You're stressed, you need a break, you feel spiritually depleted, etc... how much would you spend?

Dottleshead
Go to solution Solved by Dottleshead,

I spend a lot of time with my wife.  We are like two peas in a pod.  I recently scheduled to take my final week of vacation the first week of October.  Basically I'm burned out and both my wife and I agree that we could use a break from one another.  I could go visit my friend in Baltimore but that'd literally take 2 full days of travel to get there and back and would be costlier.  I could also fly south to the warmer weather but that little getaway now is starting to pile up the expenses when you consider airfare, lodging, car rental, food, and entertainment for 3 or 4 days.  Staying home is not a vacation because all I ever do is spend time in my home.  Heading into the Cascades at this time of year is an option but probably not ideal since outdoor sports in the cold rain (most likely) isn't my cup of tea. I'm thinking about heading out to one of the San Juan Islands for about $90 a night at a rustic inn on or near one of the secluded island marinas.  The whole thing would put the 4 nights around $400 plus a $50 ferry ride.  So going to Orcas Island would cost me about $600 total for 4 nights, and the ferry terminal is probably about 40 miles from here instead of thousands of miles to fly somewhere.  Expensive but a whole lot easier and cheaper than going to the airport during covid.  Plus my wife could join me after a night or two.  But I think $600 smackaroos is a lot when considering I could just hit all the local coffee shops here, smell the coffee, figure out where the hell I'm at in my life, figure out where I want to go, and hang out at local parks (and we've got some great ones here) here in town if I wanted.... but I wouldn't exactly call that a vacation either. In fact, that's more the same.  If this were the summer, I'd plan a bike ride across the state -- but not in October.

How much would you pay for 4 nights for a getaway primarily for yourself?

Now think about those 4 nights in the dank and dark Pacific Northwest fall season when outdoor recreation is going to be a challenge.  Not impossible but it would also not surprise me if we had 4 straight days of heavy downpour either.  I see taking my laptop (surfing only), going into the small towns and marinas for coffee and meals, bringing a book, maybe do some journaling, etc... reading and snoozing.  Essentially the goal is to unwind.  It's a long damn work year and I gotsta fill my sails every now or then or life gets ugly.

That's a tough one.  Travel can be done much cheaper if you try.  Look into air b&b's.  We have had great luck with them.  Rent a camper?  Go get lost somewhere in the camper.  Take a bike.  Go rent a yak and paddle a river or creek for a bit?  Or take the wife and do something completely different that you guys would never normally do.  Might give you a new perspective on each other.  

• Heart 4

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

How much would you pay for 4 nights for a getaway primarily for yourself?

Me? No kids, no bills, no responsibilities?  As much as I want. 

But you have to be realistic and tie it to your cicurmstances.

If I had a week off, I'd take a WEEK off.  Maximize the time off, and since travel (usually airfare) is almost a fixed cost - ie $500 whether for 2 days or 7 days - might as well go for the max time possible.

There are lots of pleasant places you could visit for a week - from camping in an NP to just a hotel at a beach or a trip to the CO mountains.

3 hours ago, Dottles said:

If this were the summer, I'd plan a bike ride across the state -- but not in October.

https://www.rei.com/product/175338/rei-co-op-junction-cycling-rain-jacket-mens

I used to ride, just about all year, as long as the temps were above 32 and there was no snow or ice on the roads.   I got older... (not necessarily smarter) and don't ride over the winter much.

How could can it get there in October?

As long as you have the cash for it and don't need to finance through credit cards  (and for this calculation assume Mrs Dottles is going to spend the same amount that you do for herself), then I wouldn't worry too much.  Sometimes even a short break can be very helpful.

I would maybe drive to Oklahoma and find something overlooking a river or a lake.

Or go sailing, but that is work.  

If money were not an option, I would find a train with a dining car, a bar car and sleeper cars and one of those two stories glass topped cars.  

9 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Or go sailing, but that is work.  

Under $2k gets him and his wife a super easy and relaxing trip to Alaska and glaciers - all food, drinks, travel, and entertainment included. Almost literally out his front door.

image.png.611afe6ea4f50394367af339c7651f33.png

image.thumb.png.a3f2bc5157a37b053b087b5e02238226.png

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Dottles said:

I see taking my laptop

Leave the laptop home.

Instead, use the laptop before you leave to map out all the interesting places you want to visit, wherever you end up.  Then take the time you would have spent on the laptop and instead spend it going to all those places.

Part of 'recharging' is creating a different routine for a few days.  Leaving the laptop behind and getting less screen time will help you feel more like you're getting away from your routine daily cycle.

And, odds are the world isn't going to go too far to hell in a handbasket if you don't have instantaneous access to what's is going on back in the real world.  If a zombie apocalypse does occur, you can deal with it when you get back.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

https://www.rei.com/product/175338/rei-co-op-junction-cycling-rain-jacket-mens

I used to ride, just about all year, as long as the temps were above 32 and there was no snow or ice on the roads.   I got older... (not necessarily smarter) and don't ride over the winter much.

How could can it get there in October?

I have the great rain gear too.  But I've gotten fatter and that shit is ripping at the seams and I'm not going to invest in more, expensive rain gear.  I also don't ride in plastic ponchos.  :)

I'm about 10/15 pounds off from being back to where I was.  So chalk this up to being more motivation to get off my phat arse.

Just now, Dottles said:

I have the great rain gear too.  But I've gotten fatter and that shit is ripping at the seams and I'm not going to invest in more, expensive rain gear.  I also don't ride in plastic ponchos.  :)

So what did you decide to do?

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Leave the laptop home.

Instead, use the laptop before you leave to map out all the interesting places you want to visit, wherever you end up.  Then take the time you would have spent on the laptop and instead spend it going to all those places.

Part of 'recharging' is creating a different routine for a few days.  Leaving the laptop behind and getting less screen time will help you feel more like you're getting away from your routine daily cycle.

And, odds are the world isn't going to go too far to hell in a handbasket if you don't have instantaneous access to what's is going on back in the real world.  If a zombie apocalypse does occur, you can deal with it when you get back.

I was debating the laptop.  I'd like to leave my phone at home too and just get off the grid entirely.  But I'll need it, no doubt, to communicate with my wife to go pick her up at the ferry terminal, etc if needed.  I like your thinking.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So what did you decide to do?

Still deciding as I need to speak to my friend in Baltimore -- but I'm pretty sure I'm not heading out that way.  He's really a great chap and I seldom get the opportunity to go that way (it's been almost 15 years since I made the last trip) but Baltimore is not going to fill my sails.  I'm thinking the San Juan Islands because they're not far away, yet totally remote, and there's plenty of hiking/exploring and/or island hopping to do.  Once you ferry out to the islands, inter-island rides are free.  That means Orcas Island, San Juan Island, Shaw Island, and Lopez Island. Plus my wife could come and visit me.  And I could stay there for the cost of an airplane ticket to the East Coast.  If I go south, my wife would want and deserve to go with me.  So I keep it local methinks.

Why??  Are you asking me out on a date?

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

Still deciding as I need to speak to my friend in Baltimore -- but I'm pretty sure I'm not heading out that way.  He's really a great chap and I seldom get the opportunity to go that way (it's been almost 15 years since I made the last trip) but Baltimore is not going to fill my sails.  I'm thinking the San Juan Islands because they're not far away, yet totally remote, and there's plenty of hiking/exploring and/or island hopping to do.  Once you ferry out to the islands, inter-island rides are free.  That means Orcas Island, San Juan Island, Shaw Island, and Lopez Island. Plus my wife could come and visit me.  And I could stay there for the cost of an airplane ticket to the East Coast.  If I go south, my wife would want and deserve to go with me.  So I keep it local methinks.

So you find a place (Orcas Island, San Juan Island, Shaw Island, and Lopez Island)....   convince your friend to visit you on the island for a few days.  Then have your wife come over for the last few days.  

And leave the laptop at home... 

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I worry about you!  Out there on the west coast surrounded by maniacs!!!!!  Lucky, you're not down near @denniS where you would have to fear wild life and maniacs.

So I thought you moved out to California?  If you're out here -- no wonder we get a bad name.

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Uh oh...  I didn't realize it was contagious.

PM me, and I'll give you the name of my really good, expensive psychologist. 

;)

If you've ever had a really good psychologist -- you know AA group therapy programs are bullshit.  Now, where the hell is my drink?!??

8 hours ago, Kirby said:

As long as you have the cash for it and don't need to finance through credit cards  (and for this calculation assume Mrs Dottles is going to spend the same amount that you do for herself), then I wouldn't worry too much.  Sometimes even a short break can be very helpful.

Maybe.  The cash thing will be close.

What do you guys think about this dump?  I found it on Whidbey Island.  It's 50 bucks more a night but I could shave off a night and keep it under $500. A shorter trip means less food/entertainment costs too.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/48944109/photos?check_in=2021-10-03&check_out=2021-10-06&federated_search_id=0672d76a-8fd9-4f50-99e7-76f74c2b28ea&source_impression_id=p3_1632340140_lRnaQ1dwNUy23QYx&guests=1&adults=1

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

What do you guys think about this dump?  I found it on Whidbey Island.  It's 50 bucks more a night but I could shave off a night and keep it under $500. A shorter trip means less food/entertainment costs too.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/48944109/photos?check_in=2021-10-03&check_out=2021-10-06&federated_search_id=0672d76a-8fd9-4f50-99e7-76f74c2b28ea&source_impression_id=p3_1632340140_lRnaQ1dwNUy23QYx&guests=1&adults=1

Why shorten it? I say LENGTHEN it.

Does he come with the deal?

0548ad68-2779-483e-ab8d-7171aff34402.jpe

• Haha 1