Tell me what's great about where you live

Kirby

With all these threads about being not great, I wanted to focus on what is great about where you live.  What do you like about where you live?  Scenery?  Climate?  Proximity to family?  Business/jobs?  Medical care?  Restaurants and culture? Convenience? Friendly people and community spirit?

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, Kirby said:

With all these threads about being not great, I wanted to focus on what is great about where you live.  What do you like about where you live?  Scenery?  Climate?  Proximity to family?  Business/jobs?  Medical care?  Restaurants and culture? Convenience? Friendly people and community spirit?

There are fewer people right here than in most places.  I have to admit though that if I were younger that it's time to be looking for a place where there are even fewer people.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

What do you like about where you live? 

Scenery?    I live 15 minutes from Starved Rock State Park, that has great hiking trails and good food.  WoBG and I had lunch out of the terrace overlooking the Illinois River just yesterday.   We walk our dogs along the Ottawa River trail, just about every day.

Climate?  We like the 4 seasons.  

Proximity to family?  Most of my family is within a 90 minute drive.

Business/jobs?   Job... who needs a job?

Medical care?   It could be better... but then again, we have survived so far so they must be good.

Restaurants and culture?    We have lots of great restaurants.   And soon when I'm done typing, WoBG and I will be going to Octoberfest (in September??) 

Convenience?  Everything we need is close.  If it's not here, 90 minutes NW, the Chicago arear can provide the rest.

Friendly people and community spirit?   Yes... 

• Heart 1

For 6 months a year we have best climate in the world. With GW, that will go to 8 months a year by 2050. 

Unlimited supply of fresh water. 

Medium size city with small town vibe. 

2 pro sports teams. 

Great medical care. 

Great lower end food: Chicken Wings, Pizza, subs, Beef on Weck, hot dog joints are awesome. Great medical care for those who enjoy our food. 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

For 6 months a year we have best climate in the world. With GW, that will go to 8 months a year by 2050. 

Unlimited supply of fresh water. 

Medium size city with small town vibe. 

2 pro sports teams. 

Great medical care. 

Great lower end food: Chicken Wings, Pizza, subs, Beef on Weck, hot dog joints are awesome. Great medical care for those who enjoy our food. 

Did you forget fish fries?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Location, climate, scenery, proximity to family and friends, things to do, job opportunities, etc. 

we live in the Piedmont area of Virginia, some 60 miles southwest of Washington DC. Touristy and historical sites are everywhere. The cycling is great and there is good infrastructure for everyone to enjoy outdoor activities. An excellent variety of food from cultures around the globe. Most people here are from somewhere else and I find that makes it easier to strike up conversations with people you don’t know. A good variety of professional sports. The Blue Ridge mountains and the Shenandoah Valley and national parks are nearby as is the Appalachian Trail. We also have the C&O Canal trail and the Potomac River empties into the Chesapeake Bay. The Atlantic beaches are only 3.5 hours from here as well. 

• Heart 4

The weather for sure.  I’m close enough to the Pacific that we don’t get the temp swings that inland areas get.   Our avg temp is 72 degrees. Also lots of outdoor activities.  There aren’t too many places you could surf & ski in the same day, shoot if you started early enough same morning. 

I also like that SoCal is an ethnic melting pot.  Especially with the food options. Korean, German, Vietnamese, Mexican, Italian, we have it and more.

• Heart 2

Affordable housing, lots of educational opportunities, world class health care. Lots of public land open to hiking, riding, hunting, fishing, a lot of outdoor activities. Scenic. Decent employment opportunities. GAP trail and Appalachian Trail are within 35 miles of me. There are still low traffic roads for riding, but the traffic that is on the roads I don't trust, and so I have quit road riding.

• Heart 3
  • Sad 1

Physically, we have the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries and lots of places to fish, swim, crab, etc., and three major cities within a 90 minute drive (Baltimore, Washington, Philadelphia), provide lots of top-rate sports, museums, concert halls, restaurants, parks, etc. etc.

Climate-wise, we usually have mild Winters, though we usually get hit every several years with a couple 20+" snows and a bunch of 6-12" ones. Our winter heating bills are much less than those to our north.  We have great Springs and Falls and horrible, hot, very-very-humid summers.  Summer is the price we pay for "The Land of Pleasant Living."

The smartest thing Marylanders ever did was donate the land for the Nation's Capital.  As a result, a solid 19.3% of the workforce has very-stable, decent-paying, federal, state, or local government jobs with pensions and Maryland has the highest avg. income in the nation.  As a result, we also have relatively high costs of living, but that's accompanied by the 2nd highest rated state education system with the 2nd highest college graduation rate among our young people, very good medical facilities and the highest rated U.S. hospital in Johns Hopkins and an emergency shock-trauma system that the U.S. Army is studying in order to copy it.

The people here tend to be friendly and I think it's a state law that every third sentence must end in the word, "Hon," short for "Honey."  This week, a 30ist supermarket cashier gave 70 year-old me the standard greeting, "Did you find everything you were looking for, Hon?"

I had considered renting out my house and spending several years based in Provence, France, where I speak French well enough to get by and it's a great base for traveling in Europe and N. Africa.  But we have a very close extended family, not only in Maryland but spread across PA, NJ, and Va, and I didn't want to miss my nephews growing up, etc.

And then there are my former students and athletes who keep in touch, like Jennifer:

64260553_460864741342051_3027269984477773824_n.jpg.a15912945fdf1d73843aa54ae1012c95.jpg

• Heart 1

There's a lot of beauty where I live.  Maybe not as much as @denniS but we're not too shabby.  We do have many ports along the Salish Sea/Puget Sound and easy access to Mt. Baker.  So the geography is pretty awesome.  It was a key selling point as to why we moved here.  We also have a major state college in town, and just to the north we have tremendous produce and farm land.  Easy access to the San Juan Islands and a National Park.  Plus Canada is just to the north of us so when they open the border back up, we have easy access to all the stripper bars.

• Heart 2

38 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Physically, we have the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries and lots of places to fish, swim, crab, etc., and three major cities within a 90 minute drive (Baltimore, Washington, Philadelphia), provide lots of top-rate sports, museums, concert halls, restaurants, parks, etc. etc.

Climate-wise, we usually have mild Winters, though we usually get hit every several years with a couple 20+" snows and a bunch of 6-12" ones. Our winter heating bills are much less than those to our north.  We have great Springs and Falls and horrible, hot, very-very-humid summers.  Summer is the price we pay for "The Land of Pleasant Living."

The smartest thing Marylanders ever did was donate the land for the Nation's Capital.  As a result, a solid 19.3% of the workforce has very-stable, decent-paying, federal, state, or local government jobs with pensions and Maryland has the highest avg. income in the nation.  As a result, we also have relatively high costs of living, but that's accompanied by the 2nd highest rated state education system with the 2nd highest college graduation rate among our young people, very good medical facilities and the highest rated U.S. hospital in Johns Hopkins and an emergency shock-trauma system that the U.S. Army is studying in order to copy it.

The people here tend to be friendly and I think it's a state law that every third sentence must end in the word, "Hon," short for "Honey."  This week, a 30ist supermarket cashier gave 70 year-old me the standard greeting, "Did you find everything you were looking for, Hon?"

I had considered renting out my house and spending several years based in Provence, France, where I speak French well enough to get by and it's a great base for traveling in Europe and N. Africa.  But we have a very close extended family, not only in Maryland but spread across PA, NJ, and Va, and I didn't want to miss my nephews growing up, etc.

And then there are my former students and athletes who keep in touch, like Jennifer:

64260553_460864741342051_3027269984477773824_n.jpg.a15912945fdf1d73843aa54ae1012c95.jpg

I'll bet your thoughts were pure and you were very concerned about her education.  Either that, or you were concerned for you life.

6 minutes ago, Dottles said:

There's a lot of beauty where I live.  Maybe not as much as @denniS but we're not too shabby.  We do have many ports along the Salish Sea/Puget Sound and easy access to Mt. Baker.  So the geography is pretty awesome.  It was a key selling point as to why we moved here.  We also have a major state college in town, and just to the north we have tremendous produce and farm land.  Easy access to the San Juan Islands and a National Park.  Plus Canada is just to the north of us so when they open the border back up, we have easy access to all the stripper bars.

I loved it up you way the few times I was up there fishing with my bro.  It’s so lush & green and the rivers, lakes & sound have their own unique beauty. 

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

It’s so lush & green and the rivers, lakes & sound have their own unique beauty. 

I think it's really an arid thing versus a water thing.  The dry lands have their own beauty too.  I'm just not a fan of the expansive flat and arid thing -- unless, of course, it's up against the ocean.  :)

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

Is having a major state college in your town a plus or does it just cost you more for police protection?

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Is having a major state college in your town a plus or does it just cost you more for police protection?

It’s on the South side of town and I’m up north. It’s a party downtown Friday and Saturday nights but no major issues as far as I can tell. I mean nothing that hits the press. I like it because i don’t live in it but I think it brings in a good mixture to the city. But then I don’t live in it — the college area.

9 minutes ago, Dottles said:

It’s on the South side of town and I’m up north. It’s a party downtown Friday and Saturday nights but no major issues as far as I can tell. I mean nothing that hits the press. I like it because i don’t live in it but I think it brings in a good mixture to the city. But then I don’t live in it — the college area.

UCONN is a couple of towns over from here.  They have parties.  Sometimes they favor overturning and burning furniture and cars.  Of course that's only a few of the many students there.  They seem to have changed since I attended.  Of course my viewpoint was post 2 tours in the service as an incoming Freshman (with prior credits)

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

UCONN is a couple of towns over from here.  They have parties.  Sometimes they favor overturning and burning furniture and cars.  Of course that's only a few of the many students there.  They seem to have changed since I attended.  Of course my viewpoint was post 2 tours in the service as an incoming Freshman (with prior credits)

Thank you for your service.

27 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Well I can’t thank you for your race cars so that seemed solid.

Thanking us for killing a lot of people with no good result is futile.  In my time we didn't have the will power to win.  In modern times knowing that we don't have the will power to win I'm disappointed that we don't have the will power not to start.  Just my opinion.

• Heart 2