Final Jeopardy for 9/14

Road Runner

Category:  Scientific Etymology

2 of the 3 men for whom armalcolite, a dark gray mineral discovered in 1969, is named

Spoiler

Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins

While it was later found in locations on Earth, Armalcolite was first discovered in the Sea of Tranquility in July 1969 on the Apollo 11 mission, manned by Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins. Armalcolite was later named after the three of them.

Just now, Road Runner said:

1969 is the clue.

Well, part of it.  The clue was: "Scientific Etymology - 2 of the 3 men for whom armalcolite, a dark gray mineral discovered in 1969, is named"

I thought maybe Armand Hammer owned a mine, but the next bit didn't work.

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

1969 was famous for a huge event in the history of mankind.  Of course, I am old enough to remember it vividly.   :)

I glossed over the 1969. :facepalm:  The a after arm threw me. I was thinking it couldn’t be Armstrong, then my wife said oh yeah, the moon. With a few more seconds I might have gotten aldrin, but Collins was snot on my radar. 

• Heart 1

On July 20, 1969, I was sitting in front of my parents TV with an audio tape recorder, intent on recording the proceedings and Walter Cronkite's reporting of them.  We had no video recorders back then, so I wanted my own audio recording of the event.  Somewhere along the way of life, I lost the tape.  It would be fun to listen to today.  :)

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

On July 20, 1969, I was sitting in front of my parents TV with an audio tape recorder, intent on recording the proceedings and Walter Cronkite's reporting of them.  We had no video recorders back then, so I wanted my own recording of the event.  Somewhere along the way of life, I lost the tape.  It would be fun to listen to today.  :)

I would have been a 3 week old embryo!!! My mom wouldn't have even know she was pregnant yet!  Or maybe I was a few weeks early and I am a MOON LANDING BABY!!!!

52 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

On July 20, 1969, I was sitting in front of my parents TV with an audio tape recorder, intent on recording the proceedings and Walter Cronkite's reporting of them.  We had no video recorders back then, so I wanted my own audio recording of the event.  Somewhere along the way of life, I lost the tape.  It would be fun to listen to today.  :)

I was just a few days shy of 14 yo.  I vividly remember sitting in front of the TV watching.  It was jut me and the rest of the world.

51 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I would have been a 3 week old embryo!!!

Hell...l I'm old enough to remember the JFK assentation.    And WoBG and I made it a required vacation stop to walk on the grassy knoll and see the 6th floor of the book depository.

The 1969 clue didn't help me... (yeah I know... ) I was thinking who were the scientists that discovered some obscure element that only exists in a lab for 3 seconds or less.