So NJ has a no idling law and yet…(also lanternflies!)

Ralphie
Go to solution Solved by Ralphie,

28 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I am sitting in the car oot side a doctors office and the lady next to me has been running her SUV for the last half hour or so, and I think I am starting to die. If I had a spud it would go into her tailpipe!

Why do you hate 'merica?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Why do you hate 'merica?

She left!  Now I am sitting outside on a shady bench battling lanternflies. I found that you have to step on them from directly behind.  But you still have to be very quick or they will hop away. Any other angle and they will hop away instantly. I think they have the upper hand though. I just read a news story where one was found mounted on an Iowa student’s science project, and up until then they didn’t think they were west of pa. :(  They are a very destructive invasive species.  They keep landing on me. They might be on to the fact that I try to kill every one I see. Alfred Hitchcock would have a field day if he were still alive!

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

She left!  Now I am sitting outside on a shady bench battling lantern flies. I found that you have to step on them from directly behind.  Any other angle and they will hop away. I think they have the upper hand though. I just read a news story where one was found mounted on an Iowa students science project, and up until then they didn’t think they were west of pa. :(  They are a very destructive invasive species.  They keep landing on me. They might be on to the fact that I try to kill every one I see. 

They say take a pic and sent it to the authorities as they are trying to track location and numbers.  Once you take a pic feel free to murder everyone of the things you see.

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

They say take a pic and sent it to the authorities as they are trying to track location and numbers.  Once you take a pic feel free to murder everyone of the things you see.

They are well known here. And we have a very vigorous wine industry that has to be in danger. I have already seen vines totally covered in mesh. But most aren’t.

And I may have been hasty with my smoosh them from behind theory. I have gotten some from other angles including head on. The key is quickness. 

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I want to do this to people w/ loud Harleys.

An idle law? WTF kind of law is that? :scratchhead:

I hate Harleys in general, and loud anything even worse.  This brings me to idling laws, which are needed in loud cities like NYC.  At my last apartment, restaurant and wholesale food delivery trucks would idle just outside the window with really loud compressors going full blast, no covers on them, of course.  It sucked, and they would often stay there for 20 minutes just drowning out conversations or the tv or whatever the whole time.  The city never enforced those laws.  They are wasteful as hell, which I don't care about so much, but it is another pollution source and the noise pollution is terrible.

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Potatoes are Irish.  It is clear that he hates more than America.

Actually, potatoes are not Irish. They are South American. The Spanish brought them to back to the European continent in the 1500s. This means he hates South Americans too...

• Haha 1

Along with idling laws, we need to teach lanternflies to devour Fast food and coffee drive thrus!  HUGE waste of time and fuel!  Get out of your car and WALK a few feet, burn of 1/1000% of that Big Mac!

Lanternflies have one good jump in them, then it takes time for them to reload.  Swing at them, make them jump, then squish 'em while they can't move as quick.  I also found they are easy to hit first time with a chainsaw.  Maybe the noise freezes them.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Allen said:

Carolina squat trucks with rubber band tires

For those in the north (including me)....   Carolina squat truck =   

image.png.de9122fdb33e81edda12a055e41eb1cc.png

(at least that's what Google tells me, so it must be true)

Why would anyone do this????  Spending soooo much money to do this?    I guess I'm older than I thought. 

• Heart 1

21 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

She left!  Now I am sitting outside on a shady bench battling lanternflies. I found that you have to step on them from directly behind.  But you still have to be very quick or they will hop away. Any other angle and they will hop away instantly. I think they have the upper hand though. I just read a news story where one was found mounted on an Iowa student’s science project, and up until then they didn’t think they were west of pa. :(  They are a very destructive invasive species.  They keep landing on me. They might be on to the fact that I try to kill every one I see. Alfred Hitchcock would have a field day if he were still alive!

Lanternflies been reported in MD along the MD-PA border, they have supposedly decimated PA's wine grape crops and my cousin north of Philadelphia says they've got them.

Walking Jake on a woodsy trail, I met with an entomologist who was studying oakworms and he informed me of lanternflies, for which he was on the lookout in Central Maryland.  He predicted they're going to become a huge problem.

22 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

the lady next to me has been running her SUV for the last half hour or so,

WoBG and I walk our dogs every day.  We see this EVERY day...   :facepalm:

We walk on the Ottawa River trail (soon I'll be there) and people will drive and park there, in the winter or summer, with their windows up and the heat or A/C (which ever is needed) on for 30 to 40 minutes.  Then they leave.  WoBG asks... Why do they do that?   I tell her... The person can tell everyone I was at the river trail for 40 minutes today.  

4 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

WoBG and I walk our dogs every day.  We see this EVERY day...   :facepalm:

We walk on the Ottawa River trail (soon I'll be there) and people will drive and park there, in the winter or summer, with their windows up and the heat or A/C (which ever is needed) on for 30 to 40 minutes.  Then they leave.  WoBG asks... Why do they do that?   I tell her... The person can tell everyone I was at the river trail for 40 minutes today.  

I just saw that at the park yesterday!  Deserted because it was pretty darn hot, but two SUVs pull up and no one gets oot! There are a couple of benches in the shade they could have chilled at. Who goes to the park to sit in their vehicle? :wacko: