Next Project Bike !

Zipp2001

8 hours ago, Kzoo said:

My backup bike is a black KM40.  Daughter#3 uses it as her road bike.  AND I have an extra set of Specialized tri-spoke wheels for it - hey sound sweet. My bike has some history.  The original owner won the US triathlon championship on it and placed 5th at Kona - before the started calling it the Iron Man .

If you ever feel some crazy urge to sell that extra set of tri-spokes let me know. I'd be very interested if they are 650C.

• Heart 2

7 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Why this frame? 

When this frame design first came out my former riding partner bought one. He let me try it out and I just loved the ride, but I was already moving in a different direction with cycling. But I always kept that bike in the back of my mind. When I was almost done  transforming my Zipp2001 bike into a carbon belt drive single speed I wanted a new project. That's when the KM40 came back up and the search began. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

On 9/11/2021 at 9:58 PM, Zipp2001 said:

I found this Kestrel KM40 at an antique sale and swap meet earlier this year. I hade been looking out for one of these for about 6 month on different selling sites. Didn't find any that I saw worth the price. Then I go to the meet and what's the first bike I see, yup this KM40. After a look I knew I was going to buy it but didn't want to seem to eager. Spent time going around the meet and then final come back and work out a price for the bike.

So what's a fair price for that sort of thing???

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

So what's a fair price for that sort of thing???

As I tell people it's only worth what someone is willing to pay. So I got it for $850.00 USD, with a few things thrown in. He was asking $1100.00 but I wasn't  going that high and was willing to walk away if he didn't except my offer.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I'm no expert in much of anything, but the physics of that design scares me.  Why does that not collapse when hitting even the smallest of bumps?

No expert either but know some people who have had them forever no issues. When I got to use one back when they came out it did seem to absorb road shock quite well. 

1 minute ago, Zipp2001 said:

As I tell people it's only worth what someone is willing to pay. So I got it for $850.00 USD, with a few things thrown in. He was asking $1100.00 but I wasn't  going that high and was willing to walk away if he didn't except my offer.

I bought mine in 2010 for $800.  It included the extra set of tri- spoke wheels and new Speedplay pedals and cleats

• Heart 1