Fear of missing an alarm clock going off.

MickinMD

I seldom need an alarm clock in retirement so I don't know how I'll respond to the alarm and set up a back-up in just in case.

But the uncertainty generated by not waking up to an alarm every day bothers me enough I may have trouble falling asleep.

I do have one set for 7:30 am every day but am almost always awake by 6 am - I think my body's conditioned by decades as a high school teacher.

I need to get up around 6 am tomorrow - morning meds, breakfast, take car to get worn brake fixed, spend some hours at my nearby sister's.

So I set the alarm clock by my bed for 6 am but also set my Smartphone's alarm to 6 am in case I fall asleep in my living room recliner - even though the radio on my alarm clock is loud enough to wake me up in the recliner.

• Heart 1

My smoke alarm went off at 3 am this morning. I turned my alarm clock off, it didn't stop the smoke alarm, but it did turn off the alarm.

My wife woke me up at 6:45 "the alarm didn't ring, you're late"

I jumped out of bed and ran in circles, panicking. Then remembered I really don't give a shit anymore. Then realized I don't start at 7 anymore. It has been 7:30 for quite a while now, and I had plenty of time.

So I made it to work on time.

But I'm concerned about the smoke alarm. Think I'll be putting in a hard wired system

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

24 minutes ago, Further said:

But I'm concerned about the smoke alarm. Think I'll be putting in a hard wired system

Just wait until 2:00 AM and 8 (that's what is in my home) smoke alarms go off together.  :frantics:   That sucks...  and it's LOUD.   (they scare our dogs too... :()

We had 2 different types of alarms; smoke and the other smoke/CO,  4 of each.  I have no idea why the difference.  Anyway...   3 times over 2 years,  one of the smoke alarms triggered the alert.   After the 2 AM alert...  I replaced the 4 smoke alarms with identical smoke/CO alarms that haven't caused any problems.

42 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I seldom need an alarm clock in retirement so I don't know how I'll respond to the alarm and set up a back-up in just in case.

I don't need an alarm, I just drink 1 or 2 glasses of water before I go to sleep when I need to get up early.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I recently set my eyephone for 5 minutes after the alarm as a backup after reading that Kirby does that. It worked once when the clock radio volume got turned too low.
In a related story,  I was quite pleased to hear the clock radio alarm still work in our power failure night due to the backup 9v battery and the Panasonic “Perfect Sure Alarm”. :)

• Heart 1

I usually wake up just prior to my alarm as well but anymore I don’t set an alarm & just get up when my wife gets up.

I mostly worked nights in the military but for a short while I worked days. Shift start was 0600 but we had to draw weapons, have guard mount & get vehicles so report in time was 0500.  So wake up time was 0400. 

I must have done this about 5-6 times while working days. Wake up, turn off alarm, get out of bed, get ready & report in at…...0200.  ChrisL, what the fuck are you doing here so early???

Ahhh Shit… Oh well, no sense going back to the barracks… I might as well draw a weapon & hit the road, anyone want to go home early???

• Heart 2

9 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I recently set my eyephone for 5 minutes after the alarm as a backup after reading that Kirby does that. It worked once when the clock radio volume got turned too low.
In a related story,  I was quite pleased to hear the clock radio alarm still work in our power failure night due to the backup 9v battery and the Panasonic “Perfect Sure Alarm”. :)

So the backup woke me today!  The primary‘s clock lost aboot 10 minutes due to the power failure and I neglected to check it, so it wouldn’t have been that bad, but backups are good to have!

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Why not just use your iPhone as the alarm?  Use the iphone Sleep app and set an appropriate bed and wake up time?

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, Longjohn said:

It doesn’t matter what time I set my alarm I always wake up a few minutes before it goes off.

I found that if I turn the face of the alarm clock so that I can't see it, I sleep longer sometimes. I must look at it while still asleep somewhat.

I still get up 99% of the time before 7 AM and usually closer to 6 AM like today.

If it's really important, I set two alarms to get up. Usually my cell phone and the alarm clock. 

• Heart 1

Just now, Kirby said:

I don't even want to say how many backup alarms I set each morning. :whistle:

If I am tired, I will set my watch to go off 5 minutes before my iPad which is set for 5 minutes before my Alarm clock.  I never seem to miss the watch alarm so my wife doesn't normally wake when I get up. 

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If I am tired, I will set my watch to go off 5 minutes before my iPad which is set for 5 minutes before my Alarm clock.  I never seem to miss the watch alarm so my wife doesn't normally wake when I get up. 

I hate to get up right after being woken up by the alarm, so I set an early alarm that doesn't really mean get up, and then an alarm that is supposed to mean get up.   And each of those alarms have backups, And the real backup needs a couple backups too. :nodhead:

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Kirby said:

I hate to get up right after being woken up by the alarm, so I set an early alarm that doesn't really mean get up, and then an alarm that is supposed to mean get up.   And each of those alarms have backups, And the real backup needs a couple backups too. :nodhead:

One of my daughters does that.  The wake up process is over an hour.  :) 

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I like lying around for 5-10 min. before getting up.  It's a nice way of easing into the day.  

However I'm the sort of person, that would get at my office computer (after changing from cycling gear) half an hr. before I start work.  I just don't want to get stressed by starting work immediately bang off like a firecracker.  WHo needs that @ 7:30 am. --my official start time for the past 30 yrs.? Today I'm not working.  

So I always negotiated with employers to start at that time....so I could leave work just a tad earlier than rest of the lemmings that crowd transit trains in winter/rain.  I also found starting work that early, is nice quiet time to plough through emails and corporate intranet messages in peace.  Occasionally even meet with another early starter employee, where we would leisurely discuss a problem to solve.

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I don't need an alarm.  I usually just wake up aroud 5 or 6.  I go to sleep super early, and my body just wakes up when it is time to get up.  I think I need to leave the house around 7:15 to get to work timely.  The new commute is about 30 minutes.  

Constant sleep schedules are a wonderful thing. 

12 hours ago, MickinMD said:

But the uncertainty generated by not waking up to an alarm every day bothers me enough I may have trouble falling asleep.

I do have one set for 7:30 am every day but am almost always awake by 6 am - I think my body's conditioned by decades as a high school teacher.

I need to get up around 6 am tomorrow - morning meds, breakfast, take car to get worn brake fixed, spend some hours at my nearby sister's.

So I set the alarm clock by my bed for 6 am but also set my Smartphone's alarm to 6 am in case I fall asleep in my living room recliner - even though the radio on my alarm clock is loud enough to wake me up in the recliner.

When the indians had to wake up early to ambush the white man, they drank as much water as they could before going to bed.  They would wake early having to pee, then they went and killed as many white dudes as they could without fancy alarm clocks.

Just drink a lot of water before going to bed, and you'll wake up just fine.  I would refrain from killing as many white men as you can, though, that is frowned on these days.