Do you ever wonder if you are becoming senile?

Road Runner

The older I get, the more I worry about it.  When I forgot things when I was young, it aggravated me, but it was no big deal.  Nowadays, when I forget stuff, I'm pretty sure it is a sign of dementia.  

So I went to BJ's today to pick up a bunch of the usual unneeded crap.  I was sure to take my coupons, my list, my keys and set the alarm on my house before I left.  When I got out of my truck at BJ's, I realized that I had forgotten my wallet.  At least I checked for it when I got out of my truck and didn't wait until after I had finished shopping!  I've done that before, too.   :(

• Sad 1

What was the question, I forgot! :D

No, I rarely forget stuff I need because I keep everything it its own place. Keys on the rack, shoes in the corner, wallet in the car caddy, mask on the dresser. Same when I cycling, equip bag on the cart, helmet in the case, lights in the box, Garmin on my desk.

But I do find it a pain in the arse when I forget something I placed ready to go and it's upstairs. Couple of times I have gotten things ready then forgot to grab my hat (things out of the norm) on the way down, Dammit , now I have to climb the stairs again. Not sure what my Dad was thinking when we built this house but the stairs are freaking steep. :wacko:

It's not my mind that's going, I worry about my legs. :unsure:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

There's no question I think more slowly and have less short term memory now at 70 than in my 50's and younger.  If I'm doing some deep-thinking things like chess regularly, my thinking and memory improves a lot.

If I don't check to see what groceries I have on stock and write what I need down on a phone list soon after I think about it, I don't do a good job shopping!

I'll look at a few NFL players that are free agents in a fantasy league, check their stats on another webpage, and forget who the other two are while checking out the first one.

My car's tire pressure dashboard icon came on as I was driving home, I looked at the tires, which looked fine, and decided to pump them up tomorrow.  I'll probably start driving away in my car and not remember a tire is low until I see the icon after I start the car.

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

The older I get, the more I worry about it.  When I forgot things when I was young, it aggravated me, but it was no big deal.  Nowadays, when I forget stuff, I'm pretty sure it is a sign of dementia.  

So I went to BJ's today to pick up a bunch of the usual unneeded crap.  I was sure to take my coupons, my list, my keys and set the alarm on my house before I left.  When I got out of my truck at BJ's, I realized that I had forgotten my wallet.  At least I checked for it when I got out of my truck and didn't wait until after I had finished shopping!  I've done that before, too.   :(

Well, as long as  you only forget your wallet at your house/car..and retrieve it quickly especially in the car due to car break-ins.

It's leaving behind your wallet at store/someone's house and yes, iPhone and if that happens too often, find ways to help self. It's more forgetting the critical stuff, that becomes a safety issue...leaving stove/fireplace on, et c. Or forgetting about certain things re your finances in terms of decision-making.

43 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I actually don’t mind climbing stairs many times because I can use the exercise. 

Riding my bike is my exercise. Doing a 40 mile ride then having to climb the stairs again after the legs cool down is kind of painful. I try to think of it as extra exercise but it always seems to come at a time I don't need that bit extra. :D

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I once owned a two story house.  Never again.  :) 

Our house was one level but my parent's dream was to have a 2 level so I spent my teen years doing construction. My father, I, and my useless older brother did it all ourselves except poor the cement for the foundation to move back as well. Let's say I'm really good with a shovel and a hammer. It was nice for a several years till they hit their 50's. Then they hated it but had put in so much work, they didn't want to sell. Spent about 5 years of my teen years working like a child slave and hated it. But now, it's paying back. Nice 2400 sq feet but hate the upstairs. When Mom passes, sell and split with one brother. House is worth a good chunk but next time, no upstairs. Hate it!

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I keep an emergency $40 in my glove compartment. A few times I have had to leave a cart full of groceries on standby while I dash out to the car.  

I have become quite dependent on phone reminders because I will forget shit seconds after I want to remember it. 

I usually have a wad of $1 bills in the glove compartment.  Those things are near worthless (to keep in a wallet) and it's a PITA to try to swap them for bigger bills.  They may come in handy one day like your emergency stash.