You're stressed, you need a break, you feel spiritually depleted, etc... how much would you spend?

Dottleshead
Go to solution Solved by Dottleshead,

4 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Yeah, there’s a large section of the Middle East that would be fascinating to visit but too dangerous to consider, IMO. I don’t think I’d even try to visit Turkey in this age.

I feel like we just dodged that bullet when we visited Turkey.  I still think Turkey is safe for travel, it is just "unfriendly" and not a place (regime) that we ought to be supporting with US dollars :(

I still think places like Israel or Jordan can be fine (and are packed with good stuff to see), and Bahrain, Oman, or UAE seem open, but Egypt (the crown jewel), where folks have been headed back to recently still has a tinge of worry to it.  Pretty much most others seem in a bad way and/or unfriendly. 

I've had so much stress this year and need a vacation. If I was comfortable about traveling, I'd spend up to $3,000 for a great out-of-country, week to 10 days vacation.

As it is, I'm probably going to spend a week with a cousin out-of-state in PA or NJ.  Unfortunately, the one cousin who really wants me to come, stocks cases of great wine, has a great swimming pool in the yard and a great location for hiking and biking in the country in NE New Jersey, has NOT gotten the COVID vaccination, is anti-mask, and interacts too many people for me to risk it.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I've had so much stress this year and need a vacation. If I was comfortable about traveling, I'd spend up to $3,000 for a great out-of-country, week to 10 days vacation.

As it is, I'm probably going to spend a week with a cousin out-of-state in PA or NJ.  Unfortunately, the one cousin who really wants me to come, stocks cases of great wine, has a great swimming pool in the yard and a great location for hiking and biking in the country in NE New Jersey, has NOT gotten the COVID vaccination, is anti-mask, and interacts too many people for me to risk it.

Yeah.  I'd love to get out of country or at least the continent.  Taking a Self-Care vacation can be quite helpful and traveling outside ones own country seems to help.  I mean that's a break-break.  But I decided I didn't want to get on a plane and since I only had 7-9 days, I wasn't going to drive more than two hours each way.  And since it's the winter, I probably wasn't going into the mountains.  The San Juan Islands -- just off the coast of me -- seemed to be the perfect alternative.  Quiet.  Solitude.  Coffee shop(s).  Couple restaurants.  And total seclusion.  I'm going off the grid.  It's a 30 minute drive to the terminal from my house.  

Take care of yourself, Mick.  If you don't, nobody else will.

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...

If I was just doing a getaway and not a planned major vacation, I'd spend about $1500, tops and I would look for trips where I could enjoy the scenery and not spend a lot of time in crowded places.  That rules out cruises, a NYC trip centered on now-fully-open Broadway plays, etc.

One possibility would be a drive across the country to clear my head of everything - with my cell phone turned off most of the time.

I did that in the past in 1990 when I was really stressed out, driving from Baltimore to Wisconsin to South Dakota to Wyoming to Yellowstone National Park and back, staying at Motel 6's and whatever else was cheap and mostly eating in restaurants.  It really recharged my batteries!

Outside the USA, I'd have to check on tourist restrictions.  I could fly and explore a land of my ancestors by car (there's a river and a bay in Ireland with my last name: the Cashen River and the Bay of Cashen). Poland, even though I've located the remote county where my mother's maiden name originated (Gryskiewicz), is a problem because there's a mandatory 10-day quarantine even if you're vaccinated.

Flights to Ireland from the USA are cheap and: "Since 19 July...Ireland will also be welcoming visitors from Great Britain or North America who have valid proof of vaccination (with an EMA-approved vaccine) or have valid proof of recovery from COVID-19 in the last 180 days. Only people who are fully vaccinated, or who have proof of recovery from COVID-19 in the past six months, will be able to avail of indoor hospitality during their stay in the Republic of Ireland."

Another possibility is to check out budgettravel.com and other sites for some great drive-to USA and Canada, trips, and overseas air & hotel trips that can be pretty cheap after September.

There's New Hampshire Fall Escape at the Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa, Jackson, $189/night hotel room for 2 including breakfast and 3-course dinner:

• This is a true getaway: There are only 16 rooms, each individually decorated with colonial-style furnishing as well as gas fireplaces, Whirlpool jetted tubs and steam showers
  • The hotel sits at the base of White Mountain National Forest, where you'll find a bevy of year-round activities including hiking, skiing and mountain biking
  • If you'd rather indulge in some R&R, there's also a full-service spa, plus loads of restaurants and boutique shopping in North Conway (just a 15-minute drive away)

• Heart 1

On 10/5/2021 at 10:36 AM, MickinMD said:

If I was just doing a getaway and not a planned major vacation, I'd spend about $1500, tops and I would look for trips where I could enjoy the scenery and not spend a lot of time in crowded places.  That rules out cruises, a NYC trip centered on now-fully-open Broadway plays, etc.

One possibility would be a drive across the country to clear my head of everything - with my cell phone turned off most of the time.

I did that in the past in 1990 when I was really stressed out, driving from Baltimore to Wisconsin to South Dakota to Wyoming to Yellowstone National Park and back, staying at Motel 6's and whatever else was cheap and mostly eating in restaurants.  It really recharged my batteries!

Outside the USA, I'd have to check on tourist restrictions.  I could fly and explore a land of my ancestors by car (there's a river and a bay in Ireland with my last name: the Cashen River and the Bay of Cashen). Poland, even though I've located the remote county where my mother's maiden name originated (Gryskiewicz), is a problem because there's a mandatory 10-day quarantine even if you're vaccinated.

Flights to Ireland from the USA are cheap and: "Since 19 July...Ireland will also be welcoming visitors from Great Britain or North America who have valid proof of vaccination (with an EMA-approved vaccine) or have valid proof of recovery from COVID-19 in the last 180 days. Only people who are fully vaccinated, or who have proof of recovery from COVID-19 in the past six months, will be able to avail of indoor hospitality during their stay in the Republic of Ireland."

Another possibility is to check out budgettravel.com and other sites for some great drive-to USA and Canada, trips, and overseas air & hotel trips that can be pretty cheap after September.

There's New Hampshire Fall Escape at the Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa, Jackson, $189/night hotel room for 2 including breakfast and 3-course dinner:

• This is a true getaway: There are only 16 rooms, each individually decorated with colonial-style furnishing as well as gas fireplaces, Whirlpool jetted tubs and steam showers
  • The hotel sits at the base of White Mountain National Forest, where you'll find a bevy of year-round activities including hiking, skiing and mountain biking
  • If you'd rather indulge in some R&R, there's also a full-service spa, plus loads of restaurants and boutique shopping in North Conway (just a 15-minute drive away)

Go do Ireland. It’s worth it. The southwest is pretty great. 

23 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I am sorry that it sounds like you are going to come back highly stressed.

Thank you for the thought Air. I’m ok now that I’m waiting in an official wait line. It could be a long day yet but there appears to be a way forward. I fortunately do not have to work tomorrow.