Betty or Duncan?

Randomguy

12 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

RO said she wants cake, and damned if I am gonna do it from scratch.  The GF says one is better than the other, but I forget which one.

Costco sheet cake?  An ice cream cake from BR?  Cheap Pepperidge Farm in the freezer section????

Or does she want to MAKE a cake?  That seems nuts.

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Meh, that stuff is poison, unlike wholesome cake mix with homemade buttercream frosting.  

Man, you just like wasting our time :(  No photos of you making a cake, no photos of you making frosting, and surely no photos of a cute RO eating a fully decorated cake in under 60 minutes. 

PF defrosting in the fridge on stand-by is my suggestion.  Then, if you do make a cake, you can eat the PF for lunch tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Man, you just like wasting our time :(  No photos of you making a cake, no photos of you making frosting, and surely no photos of a cute RO eating a fully decorated cake in under 60 minutes. 

PF defrosting in the fridge on stand-by is my suggestion.  Then, if you do make a cake, you can eat the PF for lunch tomorrow.

PF frozen cakes are garbage. You probably take them out to thaw, get high, then eat the whole cake. You just rode the opinion elevator down. 

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

PF frozen cakes are garbage. You probably take them out to thaw, get high, then eat the whole cake. You just rode the opinion elevator down. 

Have you seen RG??? I'm going with realistic probabilities here, and you need to be a realist not an idealist in this regard.  Get out of YOUR head and into HIS. He ain't baking no darn cake!

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Have you seen RG??? I'm going with realistic probabilities here, and you need to be a realist not an idealist in this regard.  Get out of YOUR head and into HIS. He ain't baking no darn cake!

I met RG. He stayed with me for a week in Vienna a few years ago. He can cook when he is motivated. He could do a scratch cake if he needed to. But kids like box cake mixes and stuff like that. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I met RG. He stayed with me for a week in Vienna a few years ago. He can cook when he is motivated. He could do a scratch cake if he needed to. But kids like box cake mixes and stuff like that. 

1 minute ago, denniS said:

This is true. The mix typically has the flour and a couple of ingredients already combined. Saves a step or two, but not much. 

So we will await his cake photos!  Clearly, he is hell bent on this cake thing, and we will get to see how in the weeds he is ready to go.  Go RG go!!!!

18 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Make it from scratch.  It really isn't that much more work than packaged crap. 

WRONG!   Well, kinda.  I usually make things from scratch when possible, but when I have RO I cheat a little bit because she isn't so discerning and cooking from scratch usually dirties a lot more dishes or calls for ingredients that I don't have or want to stock, plus it saves a little bit of time.  When I have her, I use a pancake mix that works fairly well (for pancakes) and I can just eyeball ingredients, for instance.   If I was making a cake, I'd have no idea what else I'd need for devils food, red velvet, or chocolate fudge cakes.  Otherwise, I would agree that starting from scratch yields a better product.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Whut?  I NEVER said I was making a cake, unless I did, which I might have, possibly.  I made red velvet last time I had her, it was good, even if it was from Betty Crocker.  Betty seems nice to me.

It is implicit: "RO said she wants cake, and damned if I am gonna do it from scratch.  " - you are not doing it by scratch, therefore, you will be buying a box mix (the Betty/Duncan topic!) or, as a more pragmatic and wiser member suggested, you can buy a pre-made cake from any number of sources.

BUT, since you chose the harder route (but not the hardest one), it seems you are going with a Betty Crocker box cake of unknown variety.  Just remember to post pics and to time the meal.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

It is implicit: "RO said she wants cake, and damned if I am gonna do it from scratch.  " - you are not doing it by scratch, therefore, you will be buying a box mix (the Betty/Duncan topic!) or, as a more pragmatic and wiser member suggested, you can buy a pre-made cake from any number of sources.

BUT, since you chose the harder route (but not the hardest one), it seems you are going with a Betty Crocker box cake of unknown variety.  Just remember to post pics and to time the meal.

You only chose to interpret it that way because it is true.

In my possession now is a Betty Crocker Butter Pecan cake mix, which I had never seen before.  I ordered a chocolate fudge mix that will be delivered tonight, RO will probably choose that one.

• Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

In my possession now is a Betty Crocker Butter Pecan cake mix, which I had never seen before.  I ordered a chocolate fudge mix that will be delivered tonight, RO will probably choose that one.

Make BOTH!!!! :happyanim:

28 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Bundt cakes are suspicious and are a plot to infect our minds.  I don't know the plotter, but the lack of icing is a dead giveaway of criminal intent.

You could pour chocolate syrup or marshallow creme over it.  My wife dusts it with powdered sugar.

I am sure you could bake it a round cake pan and not totally ruin it.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Make it from scratch.  It really isn't that much more work than packaged crap. 

My sons GF enjoys baking and the past few years has been out go to for bday cakes.  She makes them from scratch, not a box mix.

She said she wanted to experiment with an Angel food cake for my bday this year. I said go for it! I’m sure it will be good.  

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

WTF!  I thought Duncan Hines was superior and Betty was a ho?  What happened? :dontknow:

16 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

WTF!  I thought Duncan Hines was superior and Betty was a ho?  What happened? :dontknow:

Phil...we've moved on. A LOT.  Please stick with the conversation, and discuss swirls vs chips vs nuts in ice cream and the best way for RG churn some this weekend.