CBS gave me an "A" for my fantasy draft!

MickinMD

The CBS evaluated drafting grades (bottom pic) don't matter much in a veteran league where the drafting was done well by all and resulted in what should be an extremely competitive and exciting league - the top team is only projected to score 3.3 more points per game than the bottom team!

My Ravenskins lived up to their name with four Ravens drafted plus the Washington DST (Defense & Special Teams).

I would have added Washington QB Ryan Fitzpatrick except he's playing the tough Broncos defense away the week (8) my starting QB, Lamar Jackson has a BYE.  So I grabbed the Vikings' Kirk Cousins because he's home that week against the Cowboys' weak defense but the Cowboys will score points so Cousins will be throwing the ball a lot to his talented receiving group.

image.png.fad22632c1749ed19ca7a356b9cefff3.png

571165770_BattlingBabyBoomersInitialDraftResultTeamScoreProjections.thumb.JPG.7a50cb6074bec7d6259e1090f7a7aee8.JPG

• Heart 1

Damn!  I never seem to get the #! pick in my drafts, but I just drew it (randomly done) in my 2nd draft tonight.  My 3rd league drafts tomorrow.

I usually like to vary my teams but McCaffrey is projected to do so much better than the next-best running back that I can't pass him up.  I sure hope he stays healthy!

image.thumb.png.d1091dbdf8c35612367aa570bed58ab7.png

• Heart 3

A really cool thing happened in my Yahoo fantasy league's draft.  I was all queued up and ready to press "Draft Christian McCaffrey," having the random-drawing luck of the first pick in the league's draft.  The counter to begin the draft counted down: 10, 9, etc. and glowed red at 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.  Then, suddenly, a video appeared on the screen!

It was Yahoo sportscaster/fantasy analyst Andy Behrens who said "First pick! It's not quite like winning the lottery but it is like winning a solid prize in a scratch-off...What a break..."

For a moment I thought it was live!  He went on to re-affirm my draft choice:

1369505193_AndyBehrensFirstPickAdvice1.thumb.JPG.08eb709b79d0b80f4362aa2f4344a1fa.JPG 1288676010_AndyBehrensFirstPickAdvice2.thumb.JPG.fe5e35f640a646fe8e70b27032da6138.JPG

2068394738_AndyBehrensFirstPickAdvice3.JPG.cc113a1083a43210b0f93b2cbaf08ff0.JPG

See the video here: https://sports.yahoo.com/1st-pick-fantasy-football-draft-002720412.html

That was in my 2nd draft on Saturday, for a private Yahoo IDP (includes Individual Defensive Players) league and I got the league's only A grade!  Note that live fantasy drafts are "snake drafts" so I flip-flopped: 1st pick R1, last (10th) pick R2, 1st pick R3, last pick R4, etc.  Having the 1st pick can work against you - your 2nd pick is the 20th overall pick in a 10-team league.  So picking first isn't a big advantage - except when that #1 guy has a phenomenal season, which McCaffrey is poised to do!

Yahoo loved my draft:

415128306_Ches.BsyRetrieversDraftGrade.thumb.jpg.9a1b7e122aa0f2330cdd7b56034739d2.jpg

I did one cool trick, drafting injured Michael Thomas, the NFL's best WR when healthy, with the cheap 160th pick in the draft, then stashing him after the draft in one of my allowed "IR" slots and adding another player to the team, Curtis Samuel WR WAS.  Thomas is eligible to return and expected to be healthy week 8, so I'll have him for half my regular season plus the playoffs.

Ches.Bsy Retrievers Drafted Team.jpg

Edited by MickinMD
  • Heart 1

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

So do the a teams play each other and the c teams play each other?

No, all the teams play each other. It varies from league to league and from CBS to Yahoo to NFL.com etc.  In the league I run on CBS each year, I stick to CBS's standard format: there are three divisions - randomly assigned by CBS's computer.  Each team plays the other teams in its division twice (6 games) and each team from the other divisions once (8 games) during Weeks 1-14 of the NFL season.

The three division winners and the three other teams with the best records (points scored, etc. are used as tie-breakers) go into a 3 week knock-out playoff (NFL weeks 15-17), with the best two teams getting a bye in the first week.  So NFL week 17 is our "Super Bowl."  It's standard in fantasy football to finish BEFORE the last week of the NFL regular season (week 18) because teams that have clinched real-NFL playoff berths often sit their best players for some or all of the game and that would wreck a fantasy league's championship game.

This week, for the games running Thursday through Monday, my Ravenskins are playing Big Horn and are favored by 6 points.  The projected scores of my 9 starting players and my opponent's 9 (QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, Defense, K) are listed and changes can be made by replacing some starters with bench players or replacing with low-value players with "free agents" - those not currently on a team if you can find any.

This game - we will play each other again on week 12 - features the #1 and #2 running backs in the NFL and two of the top scoring quarterbacks and an excellent day by a great player can decide the game, so this week is pretty much a toss-up.  It helps me that Lamar Jackson is playing against the Raiders awful defense while Russell Wilson faces the Colts strong defense, but both McCaffrey vs Jets and Cook vs Bengals face two of the worst defenses in the NFL which probably means they'll have big numbers and TDs, but if they're teams go way ahead they may also be rested late in the game.

1757374633_LeagueDivisions.thumb.JPG.c2c5cee165c7c4e22ffd1d038cea611f.JPG724485020_RavenskinsWk.1InitialOdds.thumb.JPG.f604248024e95f801aabbe987bcacf67.JPG

• Heart 1

NFL.com gave me an A+ for the third and final preseason fantasy football draft.  I picked 4 out of ten in the odd rounds and 6 out of 10 in the even rounds.

This was a tough one partly because it went so fast: 10 teams picked 260 NFL players in 55 minutes, an avg. of less than 13 seconds per pick.

Also because I was at a crab feast at my brother's house while doing the draft, drinking Bud Light from blue cans while trying to stay alert to which positions were getting grabbed too fast.  Fortunately I had done my homework and had my player order and draft strategy all ready to go.

791248577_SapiensDraftGradefromNFL_com.JPG.3666e3e98976c9dda5b65412d47d4c31.JPG

My team won this Backfield Penetration League's championship game in 2019 and has led the league in scoring the last 3 years.  I hope this team makes it 4 in a row:

1683064367_SapiensDraftedTeam.thumb.JPG.761ace2d009539b1e5432cf0aba29c5e.JPG797201_Sapienshighestscoringteamlast3seasons.JPG.1e141315775b591ea8fdc0d78c71df22.JPG