So, I got my blood test results today at the doc. Do you want the good news or bad news first?

Wilbur

Hip replacement and knee replacement seem to be pretty common and growing more common over recent years.  It really seems the better they get at it, the more folks don't have to be debilitated by it, so the less dramatic or extreme a replacement surgery becomes. 

There have to be folks here in the Cafe (or their loved ones) who have either had hip or knee replacements.  I'd love to hear the pros/cons.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The good news is:  There is no bad news. Literally everything is mid-normal range.  So, I have not killed my liver even when RG tried to do it in.  

The only bad news was in my bone scans which I also got back.  "Significant degeneration in both hips"  Looks like a replacement in my more senior years.. 

So did something prompt your doctor to have a bone scan for you?

I haven't had one yet nor has my physician requested any at this time.

My Dad had one hip replacement when he was still working (so early 60's?) and then they replaced that one and did the other when  he was in his 80's.  The difference in the procedures and recovery time was amazing.  For the first, they had a bed moved to the first floor of their house since he couldn't do stairs for a long time, and he was in the hospital for awhile.  For the other two he was walking the day of the surgery.  I think he stayed overnight and was home after that.  That was probably 10 years ago, so I'd imagine the procedures are even better now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

So did something prompt your doctor to have a bone scan for you?

I haven't had one yet nor has my physician requested any at this time.

Yes, I have some degenerated lumbar disks they keep an eye on from a cycling accident when I was 17.  I live with constant hip pain so they do the scan on that as well.  

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

My wife was in so much pain from her hips that were destroyed by chemotherapy that I talked to her oncologist and asked her if she thought my wife could have her hips replaced without stirring up the cancer that was on her bones but didn’t seem to be going anywhere. She said absolutely go for it. She didn’t think it would stir up trouble. My wife had one hip done and three months later had the other hip replaced. She had at least five pain free years and said that was one of the best decisions she ever made. 

Thanks for that insight John.  I am not there yet.  I don't have balance or stride issues yet, just pain.  Most of which goes away on a bike. :) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

The good news is:  There is no bad news. Literally everything is mid-normal range.  So, I have not killed my liver even when RG tried to do it in.  

The only bad news was in my bone scans which I also got back.  "Significant degeneration in both hips"  Looks like a replacement in my more senior years.. 

Sorry brother.  This is not going to be fun.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

There have to be folks here in the Cafe (or their loved ones) who have either had hip or knee replacements.  I'd love to hear the pros/cons.

Hips are faster than knees to heal, surprisingly. My FIL was home in a day or two, with home PT. His only post operative issue was pain-medicine related, which I see as a real downside of the rush to get people home from the hospital quickly. In a step down or rehab facility, you’d have more nursing care, and the ability to focus on what the surgeon may have glossed over. 

• Like 1