Think my body can stave off the illness another 5 hours???

ChrisL

Just now, ChrisL said:

Seems like a cold. No fever nor loss of taste smell but lots of head congestion.  

My wife has had a cold or something for a week.  Since I cannot accuse her of snoring, I will say she has been sleeping VERY LOUDLY (insert sound of trying to kick start a Yamaha YZ 250).  My son has a friend who rolled his Jeep and is without a vehicle right now.  They work at the ranch together so he has been staying with us and sleeping on our couch.  The neighbors behind us leave their pool lights on at night and it makes our sun room very bright at night so I can't sleep on the couch in there.

Last night I slept in the recliner in our room wearing the ear protection I keep in my range bag.

First world problem when you cant sleep on any of your three couches in your living room or sun room.....

Any way, hope your family feels better and you get to ride.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

My wife has had a cold or something for a week.  Since I cannot accuse her of snoring, I will say she has been sleeping VERY LOUDLY (insert sound of trying to kick start a Yamaha YZ 250).  My son has a friend who rolled his Jeep and is without a vehicle right now.  They work at the ranch together so he has been staying with us and sleeping on our couch.  The neighbors behind us leave their pool lights on at night and it makes our sun room very bright at night so I can't sleep on the couch in there.

Last night I slept in the recliner in our room wearing the ear protection I keep in my range bag.

First world problem when you cant sleep on any of your three couches in your living room or sun room.....

You can crash on my couch. It's kind of short and the commute would suck. The upstairs neighbor has a pet pony so it can be a little annoying.

IMG_20210523_091200780.jpg

• Heart 3

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Oh shit yeah she’ll be sawing big logs tonight! My wife really only snores when sick/congested so I’m sure it’s coming… I have a spare room & a quiet dark living room though. 

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My son has been sick the past few days and this morning my wife woke up with the same symptoms.

So far I’m good and am riding with my friend tonight. Medical issues & illnesses have put a halt to our Thursday after work rides the past 6 weeks. I just want to ride tonight, I can get sick again tomorrow…

You've got this!

• Heart 1

Just now, Longjohn said:

WTH? It’s a Jeep, roll it back over and be on your way.  I don’t know about this younger generation?

It was a rust bucket 4 door Cherokee.  It has expanding foam squirted in rusty areas.  He fell asleep at the wheel and rolled it three times at highway speed.  It is a goner.  He is lucky to be up and walking.  

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I might get a test if everybody in your orbit seems sick when delta is spreading like it is prom season.

Yeah I know it makes sense and a good precaution but… My sons GF doesn’t seem to have it, my daughter & SIL don’t either & we have spent a lot of time together. Just my son & wife at this point. 

It just doesn’t seem like Covid. No fever, no body ache, no loss of smell/taste.  Just head congestion. 

15 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I might get a test if everybody in your orbit seems sick when delta is spreading like it is prom season.

I don’t know why you would need a test as long as you kept your mask on while on the forum. Transmission of Covid is pretty low over the internet. But if it makes you feel better get tested.

• Haha 2

Get a test. We had a little something run through the Fair admin office at the end of the fair. Receptionist was hospitalized with Covid. She is home now and recovering. 
One I work closely with got severe flu symptoms. Had to go to the ER. They gave her a saline IV and sent her home. 

A couple others are home resting. 1 already had Covid and is vaccinated. They think just exhaustion. 

It’s been 10 days since it showed up there and I am still feeling ok. My eyes are very itchy so I’m betting my sniffles are allergies. Still masking up at clients this week. 

33 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I bought groceries yesterday and noticed a lot of people wearing masks again. They must watch the news. Nobody in my area has been wearing masks anywhere but the doctor’s offices and the hospitals. I don’t watch tv, get a newspaper, or listen to the radio so I get my news here on the forum.  :D

Yeah, went to the eye doctor for my annual check-up and had to wear a mask.  Those fog things up, though, so it becomes a bit of a challenge if the eye machine fogs too.  That's about the only place I have been that asked vaccinated folks to wear masks.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I bought groceries yesterday and noticed a lot of people wearing masks again. They must watch the news. Nobody in my area has been wearing masks anywhere but the doctor’s offices and the hospitals. I don’t watch tv, get a newspaper, or listen to the radio so I get my news here on the forum.  :D

The forum is excellent for breaking news. :D  Most times I have heard things here first. :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Yeah, that change shifted back here, too, although there was no big proclamation about it that I saw.  Delta was butt-raping its way through the south and gaining steam, so people just started wearing them indoors again here to do what a decent person would do, at least that is what it seemed like.  I wear mine in stores again, I'd hate to get someone sick by being a selfish bastard.

I'd get tested. It's quick, easy, and free. We have free take home or walk up tests here. Masks are required indoors. Tourists don't think the rules apply to them which makes it fun.

I had a co-worker who thought she had allergies. She got tested, kept coming to work, tested positive. Didn't bother telling any of us she had exposed us. Also fun.

Do people do annual cancer screenings because they feel like they have cancer? I get them because of my family history. When I receive good results, I feel better about getting the test. 

39 minutes ago, denniS said:

Do people do annual cancer screenings because they feel like they have cancer? I get them because of my family history. When I receive good results, I feel better about getting the test. 

How do they do cancer screenings? What types of cancer can they detect?

I'm getting cat scans later this month to see how well the chemo worked but I would hardly think you get those every year. I also get a lot of X-rays. Again not something I would think you would want to do yearly. I had lumps on my neck for two years and the doctors just told me I had swollen glands. Finally I went to a throat doctor and she cut them out and had them tested. Found out they were lymphomas.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

How do they do cancer screenings? What types of cancer can they detect?

I'm getting cat scans later this month to see how well the chemo worked but I would hardly think you get those every year. I also get a lot of X-rays. Again not something I would think you would want to do yearly. I had lumps on my neck for two years and the doctors just told me I had swollen glands. Finally I went to a throat doctor and she cut them out and had them tested. Found out they were lymphomas.

I do the prostate exam since my father had it twice. It's a DRI and blood test. Not fun, but quick and easy and covered by insurance. Colonoscopy is another. There are other screenings for men and women. It's not perfect, but it can catch some things early. 

19 minutes ago, denniS said:

I do the prostate exam since my father had it twice. It's a DRI and blood test. Not fun, but quick and easy and covered by insurance. Colonoscopy is another. There are other screenings for men and women. It's not perfect, but it can catch some things early. 

I knew someone who died in her 50s from colon cancer. That seems largely preventable to me. 

Update: My son went & got tested & he’s negative. 

It is an interesting dilemma though. At what point is a cold just a cold? Should we get tested every time we get the sniffles? Is a self assessment of symptoms no longer a good idea?

I get that it doesn’t hurt to go get tested but it really just confirmed what we all figured. He has a cold.

Oh an I’m still good! 

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

It is an interesting dilemma though. At what point is a cold just a cold? Should we get tested every time we get the sniffles? Is a self assessment of symptoms no longer a good idea?

I get that it doesn’t hurt to go get tested but it really just confirmed what we all figured. He has a cold.

Oh an I’m still good! 

Given that tests are quick and easy and it is a pandemic that is overwhelming hospitals, getting tested seems pretty harmless. Hospitals in ID are now rationing care. They have run out of ICU beds. You get to live, you get to suffer.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, denniS said:

Given that tests are quick and easy and it is a pandemic that is overwhelming hospitals, getting tested seems pretty harmless. Hospitals in ID are now rationing care. They have run out of ICU beds. You get to live, you get to suffer.

Yeah I get it.  Just the times we live in I guess…  Two years ago he would have just come to work and sneezed on everyone! 

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah I get it.  Just the times we live in I guess…  Two years ago he would have just come to work and sneezed on everyone! 

I think that's one of the things we've learned. Pre-pandemic, we had a mgr come to work sick. Sneezed on her office mates. All got sick and called out. Mgr got pissed three people were missing from work. They were like, you got us sick. One had a kid that got sick and missed school so she had to stay home for even longer. 

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Oh an I’m still good! 

I just had a similar circumstance.  Allergy symptoms of post nasal drip which last time was diagnosed as allergies, but I got tested just to make sure I didn’t have it to spread around. It is annoying but the downside is so big the word has always been use an abundance of caution.   

• Heart 1

18 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

They tell me that at the age of 75 I don't need any more colonoscopies.  The odds seem to be that I'll die before anything they detect down there kills me and the danger of a perforation is worse.

My PCP wanted me to get a colonoscopy, made the appointment for the pre-test visit. While I was registering at the front desk the surgeon came out and told me he was just going to call me and tell me not to come. He talked to my cardiologist and found out I’m on Brilinta. Can’t do a colonoscopy while someone is on Brilinta and can’t stop taking it for one year after getting a stent.

I just had my yearly visit with my urologist. She ordered a blood test and did a digital exam.

My dad and my father in law both died of prostate cancer. My dad was healthy and athletic into his 80s. He got diagnosed with prostate cancer at 83. His urologist treated him with radiation and told him he had nothing to worry about. He died within the year after he had turned into nothing but skin and bones. I don’t want to die like that.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

My PCP wanted me to get a colonoscopy, made the appointment for the pre-test visit. While I was registering at the front desk the surgeon came out and told me he was just going to call me and tell me not to come. He talked to my cardiologist and found out I’m on Brilinta. Can’t do a colonoscopy while someone is on Brilinta and can’t stop taking it for one year after getting a stent.

I just had my yearly visit with my urologist. She ordered a blood test and did a digital exam.

That digital exam is much nicer than the old andalog one.

• Haha 1