Your dream vacation

Kirby

Let's pretend someone gave you a 3 week, all expense vacation!  Let's also assume we're post pandemic and there are no quarantine or travel restrictions rand a trusted someone is available to take care of any home responsibilities such as childcare, eldercare and pet care   The only guidelines are: 

1.  One week has to be somewhere in the United States

2.  One week has to be somewhere in Canada and

3. The last week can be anywhere else in the world.

Where are you going to go during your three week trip and do you plan any particular activities such as a local festival, cycling trails, museum tours, river cruise etc.

1.  Charleston.  Bike riding on the tandem, a bit of running over the Ravenall Bridge, lots of relaxing and fine dining.

2.  Prince Edward Island because I love Anne of Green Gables and I have never been to PEI.

3.  Luxembourg to relax, visit friends, and use it as a launch spot to other places we may want to go.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

9 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Let's pretend someone gave you a 3 week, all expense vacation!  Let's also assume we're post pandemic and there are no quarantine or travel restrictions rand a trusted someone is available to take care of any home responsibilities such as childcare, eldercare and pet care   The only guidelines are: 

Where are you going to go during your three week trip and do you plan any particular activities such as a local festival, cycling trails, museum tours, river cruise etc.

1) Likely be a ONE week camping/trailer vacation hitting NPs in shoulder season - maybe some of the NoCal - OR- WA - MT - WY - SD and as far as reasonable (probably too far for SD).  I could easily do one week on the Big Island of Hawaii as well.

2) Same as 1, but more that Pacific side of CA or, a eastern CA bike tour - I think we had some discussion a little while back from a Dennis thread on some good biking out these.  Nova Scotia, PEI, NB, etc???

3)Way too many. Looking at some cycling action in Italy or Spain for next year, but likewise some hiking along some of the various Alps routes is fun. If I sailed better, Greek islands and up into the Adriatic too.

• Hugs 1

32 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

1. California Coast

2. Ride the train across Canada

3. Greek islands to th’Alps. 

All tough choices. I would love to work in Alaska and Hawaii and/or Tahiti too. 

For #1 Id gladly pick you up in Ventura & drop you off in the OC.  Much of coastal LA is a miserable mess to ride through.  Bad roads, bad traffic & dicey neighborhoods.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

15 hours ago, Kirby said:

I’d probably combine #1 and #3, with a week in Hawaii and then a week in the South Pacific. Fiji, Tahiti, Bora Bora, or even NZ or Australia. 
For Canada, I think I’d want to go the the James or Hudson Bay (in the middle of summer). I don’t know where, exactly, but I suspect the feeling of wilderness would be overwhelming. 

• Hugs 1

I doubt that the schedule would allow for 3 consecutive weeks but rather 3 separate 1 week vacations.

1.  Canadian F1 Grand Prix Montreal Canada.

2.  Japanese F1 Grand Prix Suzuka Japan

3.  Miami F1 Grand Prix Miami Florida

Of course the vacation would include pit passes and team access to a team of choice for each race.  If any alternatives exist I'd prefer to skip the US F1 race and replace it with one in Europe, probably Zandvoort Holland.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

6 hours ago, shootingstar said:

If you could, would you move back to Vancouver if real estate pricing wasn't so high? Or maybe wife, etc. is more wedded to Ont.

Well, I had an opportunity 6 months ago for work but Mrs does not want to relocate and leave the girls here.  So, I am here but the coast lives within. 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 2

2 minutes ago, Kirby said:

And what are your choices? :dontknow:

1. Farmhouse in Campobello on a peach farm. Huge wrap around porch, late July, fireflies everywhere. Only air-conditioning would be fans. No tvs, only radio.  Homegrown watermelons,  corn, tomatoes.  Fried ocra, buttermilk biscuits,  peach ice cream. GrannyCheese on rocker telling stories about the good old days. 

2. Wilbur's cottage. 

3. Lake District National Park England

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

That is a hard one to answer.  I would have to say it would have to involve multiple locations, dragging the camper around to all of them.  New place at least every other night.  Wyoming and Utah for the US, I don't know dick about Canada so any campgrounds close to water/beaches etc would be dope.  The last week anywhere I would prob end up somewhere on the coast of northern California paying 16 dollars a gallon for diesel and having all of my water rationed.  I would like to see Napa, maybe stay at some wineries in the camper.  

One thing I know is that I would want my wife and kids along.  Another absolute is NO GRUMPY OLD FUCKWADS complaining about their dialysis start time or their TV's that are not working right or their bowel habits.  You did say "dream" vacation, right?

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

16 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

1. Farmhouse in Campobello on a peach farm. Huge wrap around porch, late July, fireflies everywhere. Only air-conditioning would be fans. No tvs, only radio.  Homegrown watermelons,  corn, tomatoes.  Fried ocra, buttermilk biscuits,  peach ice cream. GrannyCheese on rocker telling stories about the good old days. 

I assume Campobello, SC and not the joint US/Canada National Park in New Brunswick?

• Heart 3

US:  Inner mountain NW Poke around Montana, Wyoming, ND, SD. Loved those landscapes and towns on my bike trip. 

Canada: Maritime Provinces NL, PEI, NS and NB

ROW:  Bucket list planned trip to Dublin May 2022, pandemic permitting. Plan to lodge in Dublin for a week and take day trips from there. 

• Heart 3

10 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Well, I had an opportunity 6 months ago for work but Mrs does not want to relocate and leave the girls here.  So, I am here but the coast lives within. 

I see. Your girls are all grown-up.  Who knows --they might up and leave your city one day.   

A work colleague and hubby are looking buy their final home for retirement.  She is hyperfocused on finding a bungalow with 3km radius of where each of her adult children have homes.   Honest, that's just too narrow in our city of choices (especially bungalow is limited supply now).  Her hubby is trying to explain to her, that they could move somewhere else in our city, one day.

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

I see. Your girls are all grown-up.  Who knows --they might up and leave your city one day.   

A work colleague and hubby are looking buy their final home for retirement.  She is hyperfocused on finding a bungalow with 3km radius of where each of her adult children have homes.   Honest, that's just too narrow in our city of choices (especially bungalow is limited supply now).  Her hubby is trying to explain to her, that they could move somewhere else in our city, one day.

Cottages. Bungalows. You CAnadians are soooooo wacky with your house types!

I week in the USA.  Hawaii.  I haven't been there (it is in the plans of several of us).

1 week in Canada.  Quebec City and vicinity.  I haven't been there.

1 week anywhere.  A one-week Danube Cruise or Baltic Sea Cruise or a week a few cities in Italy.

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I week in the USA.  Hawaii.  I haven't been there (it is in the plans of several of us).

1 week anywhere.  A one-week Danube Cruise or Baltic Sea Cruise or a week a few cities in Italy.

You would enjoy Quebec City. Also Quebec for the south has decent agri-tourism.... we biked to 2-3 goat cheese farms between Montreal and Quebec on Velo Quebec bike routes. Lovely quality. Wonder if maple syrup is same price there as ie.  Vermont's...

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

There is a fabulous bike and barge down the Danube.  Ride when you want to bike and hop back on the boat to sleep or if you don't feel like exploring by bike.  Some day trips but never have to pack and repack.  If you go from Prague to Budapest, Einstein and I will go too.  

28 minutes ago, Airehead said:

There is a fabulous bike and barge down the Danube.  Ride when you want to bike and hop back on the boat to sleep or if you don't feel like exploring by bike.  Some day trips but never have to pack and repack.  If you go from Prague to Budapest, Einstein and I will go too.  

Prague is just amazing of what to see. Many layers of architectural history, art and many museums also. 

• Heart 1