Did I Rescue A Gamera Spawn?

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by Thaddeus Kosciuszko,

12 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I hope you took it to a nice turtle shelter.

image.png.221f3c8e42042bc8a5b5e83d8f45a000.png

7 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I usually do not know what the shell I am talking about, but I think that you may have rescued a baby snapping turtle.  Jagged edge to the shell, long tail and that beak like snout are my clues.

Well, it didn't snap at me!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

For many years I have been going to a remote beach on a local lake. It’s about the only beach that is there 90% of the time because of the changing water levels of the lake. Every year the snapping turtles go up there and dig a hole in the sand to lay their eggs and every year raccoons or other animals go up there to dig up the turtle eggs and eat them. By June when I get there in my kayak the beach is covered with bunches of empty turtle egg shell. I don’t care, I hate snapping turtles.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Isn't there a need for them? Snapper soup????

I have seen the power of their bite and I swim in that lake. I don’t even like to think about what can happen.

When I lived among the stone quarries I would often see them on the road. I would stop and rescue them and throw them in my trunk or bed of my pickup. I would take them to the local bait shop and they would call someone they knew to come and get them. They liked to make turtle soup. Some of the turtles were so large I could hardly lift them.