Park ride commute and why is the only emoticon for biking a crashing one?

Dirtyhip

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Planning to MTB to work today.  Well, 1/2 will be MTB, and then I have to jump on the path.  Very much excited about this.  This is one of the reasons we bought this place.  I'll have a backpack on for the ride, so no funny bizness on the way there.  Just easy going dirt ride.  I wonder if I could fit my things in the soft bags.  <lightbulb>

The weekend rain gave us some hero dirt yesterday.  It will likely be moist this morning.

There are beet greens for the chickies on my way out.  

Sincerely,

A happy cyclist

:D

I am hoping all of our rain gives us a "hero creek" for Thursday.  I would like to paddle some on my day off.  Enjoy your ride.  

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I wonder if I could fit my things in the soft bags.

Several companies make garment bag panniers for the rear rack.  I've got a set from Nashbar and they work very well.  Unfortunately Nashbar doesn't make (or sell) them anymore.  From what I've seen the companies that do make them charge a fair amount more than Nashbar did, but the reviews on those are pretty good.

image.png.40a3a52007e41524596bd149a053e2ac.png

22 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Several companies make garment bag panniers for the rear rack.  I've got a set from Nashbar and they work very well.  Unfortunately Nashbar doesn't make (or sell) them anymore.  From what I've seen the companies that do make them charge a fair amount more than Nashbar did, but the reviews on those are pretty good.

image.png.40a3a52007e41524596bd149a053e2ac.png

That won't fit on Brutus.  I am looking at a soft bag option.  

Why do I have so much stuff to carry?  

19 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Bike packers like these huge seatbags:

900234b1-1738-44b7-8d65-7fbdcfe0a267?siz

I have this on my bench right now.  It is not that easy to use and ya still have a more clunky bike this way.  I am gonna try it, but am pessimistic on this one.  Space is usually the issue on the ride back. All that heavy clothing is being carried back. I could hike that stuff over to my truck that will be within very close proximity. 

The park ride ws fun, but it left me at this zone where the car congestion is quite high.  I don't know.  Maybe save the schralp for my lunch hour and go direct ti work.  I did find a nice little go around.  It makes me climb over s good hill, but it is all resi.

Traffic is fun....My primary commute route is closed due to road construction. The only feasible detour is through a school zone. The kids are fine. It's the parents who drop off their kids, then are in a huge rush to their next destination who are the issue. They all want to get past me before the roundabout even though they are slower than me through it! One mom was going to pass me as I was entering the roundabout, but thought the better of it the last second. 

My alternate route is better after work, but I avoid it in the morning. It goes through a group of medical offices and all the patients are getting to their 8:00 appointments. 

46 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I have this on my bench right now.  It is not that easy to use and ya still have a more clunky bike this way.  I am gonna try it, but am pessimistic on this one.  Space is usually the issue on the ride back. All that heavy clothing is being carried back. I could hike that stuff over to my truck that will be within very close proximity. 

The park ride ws fun, but it left me at this zone where the car congestion is quite high.  I don't know.  Maybe save the schralp for my lunch hour and go direct ti work.  I did find a nice little go around.  It makes me climb over s good hill, but it is all resi.

What exactly are you toting?  A week's worth of clothes?  Multiple sets of shoes?  An anvil?

My "daily" carry was usually very limited as I kept a pair of shoes at work.  That just meant the relatively light shirt, pants, underwear, and socks, plus a few other odds and ends.  My biggest annoyance was usually the laptop.  Even at only a few pounds, its relatively bulky.

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

What exactly are you toting?  A week's worth of clothes?  Multiple sets of shoes?  An anvil?

My "daily" carry was usually very limited as I kept a pair of shoes at work.  That just meant the relatively light shirt, pants, underwear, and socks, plus a few other odds and ends.  My biggest annoyance was usually the laptop.  Even at only a few pounds, its relatively bulky.

Today was leggings, a skirt, a shirt, my wallet, and my keys.  I have no lunch.  The bag was almost full. I have a pair of shoes at work.

The revelate bag rubbed my tire once and hindered the operation of my dropper post.  In the future, I will just ride the commuter. At least it keeps things off my back. 

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

I don't believe this to be true. With only this bag?  LIES!

So, what  bike is Brutus?  A FS with a dropper?  That definitely complicates things especially if you are riding MTB trails en route to work, so the suspension and the dropper come into play.  

What, if any mounting points does Brutus have?  I have a hard time imagining good spots for stuff on a FS MTB, but surely some of those maniacs the @denniS rolls with have to use a FS on some bikecamping adventures???

Just now, Razors Edge said:

So, what  bike is Brutus?  A FS with a dropper?  That definitely complicates things especially if you are riding MTB trails en route to work, so the suspension and the dropper come into play.  

What, if any mounting points does Brutus have?  I have a hard time imagining good spots for stuff on a FS MTB, but surely some of those maniacs the @denniS rolls with have to use a FS on some bikecamping adventures???

Brutus in a Specialized FSR FS MTB.  There are no attachment points.

This will likely be my last commute on Brutus.  I will save the fun for real fun. 

I might try the messenger bag again on my CX.  Brutus stays home..

• Sad 1