She Was Very Sweet

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by dinneR,

Last night, at the start of my ride, a woman from was also setting out for a ride, and I waved to her (on the side path) as I entered onto the main path.  Anyway, at the start of almost any ride, I roll along at a nice slow pace to bring the body (specifically my knees) up to speed gently.  For the first 10-15 minutes - which corresponds to a lot of stop and go and traffic signals and stop signs - I just take it easy.  At about the 15 min mark, things loosen up and there are many fewer places to slow/stop, and I am also reasonably warmed up.

Anyway, the lovely woman obviously didn't like my leisurely pace, and eventually passed me by.  She was quite cheerful, announcing the pass, and saying "enjoy your ride".  Well above my general "Howdy" that I offer most folks.  Anyway, as she pedaled away, I worried I would eventually look like the usual dick who can't let a lady pass him and chases her down.  Anywho, fast-forward to after my warm up and the wide open stretches, and the eventual pass, and my "Have a good one" as I passed, and I think she wasn't too bothered by being passed.  After my turn-around and on my return home, I passed her as she was still going, and she gave me a big smile, so all seems good between us.

How do you feel about this sort of thing?  My warm up section is an area of "high risk" for this sort of thing, so I am used to it, but I always feel a little mean or obnoxious when I switch from warming up to actually riding and start catching and passing those folks.  It seems to really strike a few folks the wrong way (stir their competitive nature?), but it is one of those things that can't be avoided.  If I am really lucky, I get passed just as I am about to finish my warm-up by someone who is going a good pace for the post warm up ride.  They can be great carrots.  Rare, but it does happen a few times a year.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

The only people I pass this year are casual recreational riders and parents riding with their little kids. I pretty much ride the same speed from start to finish.

Do the kids cry when you pull a Jsharr and flip them off? 

• Haha 3

I ride my pace and I focus on my effort. I really don’t care if you draft me (but don’t be pissed if I don’t call out a pot hole because I don’t know you are there) and I just wave or nod as I pass.  If they pass me again that’s cool, it doesn’t affect my ride. 

I really don’t pass that many competitive riders in kit these days as I’m not going that fast anyway…

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Do the kids cry when you pull a Jsharr and flip them off? 

The only people I flip off is the assholes that don’t dim their headlights or worse that have those 10,000 lumen headlights that blind me so I can’t see the road. I only flip them off because I know they can’t see me in my car. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The only people I flip off is the assholes that don’t dim their headlights or worse that have those 10,000 lumen headlights that blind me so I can’t see the road. I only flip them off because I know they can’t see me in my car. 

I notice I blind other riders & especially joggers who run at night on the MUPs so I just cover my light with my hand as we get close.  I have had numerous runners wave (5 fingers not one!) & thank me for doing that.

36 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Last night, at the start of my ride, a woman from was also setting out for a ride, and I waved to her (on the side path) as I entered onto the main path.  Anyway, at the start of almost any ride, I roll along at a nice slow pace to bring the body (specifically my knees) up to speed gently.  For the first 10-15 minutes - which corresponds to a lot of stop and go and traffic signals and stop signs - I just take it easy.  At about the 15 min mark, things loosen up and there are many fewer places to slow/stop, and I am also reasonably warmed up.

Anyway, the lovely woman obviously didn't like my leisurely pace, and eventually passed me by.  She was quite cheerful, announcing the pass, and saying "enjoy your ride".  Well above my general "Howdy" that I offer most folks.  Anyway, as she pedaled away, I worried I would eventually look like the usual dick who can't let a lady pass him and chases her down.  Anywho, fast-forward to after my warm up and the wide open stretches, and the eventual pass, and my "Have a good one" as I passed, and I think she wasn't too bothered by being passed.  After my turn-around and on my return home, I passed her as she was still going, and she gave me a big smile, so all seems good between us.

How do you feel about this sort of thing?  My warm up section is an area of "high risk" for this sort of thing, so I am used to it, but I always feel a little mean or obnoxious when I switch from warming up to actually riding and start catching and passing those folks.  It seems to really strike a few folks the wrong way (stir their competitive nature?), but it is one of those things that can't be avoided.  If I am really lucky, I get passed just as I am about to finish my warm-up by someone who is going a good pace for the post warm up ride.  They can be great carrots.  Rare, but it does happen a few times a year.

You should ride gravel more often. Very few other riders, just you, the bike, and the scenery. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Stand in your front yard and flip off the cyclists?  That can be fun.  "Slow down, Lance!"  "There are kids playing, Mario!"

Stand?  Shit, I sit in a nice comfy chair with a big glass of scotch in my hand.  Or I get in my car and go in search of cyclists! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, denniS said:

Better yet, get a SS gravel bike. Just pedal, don't overthink it.

I think we determined the hipsters and cruisers are the SS crowd now.  You seem to be over-complicating it by focusing on a niche sort of thing.  Think "broad" and inclusive, not narrow and exclusive.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I notice I blind other riders & especially joggers who run at night on the MUPs so I just cover my light with my hand as we get close.  I have had numerous runners wave (5 fingers not one!) & thank me for doing that.

My new light has a high beam and a low beam but it has a flashing strobe in between them and then off before you get back to high beam. You pretty much have to select what you want and then just stay there.

5 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

My new light has a high beam and a low beam but it has a flashing strobe in between them and then off before you get back to high beam. You pretty much have to select what you want and then just stay there.

Is it too late to return your fancy TI bike and get a steel fixie?  @denniS thinks we're doing it wrong :(

32 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Somehow I'm betting you only choose the hottie instructors to stare at for your workouts.

I am currently doing a 5 week course called "Discover your power zones".  Basically it gets you used to training with a "power meter" and has specific classes that you take on a specific schedule.  Sometimes they are hot chicks, and some times there are dudes!  Like WTF????    

Olivia is not too hard on the eyes.  Peloton Cycling and Tread instructor Olivia Amato | Fitness inspiration  body, Biking workout, Fitness models

• Hugs 1

22 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Sounds like an enjoyable set of events.  I had a similar multiple-encounter.

I was getting my bike ready for a ride alongside a parking lot, realized the emergency bag on my rear rack wasn't tightly secured by the bungee cords, and had to quickly stop the bike.  A woman on a bike stopped and asked, "Are you ok?"

I said yes and that I hadn't been riding for a couple years and called out, "Enjoy your ride!" as she pedaled away."

But I hoped I hadn't been too abrupt, spending more time looking at the bag I was adjusting than at her.

A couple miles into my ride, she was riding back toward the parking lot and we said "Hello," again and she smiled and called out, "You're looking good for a long layoff!"

That told me all was fine.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

On 9/9/2021 at 9:59 AM, Razors Edge said:

How do you feel about this sort of thing? 

Maybe she was glad you didn't carry-on past a cordial greeting. We women like to go for a bike ride (or hike, or walk, or run, or PB...) and have fun without every Harry, Thom, or swinging Dick out there thinking our existence outdoors is an invitation to a request for our phone number.

• Heart 1

On 9/9/2021 at 8:59 AM, Razors Edge said:

Anywho, fast-forward to after my warm up and the wide open stretches, and the eventual pass, and my "Have a good one" as I passed, and I think she wasn't too bothered by being passed.  

How do you feel about this sort of thing? 

I like to warm up into my pace so innocent things like the sweet lady are cool. I will smile and say something as small talk when I go by to let them know I'm not being obnoxious.

But then I have had those who stand up and sprint around when I am warming up, looking back like Lance to Jan. After my warm up, they better be gone because if I see a weakness, I'm going to give it a go! :D

Or like that forum member of the past who calls you out by saying that your ride reports and home turf is for sissies. :o That guy, Big Kahuna. Guy called me out on the forums. Challenged me to do a century on his tougher rougher home turf. That was a joke. He was the guy who didn't warm up. Shot out of the gate like a bat out of hell trying to impress others with his speed. Another member SemperFi and I just kept him in our sights for 15 miles, then he was toast.  One of the most boring slowest centuries I've ever done waiting on his ass at every climb and every turn. Sad thing was he asked for like 3 more chances to prove himself on a century. Got even worse. But his attitude out the gate was entertaining. I'd ride with him for 15 miles watching him kill himself then spend the rest of the ride waiting for him.  The perfect bat out hell from the gate personality. No warm up, just showing off then into a total fade. Ended up doing 4 centuries with the guy  waiting on every single one till it wasn't even fun anymore. Then he challenged me on GMR. Ha ha ha what a joke that was!

So it depends, how I feel. Had some good forum groups of 20 people all helping each other throughout the entire ride.  Warm up, keeping pace, working together, nobody gets left behind. Love this ride. If we pass people, we're always very nice about it.

On the other hand, hate the bat out of hell trying to impress others with speed only to fade after 15 then having to wait or cut the ride short cause the guy had tears in his eyes. Literally happened twice. Only part of this ride I enjoy is unleashing a beat down on the arrogant bastard. :D

5 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Maybe she was glad you didn't carry-on past a cordial greeting. We women like to go for a bike ride (or hike, or walk, or run, or PB...) and have fun without every Harry, Thom, or swinging Dick out there thinking our existence outdoors is an invitation to a request for our phone number.

I love the female anatomy of course, but I stopped doing group rides for this reason. 25-30 riders, half female, very strong female riders. The guys would get there early so they could line up and prep the bikes for the female riders.  Pump their tires, attach lights.  Nice helping others but this was pretty pathetic. The women were strong but the guys felt the need to hug their sides and give riding tips to them throughout the ride. Making it dangerous imo. Wow, could you just let them ride their bikes, already?! Half the women were stronger than the guys.

I have 2 buds that did the ride so we talked about it several times. It was like we were there to ride but the other 15 guys were there to hook up. Pretty annoying if you ask me. Glad I'm not a woman, guys would be asking me for my number every time I went for a ride. But then again, I'd probably make a pretty ugly looking woman. :D 

On 9/10/2021 at 7:28 PM, Mr Beanz said:

On the other hand, hate the bat out of hell trying to impress others with speed only to fade after 15 then having to wait or cut the ride short cause the guy had tears in his eyes. Literally happened twice. Only part of this ride I enjoy is unleashing a beat down on the arrogant bastard.

Yeah - I generally am at a different point in my ride than folks I pass along the way.  I might be just starting and idling along, or I might be gassed from a longer ride, or  might be in the "perfect" zone of warmed up, feeling good, and ready to up the pace.  Depending on when I meet someone out on a ride, they may also be in one of those different spots.  I often pass the kitted out team guys, but they're just riding casual, so we're in different "modes".  Likewise, a few weeks ago, a guy came hauling ass by me, and I sped up a bit to keep pace with him.  He went a little farther, started coasting, and I as I rolled up next to him, he apologized and mentioned he was doing intervals (which would explain the balls out then easy peasy action).  I chatted for a few minutes but then just cruised off as he was done for the day and I was just starting.  Could I kick his azz in a ride? Maybe. Or maybe he'd kick mine. Or maybe on some routes I could do better and others he would rock.

I also encounter a LOT of the sprinters near a popular parking lot.  I'll pass someone or be near to passing them, but then they kick it up a notch.  It often turns out they are just doing one final big push before rolling into the parking lot.  I understand that as I often try to finish off with a short high effort kick too.  Anyway, long story short, I don't think I could judge most riders I roll past on a ride, because of the wide variety of possibilities for their actions.  But I also wouldn't smack talk too many folks. 

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - I generally am at a different point in my ride than folks I pass along the way.  I might be just starting and idling along, or I might be gassed from a longer ride, or  might be in the "perfect" zone of warmed up, feeling good, and ready to up the pace.  Depending on when I meet someone out on a ride, they may also be in one of those different spots.  I often pass the kitted out team guys, but they're just riding casual, so we're in different "modes".  Likewise, a few weeks ago, a guy came hauling ass by me, and I sped up a bit to keep pace with him.  He went a little farther, started coasting, and I as I rolled up next to him, he apologized and mentioned he was doing intervals (which would explain the balls out then easy peasy action).  I chatted for a few minutes but then just cruised off as he was done for the day and I was just starting.  Could I kick his azz in a ride? Maybe. Or maybe he'd kick mine. Or maybe on some routes I could do better and others he would rock.

I also encounter a LOT of the sprinters near a popular parking lot.  I'll pass someone or be near to passing them, but then they kick it up a notch.  It often turns out they are just doing one final big push before rolling into the parking lot.  I understand that as I often try to finish off with a short high effort kick too.  Anyway, long story short, I don't think I could judge most riders I roll past on a ride, because of the wide variety of possibilities for their actions.  But I also wouldn't smack talk too many folks. 

Yeah, different riders have different strengths. I never hop or follow somebody that passes me. I figure they don't know where I have been and I don't know where they have been. I am annoyed by guys that we pass, they hop Gina's wheel, then sprint around a mile later looking back like a tough guy. If they had been that fast, then we would have never caught them at Gina's pace in the first place. If I see such games, they better not fade cause I'll be looking for that ha ha ha! 99% do fade so it's actually a bit of entertainment for me.

BUT! I have had some guys pass me when I am alone and giving it my all. They catch up, sit on my wheel for a break then continue around. If someone catches me when I am giving it my best, more power to them! If I had been fast enough to keep up with them, they never would have caught me in the first place. I don't play the fool when a stronger rider passes me, I just tip my hat. Many times I will say 'good job' cause I know if I am working hard, they have to be as well passing me.

I remember one guy that hopped on the road as I was doing a solo century, 90 miles in. He started playing cat and mouse with me. I kept catching up and not wanting to. Finally he asked how far I was riding. I'm 90 miles into my 100. He actually said he should be ashamed of himself just starting and not being able to drop me ha ha ha!

Other guys, a guy named 007Webgod that used to post here. He was 70 pounds lighter than I. We had some good training rides and local forum members back at the old forum. He was much lighter and if we raced up GMR, he could edge me out on the first 8 miles 2300 ft. The total climb, 21 miles with nearly 5000 ft, he might beat me by 2 minutes. We did another training ride to Forest Falls, about 70 miles with 7,000 ft, he failed to complete it. We were back and forth neck and neck when he said UNCLE and dropped out of the ride with the big climb still to come.    When we did a ride called Ride Around the Bear, 100 miles with 10,000 ft, all in the first 62 miles. I got to the top about an hour before he did and I don't know how, but he got credit for completing the ride though taking a ride in a support vehicle. But I still beat him by over 2 hours on the timed event. :D Guys on the ride were flying up the first 20 miles then cracking where as I could hold a steady pace throughout. I finished #123 out of 400 and at 225 pounds, that was good for me. Pretty sure all these guys could beat me on a one or two mile climb. But after that, it gets interesting. 

I have learned not to chase or play games with people out on the road unless they make it too obvious they're being obnoxious and obviously going to fade.  :happyanim: