I Just Can't Cheat My Friends or Coworkers

Mr. Beanz

This really shocked me. I know another rider, female. Nice lady and her hubby is a really cool guy. I have to say I have never seen any "not so good" behavior on his part.  But her?

They had mentioned to Gina and I a few years ago that we should save up, whatever to go on an Alaskan cruise. They fly here and there, whatever then go on a cruise to Alaska. We're not into that kind of a thing but we said it sounds like fun, how much? They said for the 2 of them, about $10,000. WTH!!! :o We don't have $10,000 to throw around like that. She said neither do they, they take a loan every year to go. It takes them almost all year to pay it off. I can see once but they go just about every year now, maybe 4th time other than last year with the virus. 

Holy cow, if I were going to spend $10,000, I'd get new bikes for Gina and I ha ha ha!

So she does this walking mileage competition at work. Somehow they convert the bike mileage to walking mileage. Some kind of exchange for credit. So I see her Strava and she has a big amount of walking mileage. OK, wait, she rode her bike 40 miles then went for a 20 mile walk after the bike ride? Doesn't make sense. I'm about to give her kudos on her activities but notice something is really weird. So I message her and say something is wrong with her Strava and not sure if she notices it.

Something is wrong with your Strava! No there isn't! Yes there is! No there's not! Yes there is! 

Hey, I don't want her to mess up her mileage. At this point, I was just trying to be helpful. I added a second device, testing them using both on the same ride then realized I got double mileage credit that day. I realized she was using 2 devices so she was getting double mileage. As soon as I realized , couple minutes after I loaded my rides, I realized Stava was giving me double so I immediately deleted one of the activities. Now I know that if I use 2 devices and load both, I will get double the mileage. I log for my own info so no way do I want any extras that I didn't ride.

I thought something was strange. 40 mile ride outside, or 40 on the trainer then a 20 mile walk after the ride? Hmmm!

So I thought I would be helpful and point it out as I said. Something is wrong, no there isn't, I see something wrong, no there isn't. :dontknow:

Finally she sends me a private message that they are having a walking mileage contest at work and the pot is pretty big. I asked about cycling so she explained the swap difference, so many bike miles for a walking mile conversion. Oh I see. But your Strava says you walked 20 miles after a 40 mile bike ride, you have to be in pretty good shape to do that. Especially when your trainer rides are 20-21 MPH. I've ridden with her a few times and her average speed on the bike trail is about 15. So I told her that she's getting an awful lot of mileage because she's using 2 devices. I made that mistake before when I got my second device so I don't know if she knows, so I informed her.

Then she says that all she has to do is show the amount of mileage she has on strava walking.  The others won't know that she had double posts  and mileage and as long as she showed the mileage on Stava, they would give her credit.

OK, I see but the amount of mileage you are getting for walking is not correct, you're getting a ton more.

Then she says, yeah I know. But they don't know, I'm just trying to run up the mileage because the pot is huge. :o

Wow, OK! I ended up telling Gina about the situation then she says, well maybe they're in a financial bind right now. Could be but me, I'd never cheat that way. To make an extra buck, screw your friends and coworkers?

So then feeling it is not the right thing to do, actually down and dirty, I'm feeling kind of sorry for her. Wow, times are that tough!?

This was about a month ago, don't know if she won or not, or took the pot, but she posts all over the internet that they are again going on that Alaskan cruise. Another $10,000 ??? Maybe more this year ???

All I know, is that I could not cheat others to make an extra buck. Financial problems ? I guess so having to pay for another big vacation. I myself don't post 20 posts a day on facebook how to treat my fellow man and how to be righteous, but I surely wouldn't cheat to win a buck from anybody. 

My righteous is, don't take anything from anybody, you don't need it that bad! :nodhead:

I forgot to start my Cyclemeter on Saturday so my odometer is missing 34 miles. It’s on my Garmin but that’s not my cycling odometer. I don’t use Strava so I’m not double booking anywhere. I’m with you Beanzie, I couldn’t live with myself if I won a contest by cheating. I’m also not borrowing money for a vacation. I’ll stay home before I do that. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Mr Beanz said:

We don't have $10,000 to throw around like that. She said neither do they, they take a loan every year to go. It takes them almost all year to pay it off.

I wonder why they don't save the $$$ ahead of time? Or are they getting "free" financing of some sort?  Skip a year but save the 10k, then spend it, start saving again, spend it, etc.????  Sort of like buying cars?  Save up, buy, save up, buy...

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I wonder why they don't save the $$$ ahead of time? Or are they getting "free" financing of some sort?  Skip a year but save the 10k, then spend it, start saving again, spend it, etc.????  Sort of like buying cars?  Save up, buy, save up, buy...

I agree! Heck, never bought anything other than an auto with financing. I don't need toys or vacations if I can't pay for them in cash.

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

I agree! Heck, never bought anything other than an auto with financing. I don't need toys or vacations if I can't pay for them in cash.

We had to get a mortgage for our homes, but, yeah, not saving for vacation is a real shame especially if you are paying interest on it. 

• Confused 1