??WTF??

Wilbur

I just saw my neighbour as she was bringing delivered groceries in from her porch.  I haven't seen her in over a year.  Come to think of it, I haven't seen her son in over a year either.  I said hi and she told me today was kind of a freaky day for her as the school had a pre-opening parents meeting.  As it turns out, she has an 18 month old infant I have never seen.  They have been complete shut-ins for almost two years.  

I can't imagine the psychological harm that has been done by being shut in for that length of time. 

Just, wow!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Good man.  We watch out for them during bad weather but that's about it.

I always help them when they need it and quite ofter use my snowblower to clear their drives.  Some people just keep to themselves and I am cool with that.  They still get shortbread at Christmas. :) 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I just saw my neighbour as she was bringing delivered groceries in from her porch.  I haven't seen her in over a year.  Come to think of it, I haven't seen her son in over a year either.  I said hi and she told me today was kind of a freaky day for her as the school had a pre-opening parents meeting.  As it turns out, she has an 18 month old infant I have never seen.  They have been complete shut-ins for almost two years.  

I can't imagine the psychological harm that has been done by being shut in for that length of time. 

Just, wow!

Wonder if the baby had any conditions that merited that type of (near) complete shut-in. 

A good friend of mine, her daughter and hubby living and working in Paris (France), flew to visit her on Vancouver Island just 2 wks. ago. The baby was just under 18 months from photos I saw.  This might be a more "extreme" example regarding very young children.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

that does seem a bit weird, 'specially  you had no idea of a kid.

What's been interesting when certain chunks of employees work from home full-time during covid, at least for our organization, is not even realizing certain employees were pregnant. One is told 1-2 wks. before they are about to go on mat. leave.  It makes a difference in terms of who our group needs to interact with etc. during the person's (sudden to us) absence.  

Normally, we have big meetings precovid..blend of in-person with virtual participants beaming in ..that's over 40 people in 2 different waves several times annually from across the organization.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Just, wow!

You think the baby was born at home? Common enough, but not an easy assumption.  Weird no one plays or hangs out in their yards up there.  Seems like even avoiding people in general would still mean folks would venture outside for the pleasure of it. 

I don't really track my neighbors, but the ones I am used to seeing to stick out when they are missing. A few around here, though, seem to live a life of not going outside - for example, you'll see them come and go via car only with the garage door opening, and them driving out or driving in, and the door closing behind them.  Weird. But also somewhat common.

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You think the baby was born at home? Common enough, but not an easy assumption.  Weird no one plays or hangs out in their yards up there.  Seems like even avoiding people in general would still mean folks would venture outside for the pleasure of it. 

I don't really track my neighbors, but the ones I am used to seeing to stick out when they are missing. A few around here, though, seem to live a life of not going outside - for example, you'll see them come and go via car only with the garage door opening, and them driving out or driving in, and the door closing behind them.  Weird. But also somewhat common.

We can’t all be rugged outdoorsmen. :D

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

We can’t all be rugged outdoorsmen. :D

Some of my neighbors are wicked good at grilling!  I see them grilling all the time - into winter - so it's just a matter of what gets folks out? 

Definitely some pretty asocial and/or introverted people out there too who do way better staying pretty separated from the rest of us maniacs.  Hell, there was that show about the folks going to Alaska and the far north to get away from everybody.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I have a cousin who is 85 and her daughter, SiL, nephew and nieces do a lot for her in terms of grocery shopping, bill paying, carryout delivery, etc.  But she meets them with a mask at the door.  She and they are COVID vaccinated.  Some people are just scared.

• Heart 2

our neighbor next door was "private". We saw them on the street pushing a baby carriage as we were returning home. We pulled up & asked...did you "borrow" a baby? Max was almost 6 months. They said no....he's ours!  They were friendly but tended to open the garage door & pull in. (TWSS?) Wen (Mom) did get more friendly when she found out I knew construction people. I hooked her up a couple times

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

WIth the exception of the street I grew up, haven't socialized with our neighbours or even know them except by face. Living in highrise buildings often does create more need for privacy. On my floor, just a couple of words or just hello. In moving amongst different cities, I just find it easier to be more private with most other neighbours who I strongly sense are just..from a different world.  However in each building I've lived, I've  known at least 1-2 people who knew abit more about me and me about them.  All of this has nothing to do with covid and current restrictions.

I know there is a friendly face in the building. That's good enough.  

7 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Wonder if the baby had any conditions that merited that type of (near) complete shut-in. 

A good friend of mine, her daughter and hubby living and working in Paris (France), flew to visit her on Vancouver Island just 2 wks. ago. The baby was just under 18 months from photos I saw.  This might be a more "extreme" example regarding very young children.

She said it was a normal healthy delivery and baby.  I think Mom was scared of Covid.  

8 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Just, wow!

I think I could do without the interaction with people, but then again, I have you folks. Saw a lady at the fair that I had not seen in ages. Before covid, we use to see hr pretty regularly. She figured we were spending most of our time with the sheep.