How do you make chicken soup?

Randomguy

I start with a roux and home-made stock.  My favorite is to take a leftover roast chicken out of the fridge.  Pull the meat off the bones and put the meat back into the fridge until needed.  Toss the bones into a stock pot with one or two chopped carrots, celery, some onion, salt, peppercorns and a bay leaf.  Cover with cold water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for one to two hours.  Strain broth and discard bones and veggies.  Put the stock in a 2 1/2 quart pot and heat to simmer.  While the stock is heating, melt two tablespoons butter in a small pan.  When the butter is hot, whisk in two tablespoons flour, stirring until roux thickens and gradually turns a dark tan, ten minutes or so.  Remove from heat and add roux to the stock, stirring to blend well.  Add diced onion, carrot and celery and reserved chicken.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes.  Just before serving, add chopped fresh parsley.  If you want noodle soup, pour over cooked noodles.  If you want chicken and rice, pour over cooked rice.  If you want the starches cooked in the broth, adjust your liquid accordingly and cook according to starchy directions.

• Heart 1

Cut up some raw chicken and boil in chicken broth until done. Remove chicken. Add rice to water cook for a while until rice is 1/2 to mostly done. Add veggies like carrots, celery, maybe some more chicken stock if needed. Put the chicken back in and season to taste.

I don't agree about adding rice, or pasta to the water.  It gets too mushy and must be served table side separately.

Don't skip on the cayenne.  A small amount can add a nice complex flavor.

That's why I mentioned only cooking it until half done or a little more so when you call it done, it's just when rice is done and not all mushy.

That's why I mentioned only cooking it until half done or a little more so when you call it done, it's just when rice is done and not all mushy.

That method will still suck with leftovers, IMHO.  Even if you stop cooking, it will only be good for serving that one time.  When left overnight, it will soak up more liquid and the rice or pasta will be mushy. 

That method will still suck with leftovers, IMHO.  Even if you stop cooking, it will only be good for serving that one time.  When left overnight, it will soak up more liquid and the rice or pasta will be mushy. 

I don't know, mine always reheated well.  Or at least good enough for me.

I think it's pretty damn good, even as leftovers.

Ingredients

2 cups water
    1 (64-ounce) carton fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 cup onion
    1/2 cup celery
    1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 medium carrot, chopped
    6 ounces fusilli pasta
    2 1/2 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Preparation

1. Combine 2 cups water and chicken broth in a microwave-safe dish, and microwave at HIGH for 5 minutes.

2. While broth mixture heats, heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, celery, salt, pepper, and carrot; sauté 3 minutes or until almost tender, stirring frequently. Add hot broth mixture and pasta; bring to a boil. Cook 7 minutes or until pasta is almost al dente. Stir in chicken; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Stir in parsley.

Ingredients
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts

Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)

2.  In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.

3.  In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.

4.  Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.

5.  Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Of course if you want something really good, you have to do something that takes some work.  Pain in the ass, but WoIndy's favorite.

Take Three Smaller Eggplants and Slice them in 3/8 inch rounds.
Do not use large Eggplants, even though it is tempting, they get bitter the larger they are. If you have a Mandolin it is a lot easier to get uniform slices.

Make a breading station 2 Large Eggs with 1/4 cup of milk (guess) to make a wash. On a large plate use Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs.
Quickly Dip the Eggplant in the wash and lightly coat both sides of the eggplant with bread crumbs. Fry the Eggplant in 375 oil only until they are golden on both sides (they will finish in the oven baking). You can use a sauté pan with very little oil, just make sure you flip the eggplant over. I do not recommend Extra Virgin Olive Oil, it is a very strong flavor and the Eggplant sucks up the oil. Use Canola or Vegetable.

Once the Eggplant gets out of the frying process, place it on paper towels or a draining rack and lightly salt..... make sure you fry in small batches, if you crowd the oil temp will drop and you will have mushy and oil filled egg...plant.

Buy two jars of Barilla Baking Sauce. Place a light layer of sauce in a 9 by 13 baking dish and place one layer of the fried eggplant on in the dish. On top of the Eggplant put some mozzarella (do not use Fresh it has too high of a moisture content) I usually put a light layer. Add just a splash of the baking sauce over the cheese. You want to use most of it on top of the dish. Repeat this for a second layer.

Make a third layer, but do not put any Mozzarella on top. Just use a large quantity of sauce (I use one jar for the top) on top and sprinkle with Parmesan Reggiano Cheese (Yes the Good Stuff).

Bake in a 375 for about 40 minutes you want it bubbling and the edges just starting to crust up.

Take out and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes. This is not to let it cool but come together as a solid dish.

While waiting chop fresh basil or flat leaf parsley (if you do not like the flavor of basil.

Slice in Squares and garnish with grated cheese and basil.

You can go to four layers, but I would not go more then that. It gets a little heavy in content. Be careful not to put too much sauce between the layers, it makes it loose and will not come together after it rests.

Now one of my favorites.  Freaking flavor explosion and really easy.

Ingredients Ingredient Ammount Units Chicken Breast 4   Chili Powder 1 Teaspoon Cilantro 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard 1 Tablespoon Garlic 2 Cloves Ground Cumin 1 Teaspoon Monterey Jack Cheese Shredded 1 Cup Olive oil 2 Teaspoon Salsa 1/2 Cup Salt 1/4 Teaspoon

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.

Sprinkle chili powder, cumin, and salt over chicken.

Add chicken and garlic; cook 5 minutes

Turn chicken over

Combine salsa and mustard; spoon over and around chicken.  Continue cooking, turning chicken and stirring sauce, 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Sprinkle cheese and cilantro over chicken.  Continue cooking 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.

And don't forget Desert.

Sugar Cream Bars

1 Yellow Butter Recipe Cake Mix
1 egg
1 stick of butter

Mix and press in to a 9x13 pan. Set aside.

In a bowl combine:
8 oz Cream Cheese
1 lb powdered sugar
2 eggs

Mix and pour over cake mix.

Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes until light brown on top. It will rise when baking and then fall as it cools.

Variations:
Add 2-3 T lemon or lime juice to filling
Add berries or jam drop by tsp over filling
Add chocolate morsels
Vary the cake mix flavor for fun

Enchiladas Would be good.

Ingredients Ingredient Ammount Units Butter 4 Tablespoon Chicken Bouillon 2 Teaspoon Chopped Onion 1/2 Cup Flour 4 Tablespoon Flour Tortillas 12   Green Pepper 1   Ground Beef 1 lbs Red Bell Pepper 1   Salt 1 Teaspoon Shredded Mexican Cheese 1   Sour Cream 2/3 Cup Taco Sauce     Water 1 1/3 Cup

Cook beef & Onion until meet is brown.
Drain off grease
Stir in salt
Divide meat into tortillas
Top each w/ taco sauce & Cheese
Roll & place seam side down in baking dish

In sauce pan melt butter, blend flour, bouillan.
Stir in water after butter is melted.
Cook until thickened
Stir in sour cream
Pour over tortillas

Bake uncovered @ 350 for 15 min.
Sprinkle w/ cheese and bake 2 min.

Hard to beat a good Meatloaf though.

Ingredients

1 pounds ground beef
1 tablespoon butter
1 egg
2/3 onion, chopped
2/3 cup milk
2/3 cup dried Italian bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup prepared mustard
2/3 cup ketchup

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Saute Onions in butter.
In a large bowl, combine the beef, egg, onion, milk and bread OR cracker crumbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste and place in a lightly greased 5x9 inch loaf pan, OR form into a loaf and place in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
In a separate small bowl, combine the brown sugar, mustard and ketchup. Mix well and pour over the meatloaf.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour 15 minutes or 170F temp.

I know, how about a Mexican Styled Pork Chop and Spanish Rice

Ingredients Ingredient Ammount Units Chili Powder 1 Teaspoon Green Pepper 1/2 Cup Hot Sauce     Minced Garlic 1 Cloves Minute Rice 2 Cup Onion 1/2 Cup Pork Chops     Sugar 1 Teaspoon Tomato Sauce 28 Ounces Vegetable Oil 1 Tablespoon Water 1 cup

Brown Pork Chops.
Place everything but rice in slow cooker.
Just before your ready to eat, add minute rice.

Though that does take awhile.

My cooking style is less white trash and more like michelin star style. <wink>

I don't even know what that means. Do you cook with Chervil? Got an awesome rice dish that uses it, just a real pain to find the stuff.

Now I'm all hungry. Good thing it's almost quitting time.

As a closet foodie, I may 'borrow' a few of these recipes to play with

The eggplant Parmesan is awesome, based off of a college friend's grandma's. She only speaks Italian.
  • Heart 1

I couldn't wait for the recipes, so I used what I had, which was a store-bought rotisserie chicken (with lots of rosemary) some fancy-pants gourmet condensed chicken stock (made in Ohio), a full bunch of celery, a whole little bunch of carrots.  I got it going whilst I went out for parsley.  It turned out well, but not amazingly well, kind of a thin stew because of vegetable overload.  I like the veggie overload.

I should have asked this yesterday.

• Heart 1