Brakes bill $499

MickinMD

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

It sounds high to me too, but very reasonable based on my experience with the local area.  I live in the 5th highest avg. income county in the highest avg. income state and our prices are also higher than avg.  Of course, my countywide school system pays WAY higher than the avg. teacher's pay elsewhere so I still come out ahead.

I am constantly amazed at how little my relatives pay for things in places like Wilkes-Barre, PA compared to what I pay here.  My cousin gets good 3/4" thick haddock filets for $5.99/lb vs $9,99 on-sale for me - and I live at a big port and seafood city! Another W-B, PA cousin bought London Broil (Top Round) steak for her daughter's 16th birthday party and pool bash on Sunday for $1.99/lb on sale and I was told it was delicious.

Many people buy homes along the MD-PA border and then drive 90-120 min. to work in Central MD because house prices are half as much there.

I lucked oot on the del sol. I think aboot $250 for front pads and rotors. Calipers were ok. He says they might have been sticking a tad but they lubed the guide pins well so that should take care of the severe uneven wear hopefully.  So I guess I could have gotten away for $25 with just cheapo pads and the worn but still serviceable rotors, but I decided not to chintz on brakes. I had gotten by with that before so I didn’t press my luck. And mechanics have to eat!  I am quite happy with this mechanic. Good work at good prices and usually next day or two service. 

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I lucked oot on the del sol. I think aboot $250 for front pads and rotors. Calipers were ok. He says they might have been sticking a tad but they lubed the guide pins well so that should take care of the severe uneven wear hopefully.  So I guess I could have gotten away for $25 with just cheapo pads and the worn but still serviceable rotors, but I decided not to chintz on brakes. I had gotten by with that before so I didn’t press my luck. And mechanics have to eat!  I am quite happy with this mechanic. Good work at good prices and usually next day or two service. 

Again, I will repeat, If the brakes don't stop it, something will.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, jsharr said:

Again, I will repeat, If the brakes don't stop it, something will.

Yeah and you will not like how you stop, it won't be very good for you or what stopped you.

How I rank the importance of things to repair on a car;

1) brakes

2) steering

3) everything else... 

• Haha 1