IPL - India Pale Lager? New To Me

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by donkpow,

My cousin, who moved to Germany several years ago, has been getting his craft beer business off the ground for over a year or so, and one of the five beers he brews is an India Pale LAGER.  I had never had nor, to my knowledge, seen, an IPL.  Luckily, he was in town last weekend, so when the family got together to see his new child, he also offered a sampling of three of his offerings.  Since there were a lot of us, it was more just small teases, and I didn't actually get to roll through a larger sample size.  It was good beer - all three vaireties - and the IPL seemed like pretty normal beer and similar to other "drinking" beers.  Definitely a beer I'll look for when out shopping to get a little more familiar with it.  That way, when we visit him next year, I have better insight to see how he stacks up :D

Anybody have any experience with IPLs?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I am just going to say something here.  It may be controvertial in this community, but it is something that is a truth to me.

Beer is gross.  It tastes gross and especially gross are the thicker darker beers.  Nope.  No thank you.  I do not like the taste of his stuff.

There I said it.

• Hugs 1

13 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I am just going to say something here.  It may be controvertial in this community, but it is something that is a truth to me.

Beer is gross.  It tastes gross and especially gross are the thicker darker beers.  Nope.  No thank you.  I do not like the taste of his stuff.

There I said it.

You're not alone.  I think beer is an acquired taste.  I think wine is the same. Certainly something like kombucha at the extreme end or even a tame thing like coffee has folks taking sides.

WRT beer, I think the field is now broad enough that there are beers for most people.  Like how wine has red and white and a bazillion ways to do both, there still end up wines that most people can find one (or more) to choose.  Coffee, with added 1/2 & 1/2 or sugar or PUMPKIN SPICE (yuck!) can make it tasty to some.

But, at some point, if it has been a while since you had a beer, it is worth a try to see if some of the new stuff works for you.

57 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You're not alone.  I think beer is an acquired taste.  I think wine is the same. Certainly something like kombucha at the extreme end or even a tame thing like coffee has folks taking sides.

WRT beer, I think the field is now broad enough that there are beers for most people.  Like how wine has red and white and a bazillion ways to do both, there still end up wines that most people can find one (or more) to choose.  Coffee, with added 1/2 & 1/2 or sugar or PUMPKIN SPICE (yuck!) can make it tasty to some.

But, at some point, if it has been a while since you had a beer, it is worth a try to see if some of the new stuff works for you.

I just gave up drinking for the most part anyway.  Trying to protect my liver here.  I drink maybe two cocktails a year.  Otherwise, I am just non-alcoholic bev here. 

15 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I wouldn't expect much difference.  I am more intrigued by Old No 7s India Porter.  Actually I guess that would be similar to ESB, dark, heavy, and hoppy.

No problem not liking beer, Hip.  Tastes vary.  I used to like wine but it doesn't do that much for me now.

I’m tweaking the recipe as we speak. I’m following Charlie Papazian’s recipe for Goat Scrotum Ale. It’s a Porter with a lot of ingredients including molasses. I’m adding a quart of cold brew coffee and some cocoa powder in addition to the molasses. I will buck tradition and go with four ounces of hops for bitterness; probably English varieties like East Kent and Fuggles. Labor Day weekend is time to brew. 

• Awesome 1