I'm a bad person, a murderer even

Square Wheels

I wanted to cry.  It happened so fast (I was speeding).

Got off the ramp at about 60, I could easily do 80or 90.  Many people go fast on this offramp.

No cars around, I always pay attention when driving.

I had this odd thought, why is there a dog running through the air, then aww, it's a cute little deer, then swerve, jam on brakes, bang.  Not sure where what hit what, lots of damage to the side, some to the front.  Tossed the deer to the opposite side of the road.

It took less than a second for me to react.

I am sad, I ended its life.

• Sad 7
  • Hugs 3

I had a deer run into my car while I was on a major highway driving home from work.  I love deer so it upset me, but I was also very glad that it wasn't worse and that the impact didn't cause me to hit anyone else.  It's traumatic.  But I am very glad that you are ok.  Deer/car accidents are pretty common around this area, and many of them don't end well for the people involved.  Any car accident is upsetting and I'm sorry for the damage to your car, but I am very thankful that you weren't injured.  That is absolutely the most important thing.

• Heart 2

You're not a murderer and if you're locale is like mine, you're doing a culling service needed since the minimization of predators.

The deer population exploded in Maryland and Northern Virginia around the end of the 1900's to the point where deer hit by vehicles became too great.  The hunting season was expanded and hunting encouraged.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Of all the deer I’ve hit only one didn’t get up and run away and that was the deer I was going the slowest on. I’ve never hit a deer hard enough to damage my cars. The ones I hit with my bike did damage to me, the bike was ok.

So did the bike/you collide the deer head on or?  Wow..that would be scary..

I was on a bus, when it hit a deer.

44 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

So did the bike/you collide the deer head on or?  Wow..that would be scary..

I was on a bus, when it hit a deer.

I was trying to see how fast I could make it home from work. I had just bought a really good headlight and it lit up the road real well. It didn’t light up the cornfield to my right. Four deer jumped from the high bank right on the road in front of me. I was on a long downhill and had outrun my highest gear. I remember thinking this is going to hurt, but when I came to the deer were gone . My bike was fifty feet behind me so the deer must have stopped the bike and I kept going. Broken clavicle and scapula. Partially ripped off eyebrow and road rash and bruises all over.

• Sad 4
  • Hugs 1

I had one come through the windshield.  He almost destroyed the car.  It should have been totaled as they almost had to cut the top off and weld on a new one.  I did write a thank you letter to Ford however as the front window pillar and the roof just above the windshield stopped him and probably saved my life.  250 lbs of guided missile coming down from above at a 60 mph car can be pretty dramatic.

• Hugs 1

11 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I wanted to cry.  It happened so fast (I was speeding).

Got off the ramp at about 60, I could easily do 80or 90.  Many people go fast on this offramp.

No cars around, I always pay attention when driving.

I had this odd thought, why is there a dog running through the air, then aww, it's a cute little deer, then swerve, jam on brakes, bang.  Not sure where what hit what, lots of damage to the side, some to the front.  Tossed the deer to the opposite side of the road.

It took less than a second for me to react.

I am sad, I ended its life.

Had this happen almost the exact same way a few years ago.  It was probably 9pm, dark, and came from the passenger side, but pretty similar overall.  I couldn't find the deer, though.

My wife was severely saddened - crying and even some PTSD - and I still hate driving that stretch of road in the dark.  Definitely a shitty feeling.

• 1 month later...