A Fun Challenge!

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by donkpow,

...especially for the folks who fish:

In the summer of 2020 — antsy from pandemic lockdowns and in no hurry to start their upcoming freshman year of college staring at computer screens — Luke Konson and Daniel Balserak set themselves a goal: to travel the United States and catch the official state fish from all 50 states.

Over the next year, the friends from Oakton, Va., traveled across the country in Luke’s mom’s Honda minivan, from Maine (Atlantic salmon) to California (golden trout) to Hawaii (humuhumunukunukuāpua’a).

Well, they didn’t drive to Hawaii — they flew — but you get the idea. Luke and Daniel had a list, they had a timetable and they had a plan: to wrap up their epic quest with their home state’s official fish, the brook trout.

And then Daniel couldn’t catch one.

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

In the summer of 2020 — antsy from pandemic lockdowns and in no hurry to start their upcoming freshman year of college staring at computer screens — Luke Konson and Daniel Balserak set themselves a goal: to travel the United States and catch the official state fish from all 50 states.

Over the next year, the friends from Oakton, Va., traveled across the country in Luke’s mom’s Honda minivan, from Maine (Atlantic salmon) to California (golden trout) to Hawaii (humuhumunukunukuāpua’a).

Well, they didn’t drive to Hawaii — they flew — but you get the idea. Luke and Daniel had a list, they had a timetable and they had a plan: to wrap up their epic quest with their home state’s official fish, the brook trout.

What a loser...

I didn’t even know there was such a thing as a state fish. I looked up Pa. it’s a brook trout. Then I looked up Ohio, expected it to be a sucker. They don’t have a state fish. There are other states that don’t have a state fish so I don’t know how those guys expected to catch 50 state fish.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I didn’t even know there was such a thing as a state fish. I looked up Pa. it’s a brook trout. Then I looked up Ohio, expected it to be a sucker. They don’t have a state fish. There are other states that don’t have a state fish so I don’t know how those guys expected to catch 50 state fish.

WIKI disagrees!  Ohio seems to be the only one (losers!), and they went with Walleye for Ohio???

8 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

That sounds expensive. Fishing license fees, and then probably a special use fee for the State fish. Equipment and maybe boat rental. Lattes.

So?  Have you been to all 50 states?  I haven't!  Think of the value in that alone.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

WIKI disagrees!  Ohio seems to be the only one (losers!), and they went with Walleye for Ohio???

Ohio

Oh, Ohio. With 75% of its northern border along Lake Erie, one would think that the walleye or big lake-dwelling brown trout would be the official fish of the Buckeye State. Nope. Ohioans have refused to choose. That’s right, Ohio has no state fish. The state absolutely has records. The walleye record from 1999 stands at about 16 pounds, and the largest brown trout of about 14 pounds was caught in 2012. But truthfully, who the fuck wants to fish when you’ve got giant ag-fed Ohio whitetails to occupy all your obsessive energy?

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Ohio

Oh, Ohio. With 75% of its northern border along Lake Erie, one would think that the walleye or big lake-dwelling brown trout would be the official fish of the Buckeye State. Nope. Ohioans have refused to choose. That’s right, Ohio has no state fish. The state absolutely has records. The walleye record from 1999 stands at about 16 pounds, and the largest brown trout of about 14 pounds was caught in 2012. But truthfully, who the fuck wants to fish when you’ve got giant ag-fed Ohio whitetails to occupy all your obsessive energy?

Yep - Ohio is the land of LOSERS :D  Except @donkpow who is a winner even when losing.

• Haha 1

Amazingly, I think these are the ones I am missing, and likely to all get swept up in a future National Park camping sort of trip.  And Maine.  Still no Maine.  So, the Dakotas, Nebraska, Iowa, Minn, Wis, and Michigan (those last three of Cafe strongholds), and then a trip up to ride in Maine.

image.png.ab84eb560ca9505770c58d03bf205925.png

WYOMING — A two-pound golden trout recently caught in Wyoming by four-year-old Caroline May Evans, is up for world-record consideration.

On Saturday, The International Game Fish Association (IGFA) delivered the news via Twitter that Caroline “recently submitted an application for this 0.92-kg (2-pound) golden trout to potentially set the IGFA Female Smallfry Record for the species.”

“Caroline was fishing in Wyoming. After a quick fight and weighing, she was able to safely release the fish.”

Four-year-old girl catches potential world record golden trout

On 8/23/2021 at 10:36 AM, Razors Edge said:

I'm glad they had the money funds to do it - I hope the tradeoff isn't big college loans.  There are some things I wasn't able to do when I was college age due to having to work full-time in summers and then too busy getting established until my 40's.  I glad when people do stuff like this - they may not have the opportunity later on.

On 8/23/2021 at 10:36 AM, Razors Edge said:

NJ's is also the brook trout!