I found this on today’s ride.

Longjohn

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

He is 75 years old and he did great.

That's awesome! Also pretty cool that your brother is riding with you! :nodhead:

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I would not of found it if I didn’t hear it.

I've probably located over a dozen waterfalls that way.  A number of times I found falls just as you did, riding along and happened to hear the distinctive sound a waterfall makes.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

7 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Very cool!  But I think your brother riding with you is even more cool.

He was riding my Trek 520 with the good headlight. My headlight that I ordered from Amazon hasn’t come in yet so I was wearing a strap on headlamp that was almost as good as nothing in the tunnels. They had reflectors on the trail alternating one on each edge of the trail and then one in the center of the trail. My headlamp didn’t light up any of the trail itself but dimly lit up the reflectors. The problem was a lot of the reflectors were missing and I couldn’t tell when I saw one reflector if it was the one in the center of the trail or if was one on the edge of the trail and the other one was missing. I dropped off the edge of the trail three times in the tunnels. Luckily trail maintenance finally fixed the shoulder so you just go onto gravel instead of the old unridable rail bed the was the way it was last time I rode through the tunnels.

Those two tunnels are the darkest place on earth. They curve so you can’t see the light at either end of the tunnel for most of the ride. My new 7,000 lumen headlight is supposed to be delivered Saturday. I followed my brother through the tunnels but the taillight I have on that bike was so bright it blinded me so I let him get way ahead so it wasn’t so distracting. He rode off the edge of the pavement one time and I followed him. Owl be glad when I get that new headlight.

• Heart 2

28 minutes ago, smudge said:

Damnit, I would love to ride the tunnels!!! I should plan a road trip and ride with ya. I'll bring the beer and nitro! Ha!!!

Those tunnels are truly amazing but unbelievably dark. They just seem to swallow your light. My first trip through the longest tunnel I found a guy that attempted to ride through without a light. He didn’t make it very far before he crashed but far enough he couldn’t see any light from either end of the tunnel. I helped him up and he seemed ok except for some road rash. I guided him out with my headlight.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Those tunnels are truly amazing but unbelievably dark. They just seem to swallow your light. My first trip through the longest tunnel I found a guy that attempted to ride through without a light. He didn’t make it very far before he crashed but far enough he couldn’t see any light from either end of the tunnel. I helped him up and he seemed ok except for some road rash. I guided him out with my headlight.

It really is surprising that those tunnels are in use, dangerous as they are.  I was not a fan!

5 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

It really is surprising that those tunnels are in use, dangerous as they are.  I was not a fan!

I haven’t seen any fresh bricks that have fallen from overhead in years, maybe someone does an annual inspection? My first time through I had a good headlight but also carried a really bright flashlight. I shined it up on the top of the tunnel and it seemed that most of the fallen bricks came from near the entrances to the tunnels and not from deeper inside. Maybe from more exposure to the weather?