This Ought To Tick A Lot Of Boxes

Razors Edge

Around here when a railroad shuts down a line they pull the rails and ties and sell them and rails to trails comes in and turns it into a bike trail like the one I was on yesterday. There is a former steel mill in the one town that is along the bike trail that buys up used railroad rails from all over and makes rebar and fence posts out of them after they roll them out. Even rail lines that are still in use have to replace rails after they wear down.

8 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Around here when a railroad shuts down a line they pull the rails and ties and sell them and rails to trails comes in and turns it into a bike trail like the one I was on yesterday. There is a former steel mill in the one town that is along the bike trail that buys up used railroad rails from all over and makes rebar and fence posts out of them after they roll them out. Even rail lines that are still in use have to replace rails after they wear down.

We used to get used railroad ties and use them for landscaping and retaining walls.  I guess I assume they were "used" - they looked it - but they also might have just been ones that were made but sold for landscaping?  It was when I was a kid, so the 70s.

27 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We used to get used railroad ties and use them for landscaping and retaining walls.  I guess I assume they were "used" - they looked it - but they also might have just been ones that were made but sold for landscaping?  It was when I was a kid, so the 70s.

I was doing the landscaping for a new doctor clinic and had to build a retaining wall out of ties. He wanted brand new ties. Those suckers are expensive and hard to drill but he got what he wanted. It did look good when I got done and it has held up well for over 30 years.