3 more month and the days get longer

bikeman564™

6 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

3 more month and the days get longer

:D

How many days until Spring???? 180?  Man, these shorter days start weighing on folks.  Less time for normal "life".  Soon, folks can start adding some pounds and adding a few layers of clothing and maybe stockpiling some firewood in preparation of winter :)

• Heart 1

We’re freezing some roasted green chilies on Wednesday. I have to move my desk from in front of the picture window because the sun shines into my eyes during fall and winter when it’s lower. The leaves need a couple more weeks to reach their autumn colors, then we’ll take a few scenic drives. I love this time of year.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

I don't mind the dark hours hitting early. Starting my rides about 6:00, I have to ride into the sunset for about 15 minutes. I'd rather it be totally dark or just about dark when I start my rides. I feel that I am easier seen with my lights on during rides.

This isn't as bad as the sun 10 minutes earlier where I had problems seeing the bike lane while being on a bike. So I worry about the drivers seeing me so I welcome the early darkness. :D

This image is vision generous. Sometimes it's really hard for drivers to see the bike lane.

C'mon darkness! :party:

Capture45.JPG

My gifted and talented high school physics students would ask me why Winter begins on the shortest daylight day of the year and why the shortest day doesn't occur in the Middle of Winter.

The reason is that there's a delay in how the ground and air above it cools as the days get shorter and the heat escaping from the ground helps warm the air until the ground finally loses the added heat it had stored during warmer weather and higher sun angles and that depleted heat condition roughly coincides with the Winter Solstice.

• Heart 1

I think about things like that - when the weather turns cold I start counting the days until March, which is still cold in these parts but you can see the light of Spring at the end of the tunnel!

But it bugs me that I do things like that because I used to feel sad for one of my high school teachers, who I taught with after I became a teacher, used to get a deskpad calendar before Fall classes started and mark all the days of school from 180 to 1 and count them down throughout the school year.  He was looking forward to finishing the school year before it even began! Meanwhile, I was looking forward to new lab activities I planned, how the cross country team I coached would do, who I would recruit to be on our school's team for the U. of Maryland Chemathon, etc. etc.

So I try to tell myself "It's the journey, not the destination," but I'm not a fan of cold weather. If reincarnation really happens, I must have lived around the Equator in my last life.