Neighbors dying of covid

Allen

One of my neighbors passed with covid yesterday. His son, and granddaughter who live in the same house are also ill. The son is intubated and in ICU. The daughter is now living with her other grandparents, who are of course anti vaccination. 
They were nice people, but I’m having a hard time feeling sympathy and that weighs on my conscience.

I learned about it this morning at the local cafe. An argument broke out about covid being real and vaccines being fake. I walked out. Just threw money on the table and didn’t wait on my food. 

I want to feel sorry for the family, but that well is about dry. Deny covid, deny vaccines, ridicule science, and be willing if not want full to pass the disease to the rest of their family and community. Callousness is not an emotion I express, ever, but all I can think is the poor granddaughter is going to be an orphan because of ego and two people who who were carriers  are gone and soon to be gone. Maybe society is better off with an orphan. 

• Sad 8
  • Hugs 2

13 minutes ago, Allen said:

One of my neighbors passed with covid yesterday. His son, and granddaughter who live in the same house are also ill. The son is intubated and in ICU. The daughter is now living with her other grandparents, who are of course anti vaccination. 
They were nice people, but I’m having a hard time feeling sympathy and that weighs on my conscience.

I learned about it this morning at the local cafe. An argument broke out about covid being real and vaccines being fake. I walked out. Just threw money on the table and didn’t wait on my food. 

I want to feel sorry for the family, but that well is about dry. Deny covid, deny vaccines, ridicule science, and be willing if not want full to pass the disease to the rest of their family and community. Callousness is not an emotion I express, ever, but all I can think is the poor granddaughter is going to be an orphan because of ego and two people who who were carriers  are gone and soon to be gone. Maybe society is better off with an orphan. 

Both my wife and brother have the same disdain for anti-vaxxers.  It is a shame we have to feel that way.  I am a rights above all else guy but as I have said before, your right not to vaccinate should never trump my right to live.  The dangers of Pfizers vaccines have proven minimal. People need to just accept that and get it done.  We can't have a society of double standards. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Both my wife and brother have the same disdain for anti-vaxxers.  It is a shame we have to feel that way.  I am a rights above all else guy but as I have said before, your right not to vaccinate should never trump my right to live.  The dangers of Pfizers vaccines have proven minimal. People need to just accept that and get it done.  We can't have a society of double standards. 

I've been watching you, Wilbur. You seem to be a man of principles. I'm also glad to call you an online friend... even if you don't feel the same way. :flirtyeyess:

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Allen said:

I've gotten past the guilt part and I have a hard time feeling sorry for anti-vax people dying. They effectively killed themselves but there's not even the sympathy you feel for the desperation in suicide victims.  In many cases, like the Texas politician who died of COVID last week, they organized and ran anti-vaccination rallies. Screw them!

On CNN yesterday or this AM, the sister of a teacher who died of COVID after returning from the summer to a no-masks-required school, was going on and on about how she loved life and said, "She was still considering which vaccine to get."

To me that's insane!  She had an unnamed health issue to begin with and she didn't get vaccinated before school started back up, where you work today in no-open-window classrooms with recirculated air, kids are messy and when sick often get their faces 6" from your nose and say, "I feel sick."  When I taught the Nutrition Science class whose curriculum I co-created, we had students go to their lockers with Scotch tape and stick it to the metal on the top of their upper shelf, bring it back to the lab and then stick the tape to a Petri dish with nutrients and watched for bacteria to grow.  When the results came in, LOTS of bacteria, the kids were ashamed of themselves!  THAT's the hygiene level this teacher was going to be around yet she STILL didn't get the Covid vaccination!

I'm sorry she died but she was virtually asking for it.

• Heart 2

18 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

When it comes to anti-vaxxers, I hope Darwin is right.

I think the dead among the antivaxers are getting exactly what they deserve.  On the surface, I applaud the fact that these idiots are not going to be around to vote. it is the children of these idiots I feel bad for.  While they ultimately will be better off, the immediacy of the new reality has to be traumatic as hell.

On the brighter side, there is a subreddit that basically posts all the antivaxer's individual posts denying the pandemic, makes fun of the people getting vaccinated, the stupid theories of what it REALLY is all about (freedoms, duh), and such, then the later posts of them having covid, then in the hospital and dying, and then their stupid antivax enablers saying how the world is suffering without these 'good people', and of course the requisite gofundme page.  Check it out here:  https://www.reddit.com/r/HermanCainAward/

The name is perfect, btw.  Good riddance to the terminally stupid who endanger us all and their terminally stupid buds who feed them complete horseshit at every occasion.  I don't feel sorry for them at all, but again, the younger kids will suffer for their selfishness and stupidity.