Only a monster would crush saltines before adding them to tomato soup

Randomguy
Go to solution Solved by Razors Edge,

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Read number 7 you unsophisticated rhubarb.

https://www.spoonfulofcomfort.com/blog/the-proper-way-to-eat-soup/

I'm concerned about the accuracy of #4.  I too have be told to spoon away from me, but this reasoning (below) is unconvincing.  An unmentioned reason (or two) is more reasonable to me, than the weird BS below.

4. Why Spoon Soup Away from You

Most people learn how to eat soup by scooping it toward their body. However, when you spoon it up in the opposite direction, any soup that falls off of the spoon will make its way back to the bowl instead of elsewhere. As you spoon your soup away from your body, you should also gently wipe the bottom of your spoon on the top edge of your bowl. This will take any extra soup off the bottom of your spoon so the drips don’t end up in your lap. No mess, no fuss.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm concerned about the accuracy of #4.  I too have be told to spoon away from me, but this reasoning (below) is unconvincing.  An unmentioned reason (or two) is more reasonable to me, than the weird BS below.

4. Why Spoon Soup Away from You

Most people learn how to eat soup by scooping it toward their body. However, when you spoon it up in the opposite direction, any soup that falls off of the spoon will make its way back to the bowl instead of elsewhere. As you spoon your soup away from your body, you should also gently wipe the bottom of your spoon on the top edge of your bowl. This will take any extra soup off the bottom of your spoon so the drips don’t end up in your lap. No mess, no fuss.

Do you expect me to actually read the drivel I cut and paste?  Next you will want me to read the other posts in the forum to make sure I am not parodying a parody.  Sheesh.  You and Kzoo need to go at crackers to your soap.

• Heart 1

36 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I put whole stacked crackers in the soup, then break submerged with the spoon.  Three crackers at a time, usually.

I feel this is the most fun way, plus it preserves the crunch best relative to other ways.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

It says I am doing it the right way, you heathen!

"For saltines, you should add a few at a time"

How is the whole stack of crackers the same as a few at a time?  How!  HOW DAMN IT!!!!???

• Haha 1

My grandmother would have them on a small plate next to her soup bowl, and she'd usually put butter on the saltines.  I'm not a fan of butter on the saltines, but I like the contrast in texture and adding them to the soup makes them too mushy.  Plus that's just how we do it. :nodhead:

• Heart 3

Just now, Kirby said:

My grandmother would have them on a small plate next to her soup bowl, and she'd usually put butter on the saltines.  I'm not a fan of butter on the saltines, but I like the contrast in texture and adding them to the soup makes them too mushy.  Plus that's just how we do it. :nodhead:

Kirby, listen to your grandmother.  She knew.. 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I like saltines with butter, my brother and I ate those a lot as kids as snacks.  Never with butter in soup, though.

5 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

And family restaurants had a variety of crackers in a basket on the table. 

The magic only happens when you add them to soup, though, right?

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Kirby said:

This is of course the correct way.  You don't put beer nuts in your beer.  You keep them on the side.  Sip of beer, a few beer nuts.  

• Heart 1

Just now, Randomguy said:

The magic only happens when you add them to soup, though, right?

My grandfather showed me to place a bit of salad soaked in dressing on a cracker and eat it. I like to use a slab of rye crisp or a pita chip, especially if there’s feta cheese in the salad. 

• Heart 1

We never put crackers in soup growing up so I can’t really wrap my head around that. But my mom always put a scoop of rice in our soup so that became a thing with my kids too. 

There is a local seafood place that serves a great red clam chowder.  Yeah yeah I know NE chowdah is where it’s at but I like their red.  Anyway they give you these little bread balls that are as hard as a rock.  I like to soak a couple of those in the soup but you gotta bust them open first or the broth won’t soak in.