Your favorite pro rider, and why?

Dirtyhip

22 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I don’t know that I have an absolute favorite but I really have a lot of respect for riders like Pauline Ferrand Prevot, Jolanda Neff or Matthieu VDP who can win at the highest levels in multiple disciplines. 

I also like Ted King, mainly from his videos. 

With cross coming as road cycling wraps up, I gotta say the MVDP and Wout van Aert races are a blast, and on the women's side, I was loving Lucinda Brand but also some of the other ladies in the fight. 

Road wise, I like the US men who are showing up and stirring things up, and someone like Lachlan Morton is a hoot.  So, I like the racing of the sprinters or the big climbs, but it is less about the individual GC guys or the relative fleeting sprinters, and more about some of the other stories out there.

• Heart 1

I haven't kept up with a lot of recent names, but it's almost impossible not to hear and remember the name Tadej Pogacar.  His last name, "Po-GAH-char" sounds like a polish food dish.

Any young guy who's making so much from riding a bike that he's living in comfort in beautiful Monaco (I was there in 1998 on a day trip while spending a week in Cannes) with his girlfriend much be doing things right.

For the women's pro teams, Elisa Longo Borghini.  After her, Lizzie Deignan and Lauretta Hanson 

for the men, Vicenzo Nibali, Guilio Ciccone, Juan Pedro Lopez, Mads Pedersen.  Ciccone and Lopez , after Vuelta Espana, should be the up and coming riders for Trek-Segefredo.

Historically, it was Greg Lemond.

I've always liked Cavendish, even though he can be reckless in the sprints sometimes.  But even the riders on other teams seem to like him which makes me think he  can't be too much of a jerk in real life (notwithstanding his temper tantrum about the bike recently).  I've always liked how he seems to express every emotion he has and it was nice to see him have good luck at the tour after so many medical and other issues.

I also like Paolo Salvadelli.  Given the team he rode for, I have no illusions, but his 2005 Giro win was the first pro race where I really got excited about a race. and the tactics of racing.

• Heart 1