Airehead asked for pictures.

Digital_photog

2 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

Amazing pictures! Looks like a great time

Thanks, Reenactments are a lot of work but I think well worth it.  First 2 days were school days for forth and fifth grade kids then 2 days for the public.  Great way to teach history and make it interesting. I encourage everyone to look for living history events in your area and either visit or take part. 

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

These are very worthwhile teachers of history. 

I had no idea cameras worked so well back then! 

Some visitors from the future were carrying some strange devices in their hands.  Some of them even had those devices stuck to their faces.  It seems like people in the future have a strange mutation in there genes that causes them to never be separated from these devices they called phones. It was strange that when we got home we found that they had many images of us.  It feels like they stole our souls.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

I love reenactors.  Civil War reenactor groups are big in the PA-MD-VA areas.

My sister wanted her husband and I to become Civil War reenactors - she didn't care which side.  They all wear authentic wool uniforms, etc.

We went to the 130th anniversary of Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg in 1993, held at a huge field several miles from the battlefield.

Over 5000 reenactors participated. They had batteries of cannons going off with the ground shaking, etc. and it was a thrill.

But it was sunny and in the mid 90's and those wool uniforms took their toll.  They carted 28 collapsed reenactors away to hospitals and treated many more.

We had to wait hours in the heat before our cars could leave the parking lot at the end because of medical vehicles entering and exiting the grounds and the drivers of some cars having to lie down at some shady spot.

BiL and I decided not to be reenactors.

Went back to tear down camp today.  Found out that the school kids voted our fiber arts program the best liked of all the 11 stations they visited. In our 20 minutes we had with each group we touched on cotton and linen cloth production but mainly covered wool. From shearing the sheep, washing, carding or combing, spinning, knitting and weaving.  Also covered natural dying. Kids also got to do some hands on carding. A nice honor to have the 4th and 5th grade kids and their teachers vote is as their favorite. We have already been told they want this program again next year. Our goal is to make history interesting, not something to sleep through in the classroom.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

Went back to tear down camp today.  Found out that the school kids voted our fiber arts program the best liked of all the 11 stations they visited. In our 20 minutes we had with each group we touched on cotton and linen cloth production but mainly covered wool. From shearing the sheep, washing, carding or combing, spinning, knitting and weaving.  Also covered natural dying. Kids also got to do some hands on carding. A nice honor to have the 4th and 5th grade kids and their teachers vote is as their favorite. We have already been told they want this program again next year. Our goal is to make history interesting, not something to sleep through in the classroom.

Congrats!  Thanks for taking the time to keep the past alive.