Thurs Nite Ride with Sandra

Mr. Beanz

Before I go, a video for  you! :D

Thurs Nite Ride with Sandra. Pretty scary course. She wanted to do something different so we started in Covina doing her ride this time. She had 2 flat tires at the start so it put us way behind schedule. Wowzer! Pretty scary as we ended up in the dark and in heavy traffic. Good course but too much traffic so I have to say, I won't do that one again. I'll stay in Claremont and surrounding areas where the traffic is cycling friendly. Trying to get by the 57 fwy on ramps on an uphill was scary. But got a video out of it and I'm still alive. :happyanim:

• Heart 1

33 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

nice video, especially for in the dark.

What lights do you use?

I am using 2 Cygolites, model 300 Metro.

One on the helmet mounted with a go pro strap.

The other on my hb's. 

They are only 300, lumens but I bought them when I didn't know much about lights or I would have bought at least a 600. Of course the shop said they were great so I went with their advice. Of course that is what they had in stock. :D

But on some GMR night rides, a friend with a fancy set up said they are as bright as his $300 setup so I'm happy with them. If I ever have to replace them, I will step it up. But I get plenty of comments from other cyclists on their brightness.

I also use ankle band reflectors and a small red blinkie on the back of my helmet. And a Cygolit red blinkie on the post. I got this one off ebay, not much more expensive than the LBS cygo blinkie but very very bright.

I have been using Ay Up lights for the past 10 years.  700 lumens. Australian, a bit pricey, but they were recommended by guys that got caught in the rain several times during the spring double centuries in So Cal in 2011.  Those lights didnt fail.  I can get about 18-20 hours out of one charge in the blinking setting.  Last fall I got 17 hours out of one charge on a double we rode around Phoenix.  They have high and low beam settings, and blinking.  I ran it on low beam to start, for about 2 hours, then switched to blinking during the day.  Switched back to low, then high beam to finish the ride.  Didnt have to go to my back up battery. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, az_cyclist said:

I have been using Ay Up lights for the past 10 years.  700 lumens. Australian, a bit pricey, but they were recommended by guys that got caught in the rain several times during the spring double centuries in So Cal in 2011.  Those lights didnt fail.  I can get about 18-20 hours out of one charge in the blinking setting.  Last fall I got 17 hours out of one charge on a double we rode around Phoenix.  They have high and low beam settings, and blinking.  I ran it on low beam to start, for about 2 hours, then switched to blinking during the day.  Switched back to low, then high beam to finish the ride.  Didnt have to go to my back up battery. 

That's great charge life. Mine are not that long but never really use them for 3-4 hours. But I use high on my helmet to look around and signal traffic from the side. Last night we did about 3 hours. One on high for about 3 hours then started to fade so I went to medium and it seemed fine but lower than the other that was medium the entire time. But that was because I forgot to turn it off while fiddling with Sandra's tire. But no way it would last nearly as long as yours I'm guessing. I never tested it for time. I should. :D I could use one at a time as well but I just feel safe with 2.

My rear blinkies last about 6 or more hours on one charge.  Even the ebay cheapos.  But I don't have to worry not doing doubles.  :P

• Heart 1