create equal. Nor are all retail boot stores.

BC's winter region starts east of Hope.  West of that is pretty temperate. 

Thanks for reminding me!  When I retired with bad legs and in 2006, I was living frugally for six years until Soc.Sec. kicked-in and developed a frugal mentality that stuck and I didn't get a decent pair of snow boots for shoveling, walking, playing etc. until around 2018 when I got a pair I loved: nice and high, and warm and waterproof.  They were lost in the fire last year and I just now ordered the same pair, said to be delivered by Amazon 9/2.  My shoe size is 11 and comments on the boot's page said go one bigger and that was right for me, who wear's them for two hours tops and likes a little room in the toes but my feet didn't slide around in them. I ignored the listing's claim: "True to size. Order usual size" which may be true if you're going to be hiking for hours in them.  Of course, if you get the wrong size, they're returnable for a different size.

image.thumb.png.f65d1eff95d09814cc49fdc7351b3992.png

• Heart 2

When I am in and around snow now, I wear Neo over boots.  Allows me to wear my comfy boots or steel toed boots inside and still be warm and dry.  Stood for three days in 4-5 inches of water on top of ice and stayed dry and warm.  They even come with gaiters and spikes for the soles.

20210829_113925.jpg

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

When I am in and around snow now, I wear Neo over boots.  Allows me to wear my comfy boots or steel toed boots inside and still be warm and dry.  Stood for three days in 4-5 inches of water on top of ice and stayed dry and warm.  They even come with gaiters and spikes for the soles.

20210829_113925.jpg

Awesome.  I may add those.

I have 3 prs. 1 is Merrell to go snowshoeing. My feet have to be warm when snowshoeing @-25 degrees C.

Other pr. is short Keen's winter...very walkable, without killing/rubbing my ankles, 

Tall very warm winter boots. To me a serious search when 1. I don't drive, so walk at least 1 km. and must be warm.  2. Must have proper tread grip on snow, etc.  3.waterproof to walk through melting ice/snow

My tall boot set Napp Black (santanacanada.com)

The company is Quebec based.   Alot of their winter boots for women look geeky, functional  Marinda Black / Burgundy (santanacanada.com)  The look is kinda cool now....with covid. Who cares.

I have noticed women in Calgary are quite practical for their winter boots. Warm first, then fashionable. They care less the boots look clunky and wierd vs. sexy when it's cold winter. They still wear same type of boots when it might be little snow...because snow can come down sudden/sudden deep drop in winter temp.

Different from Toronto (or VAncouver which doesn't really count unless you go to Whistler which is only -10 to -15 degree C kinda winters.)