DeathJim to the hurricane watch

Dottleshead

4 hours ago, Dottles said:

@BuffJim whatcha got on this baby?  Looks like it could be trouble for you east coasters.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/09/05/powerful-hurricane-larry-could-be-stronger-than-ida/5740597001/

After screaming about death and dismemberment, the article goes on to make the following statement:

"At this point, it is most likely that Larry will miss the United States and stay a few hundred miles away from the Northeast coast," Accuweather said.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Attention attention attention

Attempted goalpost moving in progress.

People die EVERY MINUTE of EVERY DAY for a myriad of reasons.  If you want to hype it for whatever random amygdala stimulation, feel free. 

Remember, everything can't be a panic or a crisis or a catastrophe.  But, if you want to call Ida "the storm of the century" or some other exciting term, feel free.

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

People die EVERY MINUTE of EVERY DAY for a myriad of reasons.  If you want to hype it for whatever random amygdala stimulation, feel free. 

Remember, everything can't be a panic or a crisis or a catastrophe.  But, if you want to call Ida "the storm of the century" or some other exciting term, feel free.

Goal post moving is a fairly common technique to deflect from having made a statement that can't hold up to inspection.  The people who use the technique have usually said something they can't back away from so they keep on digging deeper.

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Goal post moving is a fairly common technique to deflect from having made a statement that can't hold up to inspection.  The people who use the technique have usually said something they can't back away from so they keep on digging deeper.

WHAT IS YOUR STATEMENT?  Mine is that you seem unnecessarily panicked. And now unnecessarily defensive. But you seem fine with that.  I'm fine stating that the panic for all the recent (and looming) storms was more hype than reality, and that a true Katrina-like event - 1,800 deaths and the rebuilding of a large part of NO and the levee system - is magnitudes more - in almost all respects - than Ida or Henri or other recent storms.

I like hype - it is fun to get all worked up and talk about ice cream sandwiches and thank you notes - but if you're getting amped every week over the next "storm of the century", I feel for you.

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

Why do they always say--- this could be the worst one yet?

A myriad of reasons.  Firstly, the want the public to be prepared and to take adequate actions to stay safe.  Hurricane Katrina was the last under estimated weather event so they try to overstate the severity now. 

Weather planning for transportation.  Obviously, they want boat, train, plane and road operators to be prepared for the worst case scenario.  Much like laws being targeted at the lowest common denominator individuals. 

I have been watching Larry since it first left the African coast and it turned into a storm very quickly.  Forecasting has gotten better over the years but there are so many variables that effect the intensity and effect of storms.  

So, it isn't for ratings but it is to scare people into taking the right actions for preparedness. 

• Heart 1