Jump to content

So I encountered my first e-bike rider today


Philander Seabury
 Share

Recommended Posts



I rode in a county wilderness area today and during the ride  there was a lady on a horse coming the other direction. I slowed to a crawl and was about to ask if it was cool to pass when I heard the crunch of tires on dirt of someone coming hot and some yahoo in an e MTB shoots the gap between me & the horse doing well over 20 MPH. 

The horse didn’t flinch but the rider was hot. I apologized and she said don’t sweat it, the e MTB riders are a menace out here…

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

A wrong way rider, and he zips around rhis turn so the whole thing just looked incredibly wrong and dangerous to me.  This is snot good for us regular riders to have morans doing things like this. 

First of the day, first of that ride, or first ever????

I think I saw maybe 20 ebikes on a ride yesterday.  A half dozen or more fat bikes (I call them motorcycles), but many more "hybrid" types.  I can't remember the last ride I didn't see ebikes.

I think non-pedelec should be banned outright from everywhere except roads. No more throttle bikes or ones that can run without pedaling effort from the rider.

37 minutes ago, Dottles said:

True e-bike riders use them only to go faster on the roads and use them for hill busters.  Bozo's doing brodies and other crap should be sent to jail.

BWAHAHAHAHA

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

some yahoo in an e MTB shoots the gap between me & the horse doing well over 20 MPH. 

@Dottles?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I rode in a county wilderness area today and during the ride  there was a lady on a horse coming the other direction. I slowed to a crawl and was about to ask if it was cool to pass when I heard the crunch of tires on dirt of someone coming hot and some yahoo in an e MTB shoots the gap between me & the horse doing well over 20 MPH. 

The horse didn’t flinch but the rider was hot. I apologized and she said don’t sweat it, the e MTB riders are a menace out here…

A kick in the face from a horse might be an educational experience for him 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

First of the day, first of that ride, or first ever????

I think I saw maybe 20 ebikes on a ride yesterday.  A half dozen or more fat bikes (I call them motorcycles), but many more "hybrid" types.  I can't remember the last ride I didn't see ebikes.

I think non-pedelec should be banned outright from everywhere except roads. No more throttle bikes or ones that can run without pedaling effort from the rider.

BWAHAHAHAHA

@Dottles?

Not me. I play nice. But if I knew it were you, I’d shoot the gaps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m surprised I don’t see more the way the shops say they are selling. There is one lady riding one that we meet on our Thursday ride. She’s pedaling and going fast. Can’t miss the motor sound, though. There were a couple guys who were treating them more like scooters on the trail. Someone somehow must be enforcing the no motorized vehicles on the trails, because I haven’t seen them for a while. There are still a bunch I see in driveways when I drive by. I just don’t know when or how they are using them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First?!?!?! Lucky you!

Gotten to the point that when I ride the trail, I see 3 e-bikes for every 1 actual pedal bike I see.

Have had women and children blow by me at 30 MPH.  Some with very lacking handling skills. Some lady buzzed me as I leaned over to get my water bottle. No warning or I would have waited to reach. Buzzed me and had 2 riders drafting her. Pretty stupid as she could have lead them into disaster. Then there is the one guy with a diesel headlight and aerobars trying to race everyone on the trail, really!? 

Already seen a few women laid out on the bike trail and along the sand beach trail after crashing at good speeds without a helmet. I thought roadies were jerks doing 15 on the trail along the sand but the e-bikes are doing 25 with little kids around. Terrible!

Don't see too many out the actual road though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

First?!?!?! Lucky you!

Gotten to the point that when I ride the trail, I see 3 e-bikes for every 1 actual pedal bike I see.

Have had women and children blow by me at 30 MPH.  Some with very lacking handling skills. Some lady buzzed me as I leaned over to get my water bottle. No warning or I would have waited to reach. Buzzed me and had 2 riders drafting her. Pretty stupid as she could have lead them into disaster. Then there is the one guy with a diesel headlight and aerobars trying to race everyone on the trail, really!? 

Already seen a few women laid out on the bike trail and along the sand beach trail after crashing at good speeds without a helmet. I thought roadies were jerks doing 15 on the trail along the sand but the e-bikes are doing 25 with little kids around. Terrible!

Don't see too many out the actual road though. 

We seem to be on opposite ends of the spectrum.  We have some roadies but they almost always ride in groups and amazingly I have never encountered a group on the road while on the bike, only in the car.  And I encounter very few single riders on the roads.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

We seem to be on opposite ends of the spectrum.  We have some roadies but they almost always ride in groups and amazingly I have never encountered a group on the road while on the bike, only in the car.  And I encounter very few single riders on the roads.

Wow! If I ride on the trail, I might see 200 other riders. Some in groups of 2, sometimes 20. On the roads further inland where we live, a good bike friendly area, I might see 5 groups of 15 and 10 other solo riders on any given day.  That's while riding my bike. :D

Lots of riders out here. Heck, our Strava segments have 15,000 -18,000 riders and the all the KOM's held by professional grand tour riders. B)

Some of the flatter segments on Strava are now owned by e-bike riders. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Mr Beanz said:

Some of the flatter segments on Strava are now owned by e-bike riders. 

Yeah - that's BS!  Not sure how you discern if it is a TT bike, a group ride working together, a monster tailwind, drafting a car/moto, or an e-bike.  Very annoying :(

14 hours ago, Mr Beanz said:

Lots of riders out here. Heck, our Strava segments have 15,000 -18,000 riders and the all the KOM's held by professional grand tour riders. 

Yep - when a segment has a lot of folks I tend to see it is usually the group or TT folks who own them out my way.  The bigger climbs, at least, will be more the "roadies" than the TT folks, so that's nice.  But unlike your area, that means we drop from 20k folks to 2k folks chasing those segment & sorts of climbs and no Pros anywhere.  And, I might actually know and/or ride with those folks on occasion.  Gotta get a little west/southwest to find the few pros we have in the area.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - that's BS!  Not sure how you discern if it is a TT bike, a group ride working together, a monster tailwind, drafting a car/moto, or an e-bike.  Very annoying :(

Yep - when a segment has a lot of folks I tend to see it is usually the group or TT folks who own them out my way.  The bigger climbs, at least, will be more the "roadies" than the TT folks, so that's nice.  But unlike your area, that means we drop from 20k folks to 2k folks chasing those segment & sorts of climbs and no Pros anywhere.  And, I might actually know and/or ride with those folks on occasion.  Gotta get a little west/southwest to find the few pros we have in the area.

Are you still in California? I think you are back East, no? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...