Cold-proofing yourself

Randomguy

Step one, not have a kid

But since you do, suck it up, it's just a cold.

This brings up a good point, I do have live offspring.  Since she will be passing everything onto me, cold proofing is even more important.

Also, it isn't just a cold, it is a debilitating cold.  I don't get little colds or mild colds, which was the style of my youth, now they all seem to be monsters.

This brings up a good point, I do have live offspring. Since she will be passing everything onto me, cold proofing is even more important.

Also, it isn't just a cold, it is a debilitating cold. I don't get little colds or mild colds, which was the style of my youth, now they all seem to be monsters.

You sound like my wife.

My advice is wash your hands.  A lot.  Seriously, I do this everytime I have been out anywhere.  I'm almost like Monk.   :)

Maybe your immune system is sucking.  Do you eat a balanced diet and get plenty of vitamin C and D?

I haven't had a cold or the flu in several years.  I try to exercise daily, wash my hands religiously, eat right and take vitamins.  It seems to work for me.  Having said all that, I will now probably catch pneumonia and die next week.   :(

• Heart 1

Last year I ran out of vitamins. I bought into the theory that vitamins just give you expensive pee, so I didn't replace them. DUMB!!! Had a couple days of flu (yes, I had received a flu shot) then a two week cold...twice!! I vented about it to one of the PA's I work with, and she just kept nodding her head. "Yup. Yup."

I'm back to a simple daily vitamin.

My wife puts a crapton of supplements on my napkin when we sit down to eat at home.  I'm not even sure what all they are.  I know I take Vitamin C, D, B complex, B3, CoQ10, and a pile of barley green tablets, Selenium, Folic acid,  I don't get colds or the flu but I do have regular blood work done and visits to my oncologist and dermatologist.  When in a medical waiting room I never pick up a magazine or newspaper, all kind of sick people have been handling them.  Play with your smart phone while waiting, it's safer. My wife worries about menus when we eat out.  She says most restaurants don't sanitize the menus.  She carries disinfectant wipes in her purse and hands me one right after we order.  We both supposedly have weakened immune systems from our cancer and treatments so she doesn't take any chances.  It seems to work.

My meds supposedly weaken my immune system.  However, I rarely get sick. I don't have kids, but work in a job that exposes me to tons of viruses.  It's a job that is second only to being in a Hospital.

I don't want to fight about this or have people tell me I am paranoid, weak or whatever...but this is what I do to stay a healthy girl:

I get my flu shot.  I eat lots of fruits, vegetables and healthy grains. 95% of my diet is super clean, but I do have my cheats here and there.  I take supplements (Vitamin D, Calcium, a multi and fish oil). I practice ways to relax and keep stress under control.  I exercise regularly.  I wash my hands often.  If an obviously sick person has touched my office things, I wipe those items down with a clorox towelette, before I touch them. I keep my pens and pencils away from the masses.  Only I use them.  I am serious about keeping my pens for only myself. 

• Heart 1

Don't use hand sanitizer after you do every single little thing.

If you go out and mess with the chickens in the chicken coop, fine.  Use the alcohol gel.  But don't use it every time someone looks at you.

Get your ass out and ride.  Especially when it's nasty out.

Wash your hands after using a public restroom. 

Eat well.

Pick your nose when sitting in traffic.

• Heart 3

you need to rub down in Ben Gay, then wrap yourself in bubble wrap, then have a woman kick you in the nuts. 

Oh wait... I'm thinking of the game you play with hookers... 

What your going to want to do is get to the pharmacy and start RoBo'ing

Okay...I have to admit I don't go ape shirt crazy with the hand washing.  I mean yes I do wash my hands after using the bathroom...and I do TRY to wash my hands after I pick up a used tissues that ends up n the floor (at work...at home those are my germs and I don't care)...I aso try to use a paper towel when picking up something like a used tissue....HOWEVER...I have come home from work and the grocery store and just grabbed something to eat...without washing my hands..Sometimes I think we are too germ o phobes. I do not even have antibacterial soap in my house.

Drink your hot tea...take some vitamins (although  I mostly only do D,Calcium and the stuff the doc wants me to use for Rosacea which is a B....just started a multi this summer)....eat well balanced meals and get some good sleep 

I took 2 C and my allergy stuff last night...maybe my allergies just flared...I don't know...and I went to bed early...(believe me it is okay to go to sleep when Random Baby does......at least on occasion.)   I am around old people all the time and sometimes they come and sit in my office sick as a dog...just to chat and tell me they aren't feeling good.   I do think little kid germs are worse than old people germs  :nod head:

Stay well...exercise and get some good sleep and balanced meals...that is the most important.

My advice is wash your hands.  A lot.  Seriously, I do this everytime I have been out anywhere.  I'm almost like Monk.   :)

Maybe your immune system is sucking.  Do you eat a balanced diet and get plenty of vitamin C and D?

Stop washing your hand so much.  You need to get germs into your system so you can build an immunity.  Stop washing your hands in public restrooms unless you shit or piss on them.  If you did shit on your hands then just use water, stop using the anti-bacterial soap.  You need to build up your immunity system so go outside and eat some dirt.

• Heart 1

It seems we have two schools of thought working here.  One is kill all the germs and they can't get you and the other is expose yourself to as many germs as possible so your body can build up an immunity.  There is something to be said for both views, I think when we run into trouble is when we try to play both sides at the same time.

There are things in my life that expose me to build immunity, IMO.  I am a mountainbiker.  I eat a ton of dirt that is filled with bacteria.  I work in a public environment where I am exposed to all kinds of bugs.  I do wash, but not excessively.  I think there is a happy balance there.  Wash before eating.  Practice cleanliness when dealing with clearly sick people. Get a flu shot.  Wash after using the toilet.  

My methods work for me.  People around me are sick far more often than I am.  

Personally, I think good diet and exercise is the best course of action when keeping the immunity high.  

You should wash your hands after exposure to publicly used paraphenalia, such as door knobs, handrails, shopping carts, etc.,  They are the main conveyors of dangerous bacteria, viruses and even fecal material.

If you think exposing yourself to this crap makes you stronger, then the next time you go to the grocery store, you should lick the cart handle.  One big, long, slow lick of the entire handle area. That ought to make your immune system really robust.   :)

• Heart 1

I do admit to using alcohol gel a ton,  but only at work.  I use it in ICU's or after handling "stuff".  I wash my hands a lot then as well. 

Not so much at home.  I wash my hands when cooking, after feeding chickens, after playing with dogs and after my hands have touched my junk.

I do admit to using alcohol gel a ton,  but only at work.  I use it in ICU's or after handling "stuff".  I wash my hands a lot then as well. 

Not so much at home.  I wash my hands when cooking, after feeding chickens, after playing with dogs and after my hands have touched my junk.

My husband has to use the gel at work too and he washes his hands a ton.  His poor hands were getting so terribly dry from all that.  We had to get some special creams for him to soften up again.  It doesn't help that we live in a desert.  dry dry dry

I haven't had a cold in about 7 years.  I have never had a flue shot, and don't do anything special.  During cold / flue season I do try to keep up with my regular vitamins which are B12 and complex, D, and zinc. I think in general I have a pretty strong immune system.... genes, diet, lifestyle ? who knows...

genes, diet, lifestyle and yoga

Someone posted a video on FB about a 96 year old yoga instructor yesterday, it was pretty good.  She still teaches and she is pretty good at it.  I thought of SuzieQ in fifty years or so. :D

She lives close by, I'm trying to get her to my studio, but she is so busy!! :)