Ditch the gears and live the simple life

dinneR

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I am encouraged by this post!!!!

I only see a few dozen folks here needing to take your advice and lead a simpler life! 

Folks should post their SS photos here so we can see what they chose. Hopefully its most fixies!

Fixed gear bikes and singlespeeds are different animals. Coasting is a good thing.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Fixed gear bikes seem to be the absolute zenith of stupid, in my very humble opinion.  SS might be ok if you have healthy knees.

And that's what I want in a bike - "ok"!  That's a pretty nice selling point.  "Got good knees? Want something that is ok? Here's my recommendation!"

23 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Fixed gear bikes seem to be the absolute zenith of stupid, in my very humble opinion.  SS might be ok if you have healthy knees.

They were designed for the track where they make a lot of sense.  Bike messengers started using them and then the hipster thing happened…

At least you can change sprockets & chainrings to adjust gear ratios but yeah not sure my knees would be happy going up a hill in a 42X17 or such. 

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

They were designed for the track where they make a lot of sense.  Bike messengers started using them and then the hipster thing happened…

At least you can change sprockets & chainrings to adjust gear ratios but yeah not sure my knees would be happy going up a hill in a 42X17 or such. 

20 year younger knees and hips, sure.  Now, no way!  I will keep what I have left. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Hey now, be nice. I love my fixed gear bikes. I've done centuries on my Milwaukee and love it. It felt natural to me the first time I rode fixed. I like the feeling of having a solid connection with the road. When there's no slack or freewheeling in the drivetrain, the bike becomes an extension of you body. That being said, I don't run brakeless. That's stupid. 

6512.thumb.jpg.e1304b6663f734ff2b1fd62e3adb1029.jpg

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

When I bought my singlespeed, it came with a sprocket that allows the option of fixie or SS.  I tried the fixie option for a while.  I hated it.  

I ride my SS all the time now; much more than my 10S.  But I live where the roads are flat as hell.  If I had a lot of hills to ride, I would not like my SS near as much. 

• Awesome 2

5 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Mine is far from expensive.  Steel frame, cheap wheels.  But a lot of fun to ride.  I never have to worry whether I am in the right gear.  :)

928329708_wo1004half.jpg.42ffd8d5d0ceb3451a5a62300ad4fd51.jpg

I did a 24 hour mtb race on a SS. Velobro told me SS was a great bike for a 24 hour race because you didn't have to worry about which gear to be in at 3:00 am. He was correct.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, denniS said:

I did a 24 hour mtb race on a SS. Velobro told me SS was a great bike for a 24 hour race because you didn't have to worry about which gear to be in at 3:00 am. He was correct.

I was thinking of VB the other day on a ride. I can't remember why, but I remember thinking he would have a very strong opinion on the topic.  Rats. Now I wish I could remember. :scratchhead:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I was thinking of VB the other day on a ride. I can't remember why, but I remember thinking he would have a very strong opinion on the topic.  Rats. Now I wish I could remember. :scratchhead:

Crank arm length, how to cut a cable, how to act in a bike shop?  His rants were epic but the dude had strong opinions on everything! 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I like this tread.

I miss the VB rants.  he was funny.

He ran another cycling forum and did a bunch of stories about bikepacking. Great info and he was so not snobbish. He did a gear section on stuff he had tested and was the bomb. All high-end and pricey. Then he did another on quality gear on a budget. He opened it up to suggestions and great ideas were shared. 

• Heart 2

13 minutes ago, denniS said:

He ran another cycling forum and did a bunch of stories about bikepacking. Great info and he was so not snobbish. He did a gear section on stuff he had tested and was the bomb. All high-end and pricey. Then he did another on quality gear on a budget. He opened it up to suggestions and great ideas were shared. 

And he let that all go when he moved to Slovenia? 

29 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

And he let that all go when he moved to Slovenia? 

He also became a self-righteous douchebag in the last year he was on the LF, too.  Not that that is so horrible on its own, but he was a douchebag to some of the forumites, and not in a fun way.  I liked him before that, though, maybe he relaxed and sold his frankenjeep and can somehow manage to drink a cup of non cat-crap coffee once in a while now, who knows?

9 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

He also became a self-righteous douchebag in the last year he was on the LF, too.  Not that that is so horrible on its own, but he was a douchebag to some of the forumites, and not in a fun way.  I liked him before that, though, maybe he relaxed and sold his frankenjeep and can somehow manage to drink a cup of non cat-crap coffee once in a while now, who knows?

On this other forum, you would think he was a different person. Probably because he was making a living at it instead of just being a contributor.

• Heart 1