Four day work week

dinneR

No! I did it for a few years. Nice to have Fridays off but they were always asking us to work OT on Friday. Then you have four 10 hour days and an 8 hour day. 

I'd rather work 5 eights then have the weekend off. Seems they could never get their act together working the 4 ten hour shifts.

If it was guaranteed no Fridays, yup! But that doesn't happen.

3 minutes ago, denniS said:

If you were given the option, would you choose to work four 10 hour days instead of five 8 hour days?

Probably.  It's pretty common out here in VA.   Lots of Feds have those sorts of schedules. I don't know that I couldn't adapt to that, but never been offered an opportunity.

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Probably.  It's pretty common out here in VA.   Lots of Feds have those sorts of schedules. I don't know that I couldn't adapt to that, but never been offered an opportunity.

If given the option would you prefer Mon or Fri off? Or maybe a break in the middle like Wed???

Actually I wouldn’t mind a mid week break plus my weekend. 

13 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

No! I did it for a few years. Nice to have Fridays off but they were always asking us to work OT on Friday. Then you have four 10 hour days and an 8 hour day. 

I'd rather work 5 eights then have the weekend off. Seems they could never get their act together working the 4 ten hour shifts.

If it was guaranteed no Fridays, yup! But that doesn't happen.

That's not really 4/10s though. That's 4/10s and an 8=48hrs/week.

yep

At a past job I worked a 2 2 3 schedule   Work 2 off 2 work 3 off 2 work 2 off 3. So you worked every other weekend, but your weekend off was a 3 day weekend, and you always had 2 days off in the week. They were 12 hour days though. I liked it, 2 vacation days would get you 7 days off. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

If given the option would you prefer Mon or Fri off? Or maybe a break in the middle like Wed???

Actually I wouldn’t mind a mid week break plus my weekend. 

They told us it might not be a 3 day weekend so it could be mid-week break. 

I'm trying to find a downside. I don't see one yet.

1 minute ago, denniS said:

They told us it might not be a 3 day weekend so it could be mid-week break. 

I'm trying to find a downside. I don't see one yet.

For about 5 years I worked shift work with Sun & Mon off.  I liked having an off day during the work week.    Stores are less busy and the trails would be wide open with most people at work.  I’d think it even better on a Tue - Thur as a lot of folks extend the weekend. 

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

For about 5 years I worked shift work with Sun & Mon off.  I liked having an off day during the work week.    Stores are less busy and the trails would be wide open with most people at work.  I’d think it even better on a Tue - Thur as a lot of folks extend the weekend. 

I've done that too, but my GF works M-F so it screwed up our weekends together.

I used to work in the nursery industry and the boat industry.  Lots of weekend hours.  Seldom a weekend off except in the winter.  I liked having weekdays off to shop, go see a movie, whatever.  Less crowds than on weekends.  About half my days off when I worked at the boat rental i would end up at the lake, take a date out on a boat, go jet skiiing or windsurfing.

12 minutes ago, denniS said:

I've done that too, but my GF works M-F so it screwed up our weekends together.

It worked OK with my wife & I.  I got off work Sunday morning (worked grave shift)and just stayed up all day so we had one full day together.  I also had 1/2 of Sat with her as well before needing to get some rest. 

12 minutes ago, denniS said:

That's some Texican math right there. 

I rounded up.  50/4 =12.5 

I never leave on time, even when I have to leave on time.

CEO / Boss is single and likes to work late.  No wife or kids or pets to go home to.  He also likes to come in late, which I don't.  So in at 8 out at 6 and I usually do some work from home before I head to office and check emails and such as needed in the evenings.

1 hour ago, denniS said:

That's not really 4/10s though. That's 4/10s and an 8=48hrs/week.

Well that's what I'm talking about. We were according to our contract, doing four 10 hour shifts but because the schedule is usually different from the suppliers and customers, we had to work the fifth day anyway to accommodate them.

It was  a four 10, just always had to do OT because of it.

16 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

When I was in the US Air Force there was a period when I got to work six 10-hour shifts a week with the occasional weekend duty thrown in. It was not optional, 

We had 4 platoons in my MP Company each had security & LE for a different post in the DC area. Each squad (4 squads) would work a shift with one squad in reserve.

There was a period of time when my platoon got really short staffed and we couldn’t staff a shift.  So we went from 4 squads to 2 and worked 12 hour shifts with no days off for about 6 weeks.  

Good times…

• Heart 1

If I had such a structured work process then, yes? As of now I am usually in the "office" logged into my computer by 7:15 or so. I walk away about 3-3:30 though answer emails and join meetings as late as 5pm. 

We have a very flexible schedule that I am taking full advantage of. I probably only actually "work" 30 something hours a week but their packed with efficiency; I don't fuck off while on the work computer (says the guy typing this on his work computer :whistle:).

But my home servers, personal computer is in the office as well so when I'm playing on those I also have the work computer booted up too. Tinkering is tinkering to me so work is as fun as tweaking the structure of my VM's for personal use.

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

We had 4 platoons in my MP Company each had security & LE for a different post in the DC area. Each squad (4 squads) would work a shift with one squad in reserve.

There was a period of time when my platoon got really short staffed and we couldn’t staff a shift.  So we went from 4 squads to 2 and worked 12 hour shifts with no days off for about 6 weeks.  

Good times…

After Pratt laid me off I went to work at a steel rolling mill.  12 hours 7 days a week was mandatory for 20 days and then you got one off.  The union agreed to it because the mill ran on payroll bonus money for the amount of product turned out and the workers bonus money was about twice as much of their pay.  It was the most dangerous place I've ever worked as we used to have to work on running machinery because no one wanted to shut it down for any length of time at all.  Tired workers, dangerous machines, what could go wrong.

I do have that option but haven't taken it....partially because in cycling seasons I want to jump onto bike while there's still some light after work for a nice ride. I've had that work option for past 8 yrs. or so but haven't taken it yet.

I work a slightly longer shift every day and get every 3rd Fri. off., it's been like this for past 11 yrs.

I would swap the five-eights for four-tens. I did it once long ago; but my day off was Wednesday. I didn’t like breaking up the week like that so I went back to five-eights. Right now I’m working 8-4:30 five days a week and wouldn’t mind if a three day weekend was created. Where I work is losing workers right and left. Mostly because they aren’t flexible on the remote work idea that was used very well for 18 months. Management is meeting next week to discuss. We’ll see what changes come out of it. 

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, denniS said:

Ok, so I am talking about an actual 40 hour work week. 5/8s vs 4/10s. no overtime.

If you are 'done' working in 10 hours,  then yes.

If it was like my schedule no.

My schedule was more like @jsharr's, and that didn't include drive time.   More often than not, each day I'd work 1 or 2 hours over. (not paid) and sometimes WoBG would call and ask did I forget where I live, and then I'd realized I was even later than 'normal'.  So I'd eventually get home, and then I'd be reading email or work in reports, etc.. for a while there.     Except for Fridays...

One thing I did, was to have a reoccurring meeting in my calendar every Friday from 1:00 PM to 5:00PM.  (our 'normal quitting time was 4:30 PM)   That way I actually could possibly get home on time. Then WoBG and would go out on our Friday night date.   This worked most of the time...   Once in a while, there would be some f'n meeting 2 hours from home that I 'had' to attend.

Yeah retirement is nice. 

• Awesome 1

4-10s came up at the spring factory but it was in our contract that any thing over 8 hours was time and a half but a lot of the people didn't want to give that up. We still would have been paid time and a half but it would have been after 40 hours. 

• Heart 1

On 9/14/2021 at 4:00 PM, Mr Beanz said:

If it was guaranteed no Fridays, yup! But that doesn't happen

My wife had a doctors excuse for no overtime and the 4 tens worked out very well for her. The co-workers that were healthy not so much. My wife liked it because it eliminated the long drive back and forth to work one day a week. She didn’t take long weekends. She took Wednesday off to break up the week so she only had to work two days in a row.

• Heart 2

27 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I don't think so. 10 hours is a long day. I remember the years when I worked 10 hours for 5 days, and some on Saturday.

You wouldn't actually work for those extra two hours per day.  Just maybe move your Friday posting here to be spread evenly from Mon-Thurs instead!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, denniS said:

They surveyed staff. I said I was interested in the 4/10 schedule. The extra day off could be mid-week.

In our organization, our employer only allows Mondays or Fridays off, if one takes the 4 day wk. option.  We have over 12,000 employees, not all of them are eligible for this..but probably at least 9,000 are.  It becomes challenging trying to schedule meetings and corporate training across multiple business units. And if we allowed day off mid-wk. in a 4 day work week, it would create more corporate problems and work scheduling.

At least one knows NOT to schedule corporate-wide training or meetings on Mondays or Fridays (for the work team where I belong, we have different  monthly meetings that require attendance of representatives from 40 different business units across entire organization). Need to keep in mind, that type of corporate wide employee probability of "absences", when planning larger meetings or meetings involving critical stakeholders.  If you want to increase probability of higher meeting/training attendance.

I got a meeting like that ...today and an item on the agenda in corporate-wide restructuring which impacting 40% of us and our systems.

I'm salary and work from home so I work whenever I want.  Just as long as I get the job done.  So, for instance, I'm drinking a cup of coffee in my pajamas right now and I'm going to go out and have a cup of coffee at a coffee shop on the bay.  And then driving home, I'll probably get some coffee and about 7:00 p.m. I'll sit down in front of my computer and play a video game until about 9 p.m. before my wife shows up from visiting her mom with an iced coffee.  Then I'll work diligently (vigilantly?) for 5 hours in burst mode and then -- well shoot -- tomorrow is Friday so I'll probably work half a day or evening -- and do some odds and ends for the job over the weekend.  The net result is over 40 hours of work for the week and no delineation between work life and my leisure life.  But I get to do whatever I want -- including drinking copious amounts of caffeine down by the bay and watch Football on Sunday.  So there's that.