Gomer Pyle

Road Runner
Go to solution Solved by Randomguy,

Even though it was a spin-off of one of the greatest shows ever, it truly sucked.  300 episodes or so of the same shtick.  Make fun of a backwoods, uneducated schmo for 25 minutes and then end the show with his naivete somehow saving the day for everyone involved.  A totally unbelievable premise repeated over and over and over again.  :(  

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Solution
11 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Even though it was a spin-off of one of the greatest shows ever, it truly sucked.  300 episodes or so of the same shtick.  Make fun of a backwoods, uneducated schmo for 25 minutes and then end the show with his naivete somehow saving the day for everyone involved.  A totally unbelievable premise repeated over and over and over again.  :(  

The marines never learn.  If this was the coast guard, they would have caught on and just listened to him after the first several times that he was right or saved the day.

Sgt. Carter has an anger disorder.  Mr. Ed would have been a better sergeant, plus sergeant is a very weird word.  Weird is a weird word, too.

• Whatever 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The marines never learn.  If this was the coast guard, they would have caught on and just listened to him after the first several times that he was right or saved the day.

Sgt. Carter has an anger disorder.  Mr. Ed would have been a better sergeant, plus sergeant is a very weird word.  Weird is a weird word, too.

The whatevers will come fast and furious now until you make right your wrong.  

• Confused 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I actually misspelled sergeant often as a new Desk Sergeant.  No spellcheck on typewriters. You’d think I’d know how to spell my own freaking rank…

In the 1980’s Army, sergeant was often pronounced sar’ nt but you have to swallow the nt part.  The g is completely gone from the pronunciation.  

I always thought that weird…

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

You marked this as the solution?   

• Heart 1

I loved the Honeymooner so watching anything after that was almost always the same situation, same story, same result. So watching Gomer was entertaining as a child seeing I was 6 in 1969.

So the old stuff is fun to watch seeing all the new series, movies, what have you are all the same story with new people.  I don't even watch tv much at all because of it.

1 minute ago, Mr Beanz said:

I loved the Honeymooner so watching anything after that was almost always the same situation, same story, same result. So watching Gomer was entertaining as a child seeing I was 6 in 1969.

So the old stuff is fun to watch seeing all the new series, movies, what have you are all the same story with new people.  I don't even watch tv much at all because of it.

I think what makes it worse is that they show the reruns so often.  You could half-way watch the same story week after week, but Gomer and that other loser, Hogan's Heroes, each air twice nightly on the MeTV channel.  Ten of the same stories in one week is much more irritating that seeing it just once a week.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

I think what makes it worse is that they show the reruns so often.  You could half-way watch the same story week after week, but Gomer and that other loser, Hogan's Heroes, each air twice nightly on the MeTV channel.  Ten of the same stories in one week is much more irritating that seeing it just once a week.

OK, Hogan's Heroes, you got some credibility now.  I though that show sucked when I was 7 years old! :lol:

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I post a thread about King of Queens acknowledged as one of the best ever and get 2 replies.  

You post a thread on Gomer Pyle and it's now on page 6.  :dontknow:

BTW, there was discussion in the day about Goober having his own show. 

Goober Pyle's Station

That is because King of Queens did nothing but copy the Honeymooners! :D

I have to say that is a funny show. I have watched every episode over and over. ;)

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1